1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Managed VPS hosting

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by garry56, Nov 16, 2013.

1. garry56

garry56 New Member

Hi there, I am thinking about getting a xenforo licence as I am very impressed with the software. The problem is that I am not very tech savy with regards to servers and installations but I have been a moderator and quite fancy running my own forum. Anyway I have decided to look for managed VPS hosting so that I don't have to worry about installation etc, a google search comes up with two companies, http://nimbushosting.co.uk but it seems they use plesk panel which I have been told is not as good as Cpanel, and http://xenforohosting.org who as well as a shared package do a VPS with Cpanel and 75gb disk and 4 gig RAM any advice is welcomed.

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Everyone will offer a different opinion as to which is best.
    Any decent host will be adequate - avoid the cheap over-subscribed shared hosts.

As for the second link in your post, at the very least they are using the XenForo name in their domain name without permission, so I personally wouldn't do business with a company such as that.

Adam Howard and MattW like this.
  3. garry56

garry56 New Member

Thank you, I would not be going for a really cheap host anyway as they wouldn't help me with the installation.

4. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

Also, all the other links on their site reference <otherforumsoftware>-hosting.org

They are also hiding their information on whois

Code:
    Domain Name:XENFOROHOSTING.ORG
    Created On:06-Oct-2013 13:55:23 UTC
    Last Updated On:06-Oct-2013 14:16:15 UTC
    Expiration Date:06-Oct-2014 13:55:23 UTC
    Sponsoring Registrar:PDR Ltd. d/b/a PublicDomainRegistry.com (R27-LROR)
    Registrant ID:PP-SP-001
    Registrant Name:Domain Admin
    Registrant Organization:PrivacyProtect.org
    Registrant Street1:ID#10760, PO Box 16
    Registrant Street2:Note - Visit PrivacyProtect.org
    Registrant Street3:to contact the domain owner/operator
    Registrant City:Nobby Beach
    Registrant State/Province:Queensland
    Registrant Postal Code:QLD 4218
    Registrant Country:AU
    Registrant Phone:+45.36946676
    Registrant Phone Ext.:
    Registrant FAX:
    Registrant FAX Ext.:
    Registrant Email:contact@privacyprotect.org

Adam Howard likes this.
  5. garry56

garry56 New Member

Also, all the other links on their site reference <otherforumsoftware>-hosting.org

Yes looks like they host other forum software too (that's a bit out of my league price wise) as does the first company. Thanks for the input guys.

6. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

What is your current budget?

7. garry56

garry56 New Member

Do you mean for forum software and hosting? As usual I am trying to get the best possible deal for the least amount of money possible with both cases, I have heard a lot of good things about this software and not that I could afford it some worrying things about that other software, the main negative I have heard about xenforo is a lack of plugins but I am hoping that will improve with time plus the price is attractive.

8. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

Your hosting. @Mike Edge does various hosting packages tailored for XenForo.

9. garry56

garry56 New Member

Thank you I will check them out as mentioned Cpanel is a bit of a must have.

Venomator likes this.
  10. Bionic Rooster

Bionic Rooster Well-Known Member

Just tried his link https://secure.xfhost.net/ and it is down it says for maintenance. But that could just be a default message.

11. The Forum Heroes

The Forum Heroes Well-Known Member

Yeap, doing some work on WHMCS

12. Bionic Rooster

Bionic Rooster Well-Known Member

Well there you go OP, from others who use @Mike Edge to host their forums they recommend him highly.
    Thanks for the update @Mike Edge it's good to see you're not down for the count LOL

SneakyDave and The Forum Heroes like this.
  13. Ernest L. Defoe

Ernest L. Defoe Well-Known Member

Yeah I have been with @Mike Edge for awhile for my hosting needs. Been with him since he started xFHost pretty much. I have nothing but good things to say.

SneakyDave and The Forum Heroes like this.
  14. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

Wow.... just.... wow....

Ya, I'm not a fan of Mike's hosting, but in this case if you're comparing just those two.... Go with Mike's.

15. The Forum Heroes

The Forum Heroes Well-Known Member

Thanks Adam.... I think :cautious:

SneakyDave likes this.
  16. hasib

hasib New Member

Hi this is hasib. I want to share about hosting management. For all kind of website hosting you can visit our site www.hostforweb.com.
    Thanks for your informative post. Best of luck. For better information you can reply me.

17. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

First post... and it's a plea for their services.
    Think I'll keep my dedicated servers and will eventually find a guinea pig to expose to an unmanaged VPS for the very expensive price of free (some restrictions applied). :coffee:

Adam Howard likes this.
  18. Venomator

Venomator Member

@garry56 - Hiya Garry, Nimbus offer cPanel on their Tornado package and upward... :D