1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.1 Member is moderated - why? How undo?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Morgain, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Morgain

Morgain Well-Known Member

I have a member who appears on moderation - this is something I have never used so no idea why.
    On her permissions she shows as grey on moderation rules.
    What do I do to lift the moderation please?
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Check the permissions for the user and all groups they are a member of.

Ensure Follow message moderation rules is Allow in at least one and Never in none.
  3. Morgain

Morgain Well-Known Member

Thank you as always.

So Follow message moderation rules actually means NOT moderated ... not intuitive!
  4. Ingenious

Ingenious Well-Known Member

I think it means "follow message moderation rules" which in the case of most forums/permissions is NOT to be moderated (so the rule IS being followed by not moderating). Whereas set it to "NO" or "NEVER" and they can never follow moderation rules either way, which thus defaults to always being moderated. It caught me out too :)
  5. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Ingenious is correct. It mostly has to be written that way as a "yes" answer is always "more permissions"/better than a no answer, so we can't do "always moderate" or anything like that.
  6. VtoX

VtoX Member

I agree. Very confusing.
    ScottSwezey and Erel like this.
  7. Rob

Rob Well-Known Member

If I set a user to "follow message moderation rules" to "never" does this effective put everything they post into moderation? Thats what I am trying to achieve, would that be the correct way? I dont want to handle this with usergroups since it's just the one user I need to apply this to.
  8. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Rob likes this.
  9. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

It's worth considering setting up a user group for this. I have a "Naughty Step" user group that I can put misbehaving members in. Their posts are moderated (using Never to override the Allow in the Registered group). I have also set various other permissions to Never, such as editing posts, changing avatar, changing signature etc. This prevents them from having a huff when they find they are in moderation and then being destructive. The beauty of having a user group for this is that I can easily add a misbehaving member with one click and then have all of these permissions apply to them too. You can't do this so easily by editing an individual user.
    Rob likes this.
  10. Rob

Rob Well-Known Member

If I find myself having to do this again then I'll make a group for it :p