MediaWiki bridge - Presale question

• Thread starter Thread starter tambling
  • Start date Start date
Thanks Brogan. I'm pretty sure we can get it to work regardless, but it would be GREAT to confirm the extension already bridges FROM MediaWiki to XenForo.

Since XenForo sales department can't support or comment on this add-on, I guess we will just have to purchase and TRY it.

Thanks for your interest in the bridge :)

The bridge works the other way around, using XF as the main user database, and then allowing the Wiki to use those credentials. I have not tested it the other way around, but I am assuming that it will not work.

The task I paid xfrocks for was actually exactly that. Providing the XF authentication to the wiki, as that was what we needed specifically. There are a few things I want to have a look at adding myself later, but for the time being, I cannot give any estimates on it, as my time is pretty much tied up with other projects at the moment.

We have a website based on MediaWiki ...
Xenforo + Mediawiki + MediaWiki bridge by SchmitzIT is a very powerful combination !
If your users are great with Mediawiki, you are set.
If your users are less capable ... consider researching vaultwiki.org as they are planning a Xenforo version in the future. It is very much like Mediawiki but with deeper forum integration (ie. use the Xenforo editor).

Can you please connect me with xfrocks? Or direct me to where I can contact him? We will need to pay someone to develop the extension for MediaWiki ==>> XenFro bridge. My MW developer can probably do it, but it's nice not to reinvent the wheel.

Yea, I'm just learning about the whole Forum universe and subculture. XenForo is ridiculously cool.
It's alot more fun and social than other forums. Not to mention faster and cleaner looking.
Of course, a core developer of Xenforo was the brains behind the exceptional vBulletin 3.x series (one of the most successful software releases ever, IMO).
When he left, vBulletin 4 was the result.
/ouch.

Psst: not to mention xenforo already has Mediawiki and XenCarta (Lite Wiki) and will eventually have the greatest wiki forum combination of all time.

Please read the Native wiki thread.

If a killer wiki / forum integration excites you ... (think Mediawiki ... but easy to edit as a forum post) ... xenforo is the best choice for you.

XenCarta -
XenCarta Demo -

I mostly use MediaWiki as a one way authoring and publishing platform for my online Music Technology classes. Students don't have editing rights. MW is great for organizing and delivering vast amounts of content. And I LOVE MediaWiki text for creating content so FAST.

We bridged MW to phpBB a couple years ago, but there was constant login issues with students. So we built a custom native forum in MediaWiki. Very simple feature set, it was not really designed to scale up. If we can get perfectly functional and smooth single login bridged from MW to XenForo, that with be nirvana. Then we will just need to develop a cool way to bridge the Profile info.

I mostly use MediaWiki as a one way authoring and publishing platform for my online Music Technology classes. Students don't have editing rights. MW is great for organizing and delivering vast amounts of content. And I LOVE MediaWiki text for creating content so FAST.
Excellent use for Mediawiki. Bad use would have been to try to teach the kids Mediawiki syntax (= frustration !).

We bridged MW to phpBB a couple years ago, but there was constant login issues with students.
yea. I never found a good MW-phpBB bridge.

So we built a custom native forum in MediaWiki. Very simple feature set, it was not really designed to scale up.
Cool ! Got any screengrabs :)

If we can get perfectly functional and smooth single login bridged from MW to XenForo, that with be nirvana.
The current bridge seems pretty robust. I'd love to hear how it works for you.

Then we will just need to develop a cool way to bridge the Profile info.
Yea. For me, if I used Mediawiki ... I'd redirect all the Profile info changes to Xenforo and then let Mediawiki get user information from Xenforo.

One neat feature you might enjoy in XenCarta is that you can embed a wiki entry into the forum !
with wiki tags !
Code:
[wiki]Sweet Home Alabama Lyrics[/wiki]

Then you could make a forum post with the lyrics embedded in the post.

Hey kids, "What do you think they mean when they say ... "Lord I am coming home to you".
Discuss !

Make a post in the Native wiki thread ... that's where I collect the names of the wiki keeners :) Thanks !

Top Bottom