XF 1.1 Member is moderated - why? How undo?

Morgain

I have a member who appears on moderation - this is something I have never used so no idea why.
On her permissions she shows as grey on moderation rules.
What do I do to lift the moderation please?

Check the permissions for the user and all groups they are a member of.

Ensure Follow message moderation rules is Allow in at least one and Never in none.

So Follow message moderation rules actually means NOT moderated ... not intuitive!

I think it means "follow message moderation rules" which in the case of most forums/permissions is NOT to be moderated (so the rule IS being followed by not moderating). Whereas set it to "NO" or "NEVER" and they can never follow moderation rules either way, which thus defaults to always being moderated. It caught me out too :)

Ingenious is correct. It mostly has to be written that way as a "yes" answer is always "more permissions"/better than a no answer, so we can't do "always moderate" or anything like that.

If I set a user to "follow message moderation rules" to "never" does this effective put everything they post into moderation? Thats what I am trying to achieve, would that be the correct way? I dont want to handle this with usergroups since it's just the one user I need to apply this to.

If I set a user to "follow message moderation rules" to "never" does this effective put everything they post into moderation? Thats what I am trying to achieve, would that be the correct way? I dont want to handle this with usergroups since it's just the one user I need to apply this to.
It's worth considering setting up a user group for this. I have a "Naughty Step" user group that I can put misbehaving members in. Their posts are moderated (using Never to override the Allow in the Registered group). I have also set various other permissions to Never, such as editing posts, changing avatar, changing signature etc. This prevents them from having a huff when they find they are in moderation and then being destructive. The beauty of having a user group for this is that I can easily add a misbehaving member with one click and then have all of these permissions apply to them too. You can't do this so easily by editing an individual user.

It's worth considering setting up a user group for this. I have a "Naughty Step" user group that I can put misbehaving members in. Their posts are moderated (using Never to override the Allow in the Registered group). I have also set various other permissions to Never, such as editing posts, changing avatar, changing signature etc. This prevents them from having a huff when they find they are in moderation and then being destructive. The beauty of having a user group for this is that I can easily add a misbehaving member with one click and then have all of these permissions apply to them too. You can't do this so easily by editing an individual user.
If I find myself having to do this again then I'll make a group for it :P

Just found this thread.

I, too, have a group for this, "Manual Approval Required For All Posts" and I just add people to that as needed. Same functionality also, by setting the group's Follow Message Moderation Rules to Never.

I would, however, like to be able to configure the actual message moderation rules - is that an option, or available via an add-on?

Specifically, I would like to try having any _post_ containing a URL be placed into the moderation queue.

Thanks in advance.

-S-

The general approach to that is to use "spam phrases" to pick up something like /http/i . Note that this may be more wide ranging than you're wanting, as it will apply to conversations as well (which don't support moderation, so will be blocked). This is fitting with it's design as an anti-spam tool.

Anything else is likely to require custom development/an add-on.

@Mike,

I confess I can't make this work. I have a test message - I change something in the ACP, save my work, go to the tab with the test message and refresh the browser window. Adding something as a spam phrase doesn't seem to do anything at all. I also tried with a new post of mine - again, no result. This procedure worked fine with changing words in censoring (to the extent that it does and doesn't do everything I need, of course).

I didn't try it with "http:" but rather with the domain name I am trying to block. I tried

domainname
domainname.com

and all combinations with leading and trailing "/" and "*" - what am I missing here?

I did change the number of posts to check to 10000 (10k) so that my posts would still be checked.

I also you and the example in the ACP using "/i" at the end - what does this mean, and what does "regular expression" mean in this context?

Thank you again in advance for your assistance.

-S-

Just found this thread.

I, too, have a group for this, "Manual Approval Required For All Posts" and I just add people to that as needed. Same functionality also, by setting the group's Follow Message Moderation Rules to Never.

I would, however, like to be able to configure the actual message moderation rules - is that an option, or available via an add-on?

Specifically, I would like to try having any _post_ containing a URL be placed into the moderation queue.

Thanks in advance.

-S-
I bet one of the spam addons does what you want !

I also you and the example in the ACP using "/i" at the end - what does this mean, and what does "regular expression" mean in this context?
My approach was making it a regular expression so it matches partial words. By default, it will only match full words. If you're trying to block a particular domain name, use:
Code:
/domainname/i

I did change the number of posts to check to 10000 (10k) so that my posts would still be checked.
It may be worth testing using a fresh account to take variables out of the equation. For example, there's a permission to bypass spam checking -- it's possible your admin has that set.

I think, "Follow message moderation rules" should be rephrased in a way that makes it more obvious to understand. I am not saying it is wrong, but a bit counter-intuitive. :)

I just wish those rules could be customized.

I will experiment with a new account - I have a test account I use for these purposes, has no or very few messages posted from it.

-S-

Top Bottom