XF 1.5 Merging Two Forums

Pixel Squad Ltd

Hello,

Yesterday I upgraded my account with SiteGround, my hosting provider, and they moved all the data on to a different server. Whilst the website was being propagated users was still posting on the forums, which means this data is now missing on the new server.

I have asked SiteGround if it is possible if they can merge the two databases, but apparently this it not possible. They stated "What we will need is the exact path the to file/folder or the database if the pages of the application are stored there.", however, they have granted me access to the old server, and all the old data.

My question is... is there a way I can merge the two forums together, without losing/writing over the new threads and content on the new server? If not, can anyone suggest a way to move over the missing data?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Carl

Was it not considered that it might have been wise to close the forum on the old server prior to the move?
In hind sight yes, however, this is not something I have done before, and I didn't know upgrading my account meant moving to a whole new sever.

I have only been using Xenforo for a year, and I have been with the same provider, so it's not something I considered.

What would happen if I exported the old data, and import it on the new server?

Would I experience any data loss?
Honestly, I went thru this on my first server move, its not worth it in my opinion, Lesson learned, close my forums from now on when doing a move to another server, I just asked my members to try and repost or post the content the best they could and move on. I'm sure it wasn't a significant amount of data for a day or a few hours.

Honestly, I went thru this on my first server move, its not worth it in my opinion, Lesson learned, close my forums from now on when doing a move to another server, I just asked my members to try and repost or post the content the best they could and move on. I'm sure it wasn't a significant amount of data for a day or a few hours.

Yeah, I think I may have to chalk this one up to experience. I will definitely make sure I close the boards in future :)

Top Bottom