Implemented Move single posts directly to an existing thread

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I don't have many "I wish" moments with XF, but this is definitely one of them. We hit this issue quite often and it would be good to be able to move individual posts to another thread. (y)

One for 1.1.3 guys? Please?

Another 4 months and it would be officially 2 years since this important feature was requested. I dont think they are listening :whistle:

This is pretty unfortunate that this critical feature is unavailable. Even if you happen to first move the post (to be merged) to a new thread, you then have to search the other thread (where the former is to be merged), by browsing through forums pages :eek: Imagine if you have hundreds of forum pages. In my earlier forum software I simply had to check the post and then provide the ID of the thread where it is to be merged.

I agree with all the above- in vB, one could get the url of the OP, knock off all the text after the ampersand (&) and use it as the 'move to' url on the post you wanted to move there.

But I would add one other merge feature: being able to merge threads from a members threads list search. I am given to understand that XF removed this feature as well as copy posts/threads. All three are essential features, IMVHO!

Add BlueMartian to this want thread.

When I select Move Post it gives me the option to select a discussion board and the name of a new thread, but I want to move the post from already-existing thread A and append it to already-existing thread B. I could do this in VB by inputting the address of the destination thread. Am I missing something or does this functionality not exist yet in XF?
See. I "moved" your post to the suggestion thread.
AND
You also got an alert that I did it :)

Working on this right now.
This feature will be available as part of a new Moderator Essentials add-on.
Still trying to figure out what other features to include.
If someone uses the moderator queue I guess he would agree with me that its useful to see the forum title. A lot of things can there be included, too.

How is he bumping....he literally said' I like this' meaning he wants this feature...

bumping only has the purpose of bringing to the top...

he was showing support for an idea.

True...but I think this is a good idea and i dont think in two years that I saw this thread so it benefits me,

also, this person left xf for a while so maybe he doesn't remember that people in this community decided to use likes for supporting an idea...also...no one says anything when other things get bumped so I don't see the problem...

Either way his post benefited me.

True...but I think this is a good idea and i dont think in two years that I saw this thread so it benefits me,

also, this person left xf for a while so maybe he doesn't remember that people in this community decided to use likes for supporting an idea...also...no one says anything when other things get bumped so I don't see the problem...

Either way his post benefited me.

Thanks EQ,

Although in this case I did not add any substantial feedback to this (in my eyes important) suggestion from Stuart, most of the time others and myself do. I believe it's totally understandable that older threads are getting now (after the lawsuit has been finally over and done with) back their attention they deserve:

I think it's perfectly understandable (and logical) why some old threads are being resurrected. Xenforo in itself has been 'resurrected' so to speak and hopefully so is this community. Before the lawsuit (or more precisely: before communication/development 'stopped') this great community was putting up feature/product suggestions continuously. A lot of these suggestions are still valid today, since not much (public) development on the product has been done the last year. Correct me if I'm wrong (or the staff thinks/prefers otherwise, then please do tell us this and we know what is preferred), but it wouldn't make much sense to open yet again a completely new thread for every single of these often very valuable suggestions and interesting discussions that we already had about those things we would love to see in Xenforo. In the past similar suggestions-threads were continuesly merged by the Mods and I would think it would also save them time and effort if we just search first if an idea has already being posted and join that discussion instead of creating more work by duplicating things, just as Digital Doctor is pointing out.

I could choose to open up a new thread for every single ('old/burried') suggestion that I think is great/valuable, but as the instructions say:

Mike said:
Posting New Suggestions

The most important (and most challenging) thing to do when posting a new suggestion is search for an existing suggestion. Reducing duplicate suggestions helps us see the true interest in a particular suggestion. It's a lot harder to see how much interest there is in a particular feature if it's split across 10 threads instead or one focused one.

Top Bottom