VPS Management Tutorials?

D

Deleted member 745

Hi,

Does anyone know of any VPS Management Tutorials or courses, I checked Udemy and cant find many new ones?

I'm wanting to learn how to manage a VPS so I don't have to pay for one managed.

Thankyou

When you talk about "VPS Management" are you referring to simply interfacing with a control panel or actually getting down in the dirt and playing with the guts of the various subsystems in use?

When you talk about "VPS Management" are you referring to simply interfacing with a control panel or actually getting down in the dirt and playing with the guts of the various subsystems in use?
No, just managing the VPS, such as the cPanel, WHM etc. As I some hosting companies have VPS and VPS Managed.

The cPanel site should have ample documentation on what their options do since you aren't worried about the base level operating system. But be aware, even with cPanel/WHM there are still instances you have to get your hands dirty in the core system from CLI.
The problem is.... you can learn what those options do, but knowing the underlying processes helps you understand them. It took me about a year of playing with Linux in a VM before I became comfortable with it.

DigitalOcean has oceans of tutorial :D

You may study the LEMP stack:

DigitalOcean has oceans of tutorial
I think that's a little more detailed than what he was looking for. It appears that he is more targeting how to administer a website via cPanel/WHM than how to do it at the core operating system level.
The EASIEST way to install a LEMP stack is simply installing CentOS and grabbing CentMinMod from @eva2000. You don't get email are all those other things... but those guides you point to don't really go into detail on setting MTA's and such up either.

For email it's better to use a service for that anyway. Maintaining your own mailserver is a pain in the butt (ben there done that).

For email it's better to use a service for that anyway. Maintaining your own mailserver is a pain in the butt (ben there done that).
I've been there and done that several times myself (and have multiple hats & t-shirts)... and agree, generally it's better to off-load to a 3rd party service (I currently use AWS and get great delivery).. but it CAN be done... and it DOES take a LOT of additional knowledge. Think about it.. how many "shared hosting" XF installs use the in-built cPanel/WHM services? In most instances, this can be BETTER served by setting up a separate VPS that ONLY handles email and that has a clean IP.
And actually.. using something like Mail in a box or Mailcow is not THAT difficult. In fact, Mailcow Dockerized is probably one of the easiest to set up and run and if one knows what they are doing is fully sufficient. The BIGGEST issue is keeping your IP clean, which is something that shared hosting has a horrible problem with.

Keeping your mail IP on all the whitelists is enough to make you mad...
When I was using mailcow-dockerized it was not that difficult to do. I had a clean IP on the VPS I was using, I was able to point the PTR DNS entry at it and had my other DNS entries in order. The only major service I had issues with was Hotmail/Outlook/Live, and they actually trend to want you to PAY to get in on their "approved" list. It wasn't that big of a deal, and MANY shared hosting sites have a BIGGER issue with crap coming from their shared hosting email provider and getting blocked.
Even using Amazon SES I only get a 9.5 on my deliverability because the shared SES IP is apparently listed in SORBS.

Screen Shot 2023-04-10 at 5.04.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-10 at 5.06.31 AM.png

Could I pay extra for a dedicated IP with Amazon SES? Yep, I certainly could... but then why not continue running (and keeping the IP clean) for a VPS that already had a clean IP? It's realistically not that much more work. At least with the VPS IP the ONLY person sending email from it is me, unlike the Amazon SES IP.

Last edited:
No, just managing the VPS, such as the cPanel, WHM etc. As I some hosting companies have VPS and VPS Managed.
I'm still wondering what kind of instructions you're looking for, coz it's not enough to just install a "Klickibunti" interface and leave the rest as it is. In this case, I wouldn't go with an overbloated interface like Plesk or cPanel either. Besides, both solutions are quite expensive and you'll only use maybe 20 % of it's features. Tbh, it's money waste for only one or a few projects.

Take a look at cloudpanel.io, it's easy to install, got LE support and it's Open Source. You should a watch a tutorial how to harden a linux Installation too (e. g. change default ssh port number, allow login only with a key credentials etc.). DigitalOcean got some nice tutorials for beginners, that are easy to understand and follow.
I recommend Debian or Ubuntu for an server OS.
If you wanna use CF, use an external mail server provider, coz your server ip will be leaked if you host your own mail service on your own server and therefore it's useless if you wanna protect your server with cloudflare. Namecheap got some nice cheap offers to go with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom