Implemented  Mouse Over Smilies doesn't show the name of the Smilie

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
A code is only needed when actually typing in the smiley, isn't it, when you think about it logically? So, for me it would only be necessary/be of real use/value inside the smilies dropdown. No need to repeat it on every single smiley in every single posting.
If you've opened the smiley popup, you could just click the smiley rather than waiting the 500ms for the tooltip to appear and then type it. That seems ridiculous. By that token, there is a compelling argument not to have the smiley replacement text shown in the smilies popup, whereas including it with smilies in posts gives the reader a hint as to how they could reproduce that smiley without having to click open the smiley popup.

If you've opened the smiley popup, you could just click the smiley rather than waiting the 500ms for the tooltip to appear and then type it. That seems ridiculous. By that token, there is a compelling argument not to have the smiley replacement text shown in the smilies popup, whereas including it with smilies in posts gives the reader a hint as to how they could reproduce that smiley without having to click open the smiley popup.

That's an interesting way of thinking, I have to admit ;). If one just looks at it from a practical day-to-day use, then isn't it logical that a user might not be that interested (if at all) in the smilies that are used by others in postings (above the one they are typing) that have a completely different context/meaning and therefor emotion attached to it? If I need to express anger (oh no... I already left vBulletin) uhh... love, then I need to know how to type that in right here and now and then the smilies from others (like for example :confused: or :censored: or any other one that does not show the one I need: :love:) in other postings with other context do not help me, do they? That was and is my point (of viewing/thinking).

So, a hint (as you've mentioned it) is better served there where the focus of the enduser is and that is actually inside the wysiwyg dropdown. Even if that means that, yes, one might as well click the smiley then in the first place. (But it's not only the point of being able to click, the main-point is being able to learn what code represents the smiley you need right there and now). To call it ridiculous might be a bit far off, but I understand why you say it when you follow your thought pattern. Following mine, it's actually a valid instead of a ridiculous argument IMHO. Really, if we want our users to learn how to type in a smiley they need at that particular moment , will they learn this from mouse-ing over smilies in postings of others that does not represent the smiley they need? No. So, waiting for 500ms for the tooltip to appear inside the wysiwyg is still quite a bit more easy/quick and valuable/insightful. This is obvious I would think.

But this is a non-issue (there is no issue, just sharing points of views)... but still interesting to found out how (differently) people approach UI/UX :).

Top Bottom