Mark Posts as Best Answer [Deleted]

Hello,

I have a bug to report and a suggestion to make.
I configured the addon to choose the best answer per community votes and above 3 votes. However, I noticed when a user votes on an answer and refresh the page, the sentence doesn't show, as it should, "Unmark as Best Answer" but again "Best answer".

Beside this, could it be possible to add a prefixe to the discussion, for example: "Answered"?

Chaps it's the very nature of forums and I'm surprised you don't appreciate this. Whether we're talking about a thread in the on topic forums where people are reviewing a product where Best Answer is unnecessary, inappropriate clutter or a question in general chat where someone is asking for advice on the best shampoo where Best Answer is something the OP specifically wants and is wholly appropriate.
I have never heard of the phrase Death Topics, but our off topic forums also generate traffic and are valued by the members.
Sorry but the ability for the OP and the moderators to toggle Best Answer on a thread by thread basis is a show stopper for us.
Honestly, if @Lior. implemented your suggestion, it would be no skin off my back. I just don't think it's very feasible. It makes more sense to setup specific forums for Q and A style topics and enable this addon for those, and then have other forums setup for regular discussion and disable this addon for those forums. I can't imagine how annoying it would be to be a moderator on your very active site and have to dig through all those posts and determine whether or not 'Best Answer' should be enabled for it. Not to mention if someone received their answer before a staff member notices the thread and has already moved on. So now the staff member has to decide which post to mark as best answer. Seems like you're just adding way more work than is worth it for your staff. But as I said, if it gets implemented, it won't harm me any so...whatever.

Hello,

I have a bug to report and a suggestion to make.
I configured the addon to choose the best answer per community votes and above 3 votes. However, I noticed when a user votes on an answer and refresh the page, the sentence doesn't show, as it should, "Unmark as Best Answer" but again "Best answer".

Beside this, could it be possible to add a prefixe to the discussion, for example: "Answered"?
@Lior. - I mentioned this earlier and someone else confirmed it. This is the third person to confirm such behavior. I've disabled community votes for the time being, but maybe one of these guys can let you take a look on their sites?

Exactly. In a community, the community should pick the best answer.
So for your, 3 votes is enough to determine if an answer is the best answer?
I can bet that even in a forum "large" as yours, most of the time, your community wouldn't bother to vote. Then what? Make your moderators to pick the best answer for all the non-voted threads?
Since when 3 votes (or so) is enough to determine the best answers? You need to have very BIG website to actually have best answered to be determined by votes (like Stack Overflow), or else it's useless. Not to mention other problems, like "the popular users" that would get votes for their answers regardless of their answer.

Honestly, if @Lior. implemented your suggestion, it would be no skin off my back. I just don't think it's very feasible. It makes more sense to setup specific forums for Q and A style topics and enable this addon for those, and then have other forums setup for regular discussion and disable this addon for those forums.
Obviously I disagree. There is clearly a use for this in active off topic forums. Maybe you guys don't have off topic forums like ours e.g. http://www.avforums.com/threads/good-way-to-stop-car-misting-up-inside.1854321/
I can't imagine how annoying it would be to be a moderator on your very active site and have to dig through all those posts and determine whether or not 'Best Answer' should be enabled for it.
You mean threads, not posts, presumably?
And our moderators are reading through all threads anyway. I think on the whole, moderators would only enable the function if they considered it to be worthwhile. Or more importantly, turn it off because it's inappropriate for a particular thread.

Not to mention if someone received their answer before a staff member notices the thread and has already moved on. So now the staff member has to decide which post to mark as best answer.
In this case it really doesn't matter.
It's not like we'd enforce a rigid rule that all questions must have the Best Answer functionality applied.
And as far as implementing it is concerned, I'd guess it's a simple flag for each thread.

So for your, 3 votes is enough to determine if an answer is the best answer?
I can bet that even in a forum "large" as yours, most of the time, your community wouldn't bother to vote. Then what?
Then nothing. The thread doesn't have a post marked as the Best Answer. Who knows whether the community would bother to vote or not. I'll be optimistic.

Obviously I disagree. There is clearly a use for this in active off topic forums. Maybe you guys don't have off topic forums like ours e.g. http://www.avforums.com/threads/good-way-to-stop-car-misting-up-inside.1854321/
Obviously. Personally, this screams having a separate Q and A forum and then a regular forum for plain ole discussions.

You mean threads, not posts, presumably?
And our moderators are reading through all threads anyway. I think on the whole, moderators would only enable the function if they considered it to be worthwhile. Or more importantly, turn it off because it's inappropriate for a particular thread.
Yes, I did mean threads.

In this case it really doesn't matter.
It's not like we'd enforce a rigid rule that all questions must have the Best Answer functionality applied.
And as far as implementing it is concerned, I'd guess it's a simple flag for each thread.
Sure. As I mentioned, if it were to get implemented it doesn't affect me so long as I can disable it. I only commented because it seems more work than its worth when a better solution, IMO, would be to just have separate forums for Q and A. But I'll leave it at that. If Lior wants to add this functionality, it doesn't hurt me in anyway.

Obviously. Personally, this screams having a separate Q and A forum and then a regular forum for plain ole discussions.
So you're suggesting we make copies of our 350 odd forums and mark them as Q+A only?
Amplifier discussions
Amplifier Q+A
Speaker discussions
Speaker Q+A
And so on, doubling what is already a huge list of forums?

Seriously?
That's what you are seriously suggesting?

So you're suggesting we make copies of our 350 odd forums and mark them as Q+A only?
Amplifier discussions
Amplifier Q+A
Speaker discussions
Speaker Q+A

Seriously?
So where are the inappropriate threads are going in speaker or amplifier forums? Or the death of a speaker or amplifier is inappropriate in your community?

So where are the inappropriate threads are going in speaker or amplifier forums? Or the death of a speaker or amplifier is inappropriate in your community?
Neither. I used those as an example instead of listing all 350 forums doubled up to 700. Which I think is a ridiculous idea, BTW.

Amplifier discussions
Amplifier Q+A
Speaker discussions
Speaker Q+A

Seriously?
You're getting a little too emotional for me so good luck with this.

Actually, I guess it would be a great addition to add a notification in each "Best Answer" threads.
For example, below the first post and as long as no Best Answer has been voted, it would be great to have a default note/message inviting the user to vote for what they feel to be the best answer. Actually, my users are not used with this system and aren't aware they should vote for the best answer.

I set Best Answer Chosen By The Community.
I want all Best Answer's vote being moderated first/approve manually by my Forum Staff.
How can I do that?

Top Bottom