Mark Posts as Best Answer [Deleted]

Actually, this can already be done using Thread Display Options.
Indeed, and this is useful for people who are actively searching for it unanswered questions. But the difference is that most users will not search for functionality. If they have a call-to-action link available in plain view then they will click on it and start answering. I am currently using Answer Forums on vb. It looks pretty outdated but it does have some handy features that may inspire: http://www.modernvb.com/vb4/forums/16-Answer-Forums

I'm going to wait and see what features other people would like the most, then decide what I add in the next version.
That sounds sensible. I see @DRE also requested to have recent / popular questions the sidebar.
Point 4 has been implemented with your latest release :)

Point 1 and 3 are simple tweaks that only change the text on the button and the text field so that the user can understand the function easier and that question titles will be better. I will explain it better to illustrate its usefulness.
Its the same as what I have done here:
Post New Thread 2014-05-24 15-19-04.webp
I changed the text to 'Something descriptive here will yield more responses'. I actually borrowed the idea from @digitalpoint as his tweak increased meaningful titles on digitalpoint.com After implementing this small tweak on my big board we saw an increase of about 50% of meaningful titles.
In my question forums I have the problem that many members do not post a clear or real question and therefore there can be no best answer. People nowadays are in a rush to quickly get an answer to their questions. Applying a similar small tweak to questions by replacing this text with 'Type your question here' will motivate members to post a real question instead of something vague.

Reactions: DRE
Actually, this can already be done using Thread Display Options.

I'm afraid these are too specific requests, and I might be mistaken, but I don't think most people would like these implemented.

I'm going to wait and see what features other people would like the most, then decide what I add in the next version.

I can only say that I also would really love these kind of features, and I'm willing to chip in to make this happen. It's all improving the user experience. We have forums for discussions, but also some forums just for questions. These small mods will improve the way an user can be helped.

The last one installed perfectly, but when updating with Deeming's installer I get this, any idea why?
Code:
Server Error

copy(./library/BestAnswer/ViewPublic/Member/BestAnswers.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied

XenForo_Application::handlePhpError()
copy() in AddOnInstaller/Model/AddOn.php at line 63
AddOnInstaller_Model_AddOn->recursiveCopy() in AddOnInstaller/Model/AddOn.php at line 67
AddOnInstaller_Model_AddOn->recursiveCopy() in AddOnInstaller/Model/AddOn.php at line 67
AddOnInstaller_Model_AddOn->recursiveCopy() in AddOnInstaller/ControllerAdmin/AddOn.php at line 249
AddOnInstaller_ControllerAdmin_AddOn->actionInstallUpgrade() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 347
XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 134
XenForo_FrontController->run() in /var/www/vhosts/unofficialnetwork.org/libpar/admin.php at line 13

The last one installed perfectly, but when updating with Deeming's installer I get this, any idea why?
Code:
Server Error

copy(./library/BestAnswer/ViewPublic/Member/BestAnswers.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied

XenForo_Application::handlePhpError()
copy() in AddOnInstaller/Model/AddOn.php at line 63
AddOnInstaller_Model_AddOn->recursiveCopy() in AddOnInstaller/ControllerAdmin/AddOn.php at line 249
AddOnInstaller_ControllerAdmin_AddOn->actionInstallUpgrade() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 347
XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 134
XenForo_FrontController->run() in /var/www/vhosts/unofficialnetwork.org/libpar/admin.php at line 13
Seems like a permissions issue - the script doesn't have permission to modify library/BestAnswer/ViewPublic/Member/BestAnswers.php.

Not sure why that is, but you should try and check that file's permissions for starters.

Is that something you could implement? How much might you require to do so (if that's what it takes?)
Possibly, can't make any guarantees as to when and if, as there are other features which have been requested by lots of people that I intend to implement first.

Has anyone a live demo on his site for me to see? Message me please if you don't want to post the link here. Would like to see some live implementations before buy :)

Best Answer why include profile tabs? Note that if user don't get any marked best answer then it should be hidden in profile page tabs. I think it's just a bug.

Is it possible to change the default install setting that it has to be enabled on forums you like instead of standard all forums. I have a lot of forums and now it's turned on everywhere but I only need a few.

Reactions: rdn
hi

i am going to buy your addon
is there an option not to show best answer at the top of the thread? just highlight in the page?

Thank you

I need to modify this plugin so that the Thread Creator, the Admins, Mods, and one other usergroup can mark posts as best answer. How would I do that?

Also, if I change the minimum votes required, will I have to rebuild cache for it to take effect on all old posts?

hi

i am going to buy your addon
is there an option not to show best answer at the top of the thread? just highlight in the page?

Thank you
Currently not, going to add this in the next version though.

I need to modify this plugin so that the Thread Creator, the Admins, Mods, and one other usergroup can mark posts as best answer. How would I do that?
There's the "Mark any post as Best Answer" permission for that purpose. Just enable it for the those usergroups.

Also, if I change the minimum votes required, will I have to rebuild cache for it to take effect on all old posts?
I'm afraid at the moment even rebuilding the cache wouldn't update the best answer for old threads.

Will address this in the next release.

Top Bottom