Time to move from shared to VPS - Which option is best?

DaveL

Hi everyone,
Seems my forum has outgrown shared hosting, as it's often slow to load and having regular "Resource limit reached" down pages. This is my current forum.

I'm currently paying £80 a year for shared hosting. I found found a few VPS options with OVH, but not sure which would be best. I would be using Plesk admin.

Cloud RAM VPS
OpenStack KVM
1 vCore(s) - 2GHz
6 GB RAM
25 GB SSD NEW
OpenStack KVM
£100

or

VPS SSD
1 vCore(s) - 2 GHz
4 GB RAM
40 GB SSD NEW
Local RAID
OpenStack KVM
£96

Seems that the Cloud RAM VPS is the best option of databases - So would be better for a forum?

I've seen an option on strato.de , however would have to sign up using Google Translate and concerned that everything would be in German once paid, so probably not really an option!

Going from shared to a VPS can be a bit daunting if you aren't familiar with server management so you might want to look into a managed provider, or if you're somewhat familiar having a panel like Plesk or cPanel can definitely make it easier to bridge that gap.

I'd definitely recommend a provider that has a site/support in your native language (English?) in case you need to work with support.

I thin you're going to run into a CPU bottleneck before a RAM bottleneck on either of those packages you mentioned so I'd go for the second one to get more disk space for less money. 4GB of RAM will go a lot farther than 1 CPU core if you have an efficiently setup web stack.

:rolleyes: I recommend DigitalOcean, Vultr over OVH, pair with Centmin Mod by @eva2000 :rolleyes: Use everything Centmin Mod supports: pagepspeed, brotily, pgo, dual ssl, and maybe and extra layer of CloudFlare protection :whistle: I am using those combination in my community and the results is pretty good, my users love the response time even the server isn't a local provider, with the cache + protection from CloudFlare, server cost reduced much since from my testing 1000 user only take about 300 MB of RAM. About server management, I have 0 knowledge on it, but thanks to @eva2000 his support and documentation.
cloudflare-cached.jpg

:rolleyes: I recommend DigitalOcean, Vultr over OVH, pair with Centmin Mod by @eva2000 :rolleyes: Use everything Centmin Mod supports: pagepspeed, brotily, pgo, dual ssl, and maybe and extra layer of CloudFlare protection :whistle: I am using those combination in my community and the results is pretty good, my users love the response time even the server isn't a local provider, with the cache + protection from CloudFlare, server cost reduced much since from my testing 1000 user only take about 300 MB of RAM. About server management, I have 0 knowledge on it, but thanks to @eva2000 his support and documentation.
Very nice glad to hear Centmin Mod LEMP stack and the documentation are serving you well :cool:

Seems that the Cloud RAM VPS is the best option of databases - So would be better for a forum?
No need to jump in deep end straight away, try a few hourly billed vps providers like linode, digitalocean, upcloud first with a test install/copy of your live forums so you can get a feel managing your own vps and also to get an idea of resource usage (at idle first).

FYI, if you're serving web server, php and mysql server all on same server - I'd at minimum start with 2 cpu core vpses :)

Thanks everyone. Just signed up tp Strato.de for £6 a month. Just waiting for it to be set up.

Will have a look at cnetminmod and mariaDB - Never really used a VPS so will have to have a bit of a study to install!

• 4 GB of RAM guarantees (instead of 2 GB) for more power
  • 2 CPU vCores (instead of 1) for compute-intensive tasks
  • Highly efficient 300 GB SSD / HDD instead (50 GB)
  • Ideal for developers and multiple websites
  • Perfect for resource hungry CMS

Just a quick questions. Is Centiminmod worth it and it easy to install?
You must be the one who answer this question to yourself. For me, it's beats, I used Centmin Mod for every website, WordPress, PHP application...
It's one line script and you're good to go.
Look at here: https://community.centminmod.com/threads/centmin-mod-09-beta-branch-testing.4128/
For 2 cpus, take a look at PHP_PGO, this may increase performance overtime.
I'm using PHP 7.3 now and it works perfectly.

Ease is relative to each person. But if you have questions you can ask on official Centmin Mod community forum - on your fav forum software https://community.centminmod.com/ :) And yes forum is powered by Centmin Mod LEMP stack :D
FYI, Centmin Mod powers ~10% of all of the largest Xenforo forums https://community.centminmod.com/th...p-powers-10-of-xenforos-largest-forums.16435/ as well as some Alexa Top 10000 sites :)

For 2 cpus, take a look at PHP_PGO, this may increase performance overtime.
I'm using PHP 7.3 now and it works perfectly.
Yes Centmin Mod LEMP stack is only known LEMP/LAMP or control panel of any kind to support PHP 7+ Profile Guided Optimizations to boost PHP 7 performance by another 5-40% depending on PHP code paths as well as have options for end user configuration for PGO script training.

Benchmarks for PHP 7.3 vs 7.2 vs 7.1 vs 7.0 for Centmin Mod LEMP stack with/without PGO training
  1. https://community.centminmod.com/th...1-vs-7-0-php-fpm-benchmarks.16090/#post-68855
  2. https://community.centminmod.com/th...1-vs-7-0-php-fpm-benchmarks.16090/#post-69010
Centmin Mod PHP vs Remi YUM Repo provided PHP

So am I right in thinking that Plesk will control most elements (bandwidth etc) and this would be a command line to access the database?

Just trying to get my head around how it plays with Plesk.

201893GTMetrix.webp

My forum is hosted on a $15/month, 2GB RAM, 2CPU VPS on Digital Ocean. I even have Elasticsearch on the same node for Enhanced Search. I highly recommend Digital Ocean as a provider.

I have found that the more time I invest, the easier it gets!

Centminmod is rapid, I mean really rapid. Its well supported and the forums are a mine of information.

If you are not a centos person it will take a short while to get your feet, but for me when I was on the initial learning curve I found it very much worth it.

I recommend Vultr over OVH. Why?

Uptime. I have 4 VPS hosted with them currently in different datacenters: Tokyo, Sydney, London, Los Angeles. I'm running uptime monitor to check connectivity to make sure my servers are running correctly. Not a minute of downtime in last year.

OVH is also known for not giving f* about anything. They host lots of spam bots, scrapers and other nasty stuff. I wouldn't host anything with them.

Also pricing is much better at Vultr. VPS that matches your requirements:

80 Gb SSD
2 CPUs
4 Gb RAM
3 TB bandwidth
$20/month

If you are using Plesk, you don't even need managed VPS. Plesk will do everything for you. All you have to do is install it.

Top Bottom