Logging in by a customer of a XenForo customer

Steve Fabian

I am not a direct customer of XenForo, I am a customer of JP Software, Inc. (JPsoft). JPsoft is a XenForo customer, and I am logged into their XenForo forum most of the time. When XenForo issues come up, JPsoft usually refers us to communicate with XenForo directly. I have done this a few times, most recently yesterday, relating to an issue of characters in the middle of quoted text being displayed as an emoticon. Two responses stated:

"Put your username in here please- http://xenforo.com/customers/forum-users
So the mods know you are licensed. Then they may be able to help you."

Are the customers of your customers properly licensed? Apparently not, as obeying the above returned a message that I am not a licensed customer. So how can we get help?

Do they refer their users to go here to get support on how to use their forum? This forum is meant for support for administrators of xenforo, not users.

I am not a direct customer of XenForo, I am a customer of JP Software, Inc. (JPsoft). JPsoft is a XenForo customer, and I am logged into their XenForo forum most of the time. When XenForo issues come up, JPsoft usually refers us to communicate with XenForo directly. I have done this a few times, most recently yesterday, relating to an issue of characters in the middle of quoted text being displayed as an emoticon. Two responses stated:

Are the customers of your customers properly licensed? Apparently not, as obeying the above returned a message that I am not a licensed customer. So how can we get help?

Well, the forum you are a member of that uses XenForo should be the ones filing the complaints or problems. You're more than welcome to submit problems to this entry: http://xenforo.com/contact/ --- But as you are not a license holder, this support forum is for people who own sites that run XenForo.

The part I quoted above, can occur the correct text is placed as shown in this guide: http://xenforo.com/community/help/smilies
Example said:
I'm typing text and boom!:oops: appears.

The forum you visit can change the text that activates those icons, it's very easy to change. Therefore, it's not a bug from the XenForo software itself.

On Edit: I didn't give you 'technical support' I just shared commonly available, public information. I don't see why someone wasn't smart enough to figure that out earlier.

Do they refer their users to go here to get support on how to use their forum? This forum is meant for support for administrators of xenforo, not users.
When a user requests a feature not provided, JPsoft requests that the user contact XenForo directly. As to which forum to use at XenForo for such a purpose, it is unclear by the names of the fora, and their hierarchy. However, the hierarchy name "Public" implies that this is the group the general public is expected to use; "General XenForo Discussion and Feedback" means to me (IT expert with several decades of experience, but novice XenForo user) that if I do not find a forum whose name is more specialized in the area of my issue, this is the appropriate Forum.

Well, the forum you are a member of that uses XenForo should be the ones filing the complaints or problems. You're more than welcome to submit problems to this entry: http://xenforo.com/contact/ --- But as you are not a license holder, this support forum is for people who own sites that run XenForo.
See my response above regarding the full path naming of this forum.

The part I quoted above, can occur the correct text is placed as shown in this guide: http://xenforo.com/community/help/smilies
http://xenforo.com/community/help/smilies
It is very difficult to memorize what character sequence is considered an emoticon by which program. Some use more than others. However, I never saw anyone inserting an emoticon in the middle of a word. It seems to me that any string not separated from letters on either side, esp. if those letters form words in the spelling dictionary, should never be considered an emoticon.

The forum you visit can change the text that activates those icons, it's very easy to change. Therefore, it's not a bug from the XenForo software itself.
I did not report it as a bug. I requested assistance on displaying it as plain text. One response requires the poster to prevent XenForo software considering text as emoticons a priori, which does not help with messages already posted, and is difficult when posting for the above reasons. I have been informed through another source that I can turn off emoticons in my preferences, which (after first closing and then reopening the Firefox tab displaying the thread) corrected the situation.

On Edit: I didn't give you 'technical support' I just shared commonly available, public information. I don't see why someone wasn't smart enough to figure that out earlier.
I did not intend to imply otherwise.

To display plain text, use the plain BBCode.

As xF is a commercial software, most aren't willing to give support outside the forums intended for that.

However, the practice over there, to forward your requests here, seems very strange to me. If feature A is missing, and for example needs an addon, a user of the forum are no position to do anything about it. At any rate, the proper way of handling any missing functionality is that the admin(s) asks for help, as they are the only ones in position to do anything about it.

If members on any of my forum sites have a problem, I deal with it if I can.
If not I come here to ask.

In my case I'm only carrying several tiny sites, about 100 members each = maybe 500 in all. Bad enough to expect XF to look after them - but there are sites with thousands and thousands of members! Totally unfair to pass one's support work over to XF.

In order for you to be able to post here and ask questions of anything pertaining to technical issues with the board you work on...you would need the purchaser of the license to add your email as an associated user

associated.webp

In order for you to be able to post here and ask questions of anything pertaining to technical issues with the board you work on...you would need the purchaser of the license to add your email as an associated user
But that doesn't seem too practical, as this site (JPSoft) appears to be sending ANYBODY with a question about how the XenForo forums works to this site.

I don't know that I agree that only XF licensees should be addressing complaints/issues with XF. If I see a problem with a piece of software, and I can't get any help from the site (again, JPSoft in this case) why shouldn't I be able to expect to get help at xenforo.com?

I don't know that I agree that only XF licensees should be addressing complaints/issues with XF. If I see a problem with a piece of software, and I can't get any help from the site (again, JPSoft in this case) why shouldn't I be able to expect to get help at xenforo.com?

I can sympathize, however you cannot expect this site (xenforo.com) and its staff to be aware of how another site uses their software. For all they know the problem stems from a modification of the software.

The software is bundled with basic end-user instructions on how to use the forum (see Help). Any further detailed information local to the JPSoft forum will have to be provided by the staff of said forum.

Top Bottom