Add-on Metamirror for XF2 (rehosting of linked files, documents as attachments)

Alpha1

The popular addon metamirror is unfortunately not set to be upgraded to XF2 anytime soon:

What it does is:
  1. Fetch linked files (images, documents, etc) and add those as attachments to posts.
  2. Replace dead links with text.
  3. Throttling in order not to overload the server with thousands of processes.
It would be very nice to see a quality coded addon with similar functionality in the XF resources section for XF2.

Yes, I used to use this in 1.5 and would like to see it for 2.x

Working like to suggest:

4. White list some domains
5. Attachments will belongs to the post owner.

I made MetaMirror, but I'm not going to upgrade my site (Metabunk) to XF2 any time soon (in large part because of all the customizations I did, like this). If someone wants to create an XF2 version, then feel free to re-use any of my code from the XF1.5 version of MetaMirror.

I dont use Andy's addons due to code quality concerns.
Agreed, I would not use any of his addons that touch the DB in any way, his simple addons are ok though.

Here is a very recent example,

Just to add a new suggestion:

6. If the image is stored in the proxy system, use this image and do not fetch from the source. This way, if the source is removed we still have the original image.

Tagging @NixFifty as well as there may be some overlap between items in this thread and some recent work he's been doing for us (essentially an XF2 'clean room' version of "Convert Image" but using XF's standards).

I dont know anything about the quality of AndyB's add-ons. He seems not so interested in changing things or adding improvements how people may would wish, but his tools do what they should do. His convert-add-ons run without any problems since years for the forum and the rm. I have added some small changes like excluding domains or adding a rm icon from attach and i am happy with that. The problem the world has now with XF2 and Andy's Convert is, that he refuses to add GD-support,because he said to me that the result of GD would be not as good as with imagemagick and every hoster should have PECL, but funny, funny there are big hosters that have no PECL on their servers. And funny, funny again, when i told them that they have to change the world, because Andy doenst want, they asked my who is Andy? (joke)

For me this means to move the site to another server, change the managed server to a root server, or find a way to code the addon for myself.
I dont know nothing about PECL and GD, but the last times i have coded for images i need maybe five lines to say something like:
convert x to y and save the result somewhere.

If this is really so easy, i am confused that Andy will not change his addon for this. With XF2 he takes a small money for his addons and should be interested in having the best addons he can have, especially when this is only a small change. But maybe i am wrong and the GD-stuff is a monster of coding? I dont know, but i dont believe it.

Anyway the world misses now a solution to fetch hotlinked pictures in XF2. Maybe someone without 900$ per hours wants to make the world better and code this for us? I am the first who will spend some money for it, and maybe there is a second, third or fourth user to do the same?

I have watched the code now. There is one larger file where the most code should be the same for XF2, only the SQL needs to be changed, i guess.
All other files are smaller ones where a programer should be finished in some minutes.
So i guess this is really no big story. I have asked a programer for a needed budget. If someone wants to have it also, we can share the costs, i hope (and haved asked the programer for this also).

Top Bottom