Looking for a host service. (Mike Edge/The Forum Heroes)

hosting providers do perform regular backups, normally not for client benefits, the host is protecting their own assets, clients are always responsible for maintaining their own backups, some hosts do provide a specific backup service for clients, however, there is still no guarantee that the host would be able to even recover a backup, and it is still the clients responsibility to maintain their backups, and if you run a large site, then I would recommend an external backup service, and keep backups stored in multiple locations, ultimately, it is the clients responsibily, no matter what!

Isn't that exactly what I said? ;)

Hey @SneakyDave did you check your site this morning? MechSpecs.com is still unreachable and if it was a PSU I wouldn't even be able to FTP in for backups.
Looks like the site is back up for my visit.....
You do need to start keeping off-site backups no matter where you host. Thi sincludes both the DB and also the actual script files (including all attachments, etc... the entire script directory structure).

Last edited:
The site is back up for me as well however I'm trying my FTP access and it doesn't work. Either my creds have changed or something else happened. I've tried to find his hosting website and that doesn't work either.

421 Sorry, cleartext sessions and weak ciphers are not accepted on this server.

Last edited:
The site is back up for me as well however I'm trying my FTP access and it doesn't work. Either my creds have changed or something else happened. I've tried to find his hosting website and that doesn't work either.
Typically means that that the FTP server is using "FTP Over Explicit TLS/SSL". This is actually a good thing to do... but does require the FTP client to be configured properly.

Top Bottom