Resource icon

MetaMirror 1.6.1

No permission to download
Caution:

I installed this and I had a few people ask me to add this to their sites, by request. In all the installs (100% out of 8 installs) there was a slow, but steady memory usage increase. Which mimicked a memory leak of some sort... ie... It kept growing.

This was tested on 7 shared hosting accounts and 1 VPS. The memory limit was recorded in cPanel.

Uninstalling this add-on solved the issue.

This is not to exactly say that it is this add-on. It could be some sort of conflict that has not presented its self clearly. But of the 8 installs, 2 of them were stock install (meaning no other add-ons).

Someone with more time will have to review my findings.

Caution:

I installed this and I had a few people ask me to add this to their sites, by request. In all the installs (100% out of 8 installs) there was a slow, but steady memory usage increase. Which mimicked a memory leak of some sort... ie... It kept growing.

This was tested on 7 shared hosting accounts and 1 VPS. The memory limit was recorded in cPanel.

This is not to exactly say that it is this add-on. It could be some sort of conflict that has not presented its self clearly. But of the 8 installs, 2 of them were stock install (meaning no other add-ons).

When you say, "uninstalling this add-on solved the issue", did you simply uninstall the addon and the memory started to decrease?

Interesting - do you know exactly what the OS is and how much memory is normally there?
On my site it reached 1 GB before I got concerned. And other sites it reached higher, but not all of them.... Some of those shared accounts (not mine) were disabled until they cold resolve the issue.

Seems odd, as there should be no memory used except during the runs. When it exits, then the memory should be released, at least as I understand PHP programs being called from apache.

Possibly it's that as it get more and more into the database, then the queries use up more and more memory.

Are you using 1.4.3? Older version could potentially use a lot more memory in the cron job as they got further along.

What web server and database?

Seems odd, as there should be no memory used except during the runs. When it exits, then the memory should be released, at least as I understand PHP programs being called from apache.

Possibly it's that as it get more and more into the database, then the queries use up more and more memory.

Are you using 1.4.3? Older version could potentially use a lot more memory in the cron job as they got further along.

I was using the current version.

My set up is CloudLinux, Lite Speed, cPanel, php 5.4.19, and 5.5.32-cll is my MySQL.

Works perfect for me, I know several of our clients sites use it too. Have been no resource issues what so ever. My guess is, it's another add-on causing it and he is blaming yours or it was installed incorrectly.

Caution:

Screen Shot 2013-09-04 at 8.43.08 PM.webp
^^^Is this why?

I have that setting enabled on all forums. I don't do signatures however and I don't add a message to the post.

I also don't limit any forums on these sites. If you read my earlier posts that is a rather nasty query to have running. No memory issues though, just MySQL timing out.
I'm fairly sure most host count the memory you use in MySQL toward your account as well.

2 of them were stock installs... ie... Meaning no other add-ons, this was the only thing installed. So maybe this is it?

That is the setting I used and most everyone else used. Figured once it had finished scanning the whole site and no one added anything new it would go down. It didn't. And this was used also on site much smaller than my own
Oh ok. I haven't used this addon yet. Still trying to figure out the basics like what would be an appropriate file size limit.

Testing for memory issues at shared hosting(!) or VPS is useless, since both of them virtualize the memory system. I would rather change my hosting provider before I blame an (PHP!) add-on for memory leaks!

If you really want to test for memory leaks, you need your own server.

Testing for memory issues at shared hosting(!) or VPS is useless, since both of them virtualize the memory system. I would rather change my hosting provider before I blame an (PHP!) add-on for memory leaks!

If you really want to test for memory leaks, you need your own server.
Not everyone uses their own server to host their site. As is the case with some of the people I help manage.

I agree that sometimes you can not really tell when it comes to shared hosting. But when it affects more than one provider and is not isolated to a single host or setup, and these host are well known providers (and this is only add-on installed in a stock setup).... It does bring things into question.

If even a VPS (Virtual private server) is not good enough by your standards... Neither would the add-on for most people.

But I digress and return back to my original statement, that this is only a cation in which some people may wish to be aware of and keep in mind.

If even a VPS (Virtual private server) is not good enough by your standards... Neither would the add-on for most people.

It does not matter what is "good enough for me". It is just for technical reasons that
  1. PHP scripts that do not run endlessly (like this add-on) simply cannot affect memory anyhow (except for a very limited time) or produce "memory leaks". They can produce "peaks" only.
  2. All virtual servers do not have any "own" real memory at all. It is just a virtualized fake value calculated by a lot of factors by the virtualization software and shown to you in a simplified interface. Most likely your "shared hosting" is also at a virtual server or a managed VPS, so it suffers the same problem.
  3. Most virtual servers use the same virtualization software, so it is not uncommon to see an error with different hosts.
Please see your complain as technically practically impossible and try to find other reasons for your observation. Including talking with your host about possible reasons. The monitoring features of almost all virtualization software is very good for the "real server" admin, but not available to the customer who uses the VPS. I am sure a capable support technician can find the reason for your memory raise when using this add-on quickly.

Top Bottom