Looking for a host that allows unlimited domains

I went for the standard package. So I went the route of "Addon Domains" in cPanel... but in the FTP I saw that this would put the domains under mysite.com/my2ndsite.com. So I went into WebHost Manager and 1. Added a Package 2. Created a New account (and linked the package to this new account). So now I can go through FTP with each individual domain because I have a difference username / pass for each domain to connect to FTP. I have no idea what I'm doing, but it looks like that worked LOL.

I just want to verify with them that what I did was correct. I uploaded and installed xenforo on one domain I added to them and I must say that it runs super fast. I'm quite pleased with that aspect.
You're fine. Those are called server roots.

I use GlobalGold.co.uk, and currently have 2 VPS's with them (1 linux, 1 windows). They are not the cheapest, but I have had very little problems with them, combined with skilled staff helping me whenever I run into problems.

I went for the standard package. So I went the route of "Addon Domains" in cPanel... but in the FTP I saw that this would put the domains under mysite.com/my2ndsite.com. So I went into WebHost Manager and 1. Added a Package 2. Created a New account (and linked the package to this new account). So now I can go through FTP with each individual domain because I have a difference username / pass for each domain to connect to FTP. I have no idea what I'm doing, but it looks like that worked LOL.

I just want to verify with them that what I did was correct. I uploaded and installed xenforo on one domain I added to them and I must say that it runs super fast. I'm quite pleased with that aspect.

Ah, yeah - I'm aware of that method, but do not know how it works really. Never needed to use it.

I think thiswebhost.com is from the UK because I paid the invoice in pounds :p

http://www.thiswebhost.com/blog/2010/07/22/changes-to-thiswebhost-currency-and-pricing/

Ah, yeah - I'm aware of that method, but do not know how it works really. Never needed to use it.

http://www.thiswebhost.com/blog/2010/07/22/changes-to-thiswebhost-currency-and-pricing/

When I "Addon Domain" it puts it under mysite.com/my2ndsite.com so I to visit my second site i can go to www.mysite.com/my2ndsite.com. Is this supposed to be like that? The other way I have to login to the FTP with a different username / pass for each domain which is kind of annoying, yet the domains won't be under www.mysite.com/my2ndsite.com

Is this the same for you?

The other way I have to login to the FTP with a different username / pass for each domain which is kind of annoying...

I cannot comment on the situation you describe, as I use a totally different host, but having seperate passwords fr your different FTP servers would be a good thing. That way, if one site gets compromised, it will not affect the rest.

I have different passwords for all my domains and sites, and just use CuteFTP with saved connection settings so I do not have to remember them all. Sure, at times, when I need to give access to someone else, this means I will have to reset my passwords etc, but then again, I would do that anyway.

When I "Addon Domain" it puts it under mysite.com/my2ndsite.com so I to visit my second site i can go to www.mysite.com/my2ndsite.com. Is this supposed to be like that? The other way I have to login to the FTP with a different username / pass for each domain which is kind of annoying, yet the domains won't be under www.mysite.com/my2ndsite.com

Is this the same for you?

Sort of.

My FTP directory structure is

public_html
-- ~client1
---- client1website1.com
---- subdomain.client1website.com
-- ~client2
---- client2website1.com
---- client2website2.com
-- ~client3

etc.

FTP accounts either have access to the ~client folders, or the domain folders inside a ~client folder, so there is no security risk of client 2 being able to FTP into client 1's website, or whatever.

Sort of.

My FTP directory structure is

public_html
-- ~client1
---- client1website1.com
---- subdomain.client1website.com
-- ~client2
---- client2website1.com
---- client2website2.com
-- ~client3

etc.

FTP accounts either have access to the ~client folders, or the domain folders inside a ~client folder, so there is no security risk of client 2 being able to FTP into client 1's website, or whatever.
And that public_html folder is under a domain correct? so if you upload to that folder directly then it will appear for whatever domain you have for it?

I didn't know you can make different ftp accounts for those websites under public_html... gotta try that.

And that public_html folder is under a domain correct? so if you upload to that folder directly then it will appear for whatever domain you have for it?

I didn't know you can make different ftp accounts for those websites under public_html... gotta try that.

It was originally - however I requested that my main domain was put into a ~client folder of its own, because I'm a tidy freak.

When ever you add an addon domain, you create an account with a username and password. That account has access to only the root folder for that addon domain. So if you were using the structure mysite.com/site2.com - the account you created for site2.com would only have access to the site2.com directory, not the entire public_html directory.

The way you are doing it by creating separate accounts via WHM is (imho) a much better way of doing it. I used to use the method that Darfuria does, and it was fine when I first had one or two personal sites, as I could manage them from one cpanel, but once I started hosting sites for other people that method was no longer a good option. I needed a way to keep them completely separate, and provide a way for the client to have cpanel access to manage their own stuff. That's the whole point of having a reseller setup and access to WHM. I remember I was hosting a business site for my friend and he emailed wanting to know why people would, from time to time, see the URL as 'mysite.com/clientsite' instead of 'clientsite.com' because he thought he had his own domain name. I knew at that point I needed a true reseller setup so I could keep them all separate.

That said, I also currently have an account with ThisWebHost.com (Note: This is using my affiliate link) and host 17 different sites on it. I have tried 10+ shared hosting accounts over the last 15 years and had most recently had a reseller account with hostgator. I made the switch to this* (as they like to refer to themselves) and have been absolutely thrilled with both the service, speed and price. I have a few accounts however that are probably going to push me to go VPS, but until then I'm not going anywhere. They do plan on offering dedicated hosting down the road, although they admit the cost will probably be at a higher cost than other solutions out there. With their service/support however I wouldn't hesitate to stick with them pay the extra to know I'm being taken care of.

(sorry, that ended up longer than I intended)

It's much better to set up subdomains so you have separate accounts.
It makes backups easier and less of a chance writing over files by accident.

Top Bottom