Mark Posts as Best Answer [Deleted]

Question. Is it/Would it be possible to have a certain prefix - say 'Question' - and then only activate the best answer functionality on threads with that prefix (in forums where Best Answer is enabled). In this way members can actively request the Best Answer functionality where appropriate. And then, of course, when a Best Answer has been selected, the prefix would change to 'Answered'.
Sounds good, will add it in the next version.

Another question. @Lior. have you considered allowing both voting and thread starter to pick the best answer? Thread starter overrules the voting. Then the moderators could also pick the best answer and overrule the voting in the rare circumstances that the members voting actually get it wrong and we want to correct it.
Actually, I don't really see the point in making it possible for the thread starter to overrule the voting. I think it kind of beats the purpose of the voting method, since I would imagine that most times the thread starter would choose a best answer.
In regards to allowing moderators to override the chosen best answer as well as to disable further voting, yeah, that's something I've had in mind and plan to add in the future.

In regards to allowing moderators to override the chosen best answer as well as to disable further voting, yeah, that's something I've had in mind and plan to add in the future.
You can effectively do that with the latest version you put out this week, just set the voting power of the moderator usergroup to 50 or whatever number your community couldn't realistically ever out vote.

You can effectively do that with the latest version you put out this week, just set the voting power of the moderator usergroup to 50 or whatever number your community couldn't realistically ever out vote.
It would prevent the moderators from voting normally though.

It would prevent the moderators from voting normally though.
That's right, I'm not worried about them abusing it, my point was that they might want to give a regular vote to a post, and not override the existing vote count, which can't be done right now if you set their voting power to a huge number.

Bug?
Even if post that has been mark as best answer already deleted, Answered thread prefix still remain.

Will be fixed in the next version.

Great developer, great community (y)
Just arrived here today, but I read from the beginning of this thread, your discussions are great, Guys :)

I have some requests similar to Moshe1010 though:

making the "copied" post that is created after #1 post number and the actual post that was chosen as best answer to look less confusing/awkward.
a) Agree with this, it seems odd for the best answer under OP (NOT the one before moved/copied) being in the same group with other posts.
Something should be done for separating OP + Best Answered (below OP) FROM the other replies following them. Maybe a simple bar (which colour can be modified) will work fine for separating those two aside from other replies.

Or add the option to alert automatically to users after x days since opening their thread to choose the best answer, etc`
a) Agree, but count the days after the first reply from other user been posted.
b) Alerts for the Thread Starter should have some lines sound something like "if you don't decide, the Forum Moderator/Admin will decide"
c) Please give the forum moderators and/or Admin the similar alerts also. (but with some relevant lines for their task to override the vote)

3. Have you implemented the overriding permission for Forum Moderators and/or Admin to label the best answer ? (overriding all votes from the community/Thread Starter)

4. Just reassuring, I think I saw it in the front pages, can I activate it only in threads with a particular thread-prefix? So the other thread-prefix won't show this addon's "vote" button ? (i.e. "Question")

5. Again, just reassuring, when we choice "the community vote", thread starter does still have the same right to vote (which power depends on his usergroup), doesn't him ?

Last edited:
Hi,

I'd like to get some opinions from all of you about the way the best answer is displayed at the top of the thread.

Right now, as you know, the entire comment is added right after the first post, and it looks like a regular post with all the info about the user who posted it.

It was suggested to me by @trigatch4 to change this. He sent me a mockup of his idea and I liked it, so I thought I'd implement it in the next version.

Right now it looks like this:

bestanswer.webp

Clicking on "Click for the full answer" takes you to the original post.

The question is whether there is demand for keeping the old style and make it possible to choose between the 2, or just go with the new style.

Also, if you have any other ideas regarding this, now is the time to speak :)

3. Have you implemented the overriding permission for Forum Moderators and/or Admin to label the best answer ? (overriding all votes from the community/Thread Starter)
This currently only applies to the thread starter option. Admins still can't override the best answer when the voting method is used. There's a workaround though - you can set the voting power of a usergroup to be ridiculously high, which would virtually allow that usergroup to override any best answer.

4. Just reassuring, I think I saw it in the front pages, can I activate it only in threads with a particular thread-prefix? So the other thread-prefix won't show this addon's "vote" button ? (i.e. "Question")
Currently not, will be made available in the next version though, which is to come soon.

5. Again, just reassuring, when we choice "the community vote", thread starter does still have the same right to vote (which power depends on his usergroup), doesn't him ?
That's correct.

Hi,
Right now it looks like this:

View attachment 86323

Like it! Better than adding a dividing bar which I said. (y)

Here are my personal suggestions though:

Clicking "click for the full answer" should just expand the best answer 'quote' (or you name it). My opinion is based on the efficiency aspect for being able to see the question and the answer side by side, avoiding jumping/scrolling between Q<->A that may cause potential confusion.

Inside the best anser 'quote' (or you name it), please provide a link/font awesome button with tooltip saying something like "go to the original post". This link will scroll you down to the original best answer message layout that shows the message_user_info and other controls.

This currently only applies to the thread starter option. Admins still can't override the best answer when the voting method is used. There's a workaround though - you can set the voting power of a usergroup to be ridiculously high, which would virtually allow that usergroup to override any best answer.

Your opinion below does make sense for me
v
v
v
That's right, I'm not worried about them abusing it, my point was that they might want to give a regular vote to a post, and not override the existing vote count, which can't be done right now if you set their voting power to a huge number.

Hope you'll implement the overriding in the community vote for the next version, and please add the overriding option for both the admins and forum moderators :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the shoutout @Lior.

I think the "Click for full answer" could go either way. It's a better experience for the visitor if they're able to expand the full answer right there, but it also doesn't provide as much credit to the person who posted the answer. I'm not sure which I prefer...

Personally, I think expanding to the full answer right there will make the content more shareable as it presents itself with a more official "Q&A" style. It might make sense to - once expanded - provide a small responsive style horizontal avatar and user name link floated to the bottom right of the best answer box, crediting that member with providing the answer. Ultimately there will be different opinions so making click to expand or click to jump to best post might be best served as an admin option.

But so far that looks GREAT and I think it helps with the logical readability of the thread. Nice work... eager to see this rolled out!

Right now I'd probably choose to have a fairly prominent bar under the first post which reads something like this (ignore the lack of any 'best answer' ribbon etc.):

1.webp

If the original poster has selected the Best Answer then the text would need to be slightly different, and, of course there would be only one link.

The main link in each Best Answer line opens the post in target='_self' (of course). The link under the poster's name opens the profile modal pop-up so we can find out about the poster.
This solution does not have the potential confusion of displaying posts #1, #7, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8 etc.
And it would send people to the best answer where they can read it in context of the surrounding posts.
It might also have some SEO benefit if the text is appropriately worded. Need more input here.
And if there is more than one best answer voted, it shows some diversity in the opinions - which is important if the question is going to get a subjective answer - like what is best, Panasonic or Sony?
Also if the best answer is on a separate page then we get more advertising impressions. (Losing advertising impressions is one potential disadvantage of this addon).
So I would display a link to the best answer(s).

I've just realised that my proposal above fundamentally changes the Best Answer addon because I've assumed that more than one reply can be the official best answer, which isn't the case.
Maybe rewording the text to 'Best Answer' and 'Alternative answers' in my mockup above might work.

Attachments

• 1.webp
    1.webp
    96.4 KB · Views: 8
On the forum listing page thats marks each thread as answered. How can I adapt that to remove the link and change "Answered" to an "A"?

And within the thread, is it possible to move the best answer to the top, below the question and not have 2 versions of the answer on the thread. You could have a link that says "see best answer in its original position"

Thanks
William

@Lior.
Could you please add maximum times a member of particular usergroup to vote in a day ? (permission-based)

I think this is crucial for preventing "spam-voting" for this system.

Can't imagine if someone pursuing "best answer" trophy performs sock-doll-show with ridiculuous QA - asked and answered by himself (with different ids) :D

Reactions: rdn

Your mock-up does have a nice yet brief details about the voter's name and vote's count, just like what I'm seeking for , like yours too, Sir (y)

@Lior. @Stuart Wright
As an additional, there are some things in my mind though :

1. I think it's better to display the vote power's count instead of the vote's count. Since it'd not seem making sense for a less voted yet more "powerful" answers win the more voted yet less "powerful" answers.

2. Considering user experience, while maintaining the link to the original post, I'd prefer the best answer (NOT the alternative answers) could ALSO show a quote showing the answer's content (WITHOUT the message_user_info).

Last edited:
Your mock-up does have a nice yet brief details about the voter's name and vote's count, just like what I'm seeking for , like yours too, Sir (y)

@Lior. @Stuart Wright
As an additional, there are some things in my mind though :

1. I think it's better to display the vote power's count instead of the vote's count. Since it'd not seem making sense for a less voted yet more "powerful" answers win the more voted yet less "powerful" answers.

2. Considering user experience, while maintaining the link to the original post, I'd prefer the best answer (NOT the alternative answers) could ALSO show a quote showing the answer's content (WITHOUT the message_user_info).
1. Needs to be taken into account and I'm going to write a proper specification proposal for Lior.
2. Is effectively what the addon does already.

The problem here is how people prefer the best answer to be displayed. I propose an admin option to choose between how it is now "best answer displayed under first post" or my proposal "link to best answer under first post". Plus with the link option, an additional option to display alternative answers.
I'll write that detailed proposed specification today.

1. Needs to be taken into account and I'm going to write a proper specification proposal for Lior.

2. Is effectively what the addon does already.

The problem here is how people prefer the best answer to be displayed. I propose an admin option to choose between how it is now "best answer displayed under first post" or my proposal "link to best answer under first post". Plus with the link option, an additional option to display alternative answers.
I'll write that detailed proposed specification today.

Sorry, but I think you got me wrong, Sir. CMIIW

Hope you can get my point below
BTW, I did combine your mock-up with trigatch4's, please accept my excuse for editing yours a bit :p
v
v
v

mock-up.webp

All the links should work exactly the same as you proposed, while clicking "click for the full answer" should just expand the Best Answer "Quote"

Current addon does not have the simplicity and highlight of the Best Answer this model has.

And, I think I don't see any need for providing admin option for reverting to currrent implemented "Best Answer below first post",

nevertheless, I do prefer having the option for choosing between showing or hiding the best answer "quote", just my 1 cent though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom