Implemented  Mouse Over Smilies doesn't show the name of the Smilie

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Besides ADA compliance? For some sites with a lot of smilies, being able to hover over the image to see the alt tag is nice sometimes to find out just what the smiley is supposed to be.

Alt tags are already there, you're talking about the title tag :)

Nevermind, I thought he was expecting mouseover bubbles like the ones used for forum descriptions, don't know why...

Agree with kevin on this. As a smiley designer I like to know what smiley is what (even the ones I design). Personally, I'd like to see this applied to the default product though it's an easy implementation to make once the customer get's their hands on it ready for customisation.

Yeah, I just meant a way so I know how to reuse the smilie if I wanted to... I guess we're used to seeing the names/titles but the actual code may be more useful... I guess both would be ideal. Like "Eek / :eek:"

This could do with being moved to the tweaks/small suggestions section :)

Also a DIY solution - add after the alt tag on line 78 93 of/library/XenForo/BbCode/Formatter/Base.php:
Code:
 title="'.htmlspecialchars($smilie['title']).'"

One question: Why? :)
Old post, no doubt, but I'm not sure how many of us see "
notworthy.png
" and automatically think "Woah, that smilie means not worthy!"

Old post, no doubt, but I'm not sure how many of us see ":notworthy:" and automatically think "Woah, that smilie means not worthy!"

That raises the question if it's handy in the first place to include smilies in a product that are difficult to understand. Yes, with the inclusion of these new smilies in XenForo the meaning of some of them is unknown/not recognizable anymore... so the need of tooltips (that are luckily included in the smilies dropdown) becomes bigger.

inlove.png
: this is supposed to represent... ' love'. Well... I don't think many people would get that without the help of a tooltip. In my opinion... basic smilies in a product should not need a tooltip to explain to it's endusers what they mean. That's why the former/original XenForo smilies pack was not bad at all.

That raises the question if it's handy in the first place to include smilies in a product that are difficult to understand. Yes, with the inclusion of these new smilies in XenForo the meaning of some of them is unknown/not recognizable anymore... so the need of tooltips (that are luckily included in the smilies dropdown) becomes bigger.

:love: : this is supposed to represent... ' love'. Well... I don't think many people would get that without the help of a tooltip. In my opinion... basic smilies in a product should not need a tooltip to explain to it's endusers what they mean. That's why the former/original XenForo smilies pack was not bad at all.
You become more used to smilies as they're used and you see them in use. I saw the not worthy smilie once and now I'm completely aware of its meaning.
Basic smilies don't need explanation: :) :( :@ :o :D
whistling.png
tongue.png
redface.png
thumbsup.png
etc.

XenForo will ship with all of the smiley graphics, but only a subset of those will be actually activated as smilies in the default installation - ie: the ones that you already have.

Basic smilies don't need explanation: :) :( :mad: :eek: :D :whistle: :p :oops: (y) etc.

Yes, that's what I mean. In combination with Kier's explanation I believe the stock XF will be great when it comes to smilies. I do understand the issues people have with the 'girlie/soft factor', but nonetheless these new designs are high-quality to my eyes. And therefor do fit the high quality and soft look of the overall XenForo UI actually.

A smilie is a simple picture/symbol/sign for a emotion.
What for I need a title attribut or explanations ?????
Sorry, but this sugesstions is nonsense

Top Bottom