Resource icon

MetaMirror 1.6.1

No permission to download

Steve F

I am in the process of helping a site upgrade from 1.5.20 to 2.1 that is using this add-on, if the option is checked to store as attachments, Is it safe to assume there won't be any adverse effects by removing this add-on?

StarArmy

I am in the process of helping a site upgrade from 1.5.20 to 2.1 that is using this add-on, if the option is checked to store as attachments, Is it safe to assume there won't be any adverse effects by removing this add-on?
Yeah. I had to leave this add-on behind when I moved to XF2 and I miss it but we've been doing fine.

Mick West

I've finally got around to upgrading to XF2, and so now I'm going to have to eventually rewrite this plugin.

However, I don't want to reinvent the wheel - has anyone had luck using any other alternatives?

Mick West

There are no alternatives.
What about AndyB's Convert Image [Paid]? Looks like it has been regularly updated in response to complaints about not following standards.

Alpha1

Have you inspected the code quality?
Many people will not use AndyB's addons due to quality issues. While I respect that Andy provides a mass of addons (almost free) to people, I am not comfortable with using his addons for my big board. This decision is based upon my personal experience as well as the warnings from various xenforo addon developers whom I hold in high regard.

After all; the functionality causes a lot of data/database changes and potential problems are near impossible to track. As I have tens of thousands of links.

Nuno

However, I don't want to reinvent the wheel - has anyone had luck using any other alternatives?
Hi Mick
Glad to ear that.

For the moment I just set proxy to cache all images.

I've tested Andy Converter for XF1.5 but I had problems with other add-ons compatibility because if the way it convert images, so I haven't used for XF2.

I would say there are no alternative.

Mick West

Also, metamirror converts all file types. Not just images. This is an essential function.
No, it's just images. I was going to do linked files, but never got around to it.

For the moment I just set proxy to cache all images.
That's probably quite a reasonable way to go. As I remember years ago I tested it, and MetaMirror was a bit faster than proxied images, but I don't think that's a big issue now - I'd probaby go for just rehosting as attachments if I rewrite it.

I have a few other plugins to convert first.

Alpha1

Because its a world of difference. If an upgrade changes the setting for the cache duration then everything gets deleted. The point of core image proxy is to provide a temporary cache of images.
MetaMirror moves images, documents and other files into the attachment system and saves these forever. It solves a major SEO issue with broken links that any medium to large board older than 5 years has as a handicap.

Kintaro

Because its a world of difference. If an upgrade changes the setting for the cache duration then everything gets deleted. The point of core image proxy is to provide a temporary cache of images.
MetaMirror moves images, documents and other files into the attachment system and saves these forever. It solves a major SEO issue with broken links that any medium to large board older than 5 years has as a handicap.
So I really need to remember to use it before upgrading!

Kintaro

Meanwhile I found this:

...but I think is always safer to self-host images.

Alpha1

Meanwhile I found this:
Could be true, but I already lost all my account change logs, IP data, and a few other things along the road. Which is why I still have my old vbulletin install from 2017 just to look up old data. I still use it every few days.

I will upgrade to XF2 when there is a new metamirror for xf2. Its one of the few things left on my list. It will happen sooner or later.