Resource icon

MetaMirror 1.6.1

No permission to download

Mick West

Mick West submitted a new resource:

MetaMirror - Locally rehosts any external files and updates links

The ability for users to externally link images is very useful, but can lead to problems down the road if the image that they link to is deleted from the server, or if it's moved, or if the server goes offline.

MetaMirror ensures this never happens by automatically finding external links, downloading the file to your local server, and altering the link to point to the local version.

This ensures the image lasts as long as your forum does. It can also speed things up, depending on your...

Read more about this resource...

Will this work for all current images or only new ones added after the mod is installed? Will this also work for remote images in a signature?

Will this work for all current images or only new ones added after the mod is installed? Will this also work for remote images in a signature?

It will work for all current images and new images. It might take a while to catch up on a very large site. You can adjust how much it does at once. It defaults to 10 posts with images every five minutes.

It does not currently work for images in signatures, but should not be a vast amount of work to do that. I did not bother as I'd disallowed images in sigs on my site :) I'll look into it.

Also, would be nice if instead of writing to an actual file in internal_data, that you created a log section under Tools for easier browsing.

I got it working for sigs fairly easily. I'll upload a revised version tomorrow.

It won't currently cache the images in edited post that already has cached images, which is more of an issue for sigs. I'll see if I can fix that over the weekend.

Firstly, THANK YOU! This is a great addon.

Secondly, is there any way this can corrupt/destroy my forums?

Thanks.

I got it working for sigs fairly easily. I'll upload a revised version tomorrow.

It won't currently cache the images in edited post that already has cached images, which is more of an issue for sigs. I'll see if I can fix that over the weekend.

Can you make it so you can turn off the sig feature please?

Firstly, THANK YOU! This is a great addon.

Secondly, is there any way this can corrupt/destroy my forums?

Thanks.

Quite possibly. It does modify the actual links in the post data. If there's a bug there could be problems.

I've been running it on my smallish forum (60,000 posts, about 1000 images got rehosted). No real problems (one file did not load due to a bug, fixed it). However I'm not making any guarantees. Servers vary. I recommend setting the per-run to a low number and turning off the cron, and running it manually a couple of times to make sure everything works.

Quite possibly. It does modify the actual links in the post data. If there's a bug there could be problems.

I've been running it on my smallish forum (60,000 posts, about 1000 images got rehosted). No real problems (one file did not load due to a bug, fixed it). However I'm not making any guarantees. Servers vary. I recommend setting the per-run to a low number and turning off the cron, and running it manually a couple of times to make sure everything works.

Realistically though, I think the worst it could do is break some image links. No warranties though.

Oh this could be VERY useful! We've just has a 48 page thread go to pot because the user went past his bandwidth allocation with Photobucket.

Top Bottom