Location custom field by AddonsLab

Location custom field by AddonsLab [Paid] 1.8.3

No permission to buy ($39.99)
AddonsLab updated Location custom field by AddonsLab with a new update entry:

Country/State/City-based search support

The version adds support for address-based filtering. A new option is available on Add/Edit Custom field pages, to choose if filtering by this field should show range-based search options (the ZIP code/address in combination with the range in km or miles), or selection lists with available country/state/city options to choose from. The option has any effect only if you are using any of our Filter add-ons.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Some ideas for that:

1. If you need only one country, you have to uncheck 250 other countries?
2. A lot of countries just dont use miles; there should be an option to deactivate it.
3. Are there any docs? I still dont understand what to do to make a search by PLZ.
When i search with 1000km i got my city, when i use 50km i cant find it - searching with 10000 for 10000.
4. What is happen if you search for 10001, but there is no PLZ with that value? The next higher/lower will be taken? Just to show no result is not user-friendly.
5. It would be nice to search for 10,50,100,200km only (doing it in template? I have not searched for now)
6. When i use provinces, i got just some cities, maybe 7 from 40 really large ones. Nobody will understand why they are there and others not.

I have a question about this AddOn! :)

For example, me and also another user has given his address in the profile. Would it be possible to show the location with the additional distance to me when visiting the profile?

Also: Would it be possible to find users near me (within a given distance)?

Thanks a lot! :)

Could someone please answer this? :)

Could someone please answer this? :)

Sorry, I missed your question.

None of the features you have mentioned are available. The add-on just adds support for entering location information in the profile and showing that information in a standard way. It is just another custom field "type", like "star rating", drop-down selection or any other type supported by XenForo.

@Robert9 we have assigned you a license of this add-on to test. Using the add-on should clarify most of the questions you have, but here are some quick answers:

1. If you need only one country, you have to uncheck 250 other countries?

No, you can enter the list of countries you want to show when creating a custom field.

2. A lot of countries just dont use miles; there should be an option to deactivate it.

No such option, for now, just an option to put the default unit. I don't see any reason to disallow users from using miles if they wish so, just put the default to km and all your users will see it in the UI without having to anyhow interact with it, but users who wish to use miles will still be able to change it.

3. Are there any docs? I still dont understand what to do to make a search by PLZ.

Just enter the zip code or the address, no difference in the UI:

1591364197985.webp

When i search with 1000km i got my city, when i use 50km i cant find it - searching with 10000 for 10000.

Please reproduce the problem and provide us data required to see the issue and we will check.

4. What is happen if you search for 10001, but there is no PLZ with that value? The next higher/lower will be taken? Just to show no result is not user-friendly.

We supply the ZIP code/address to the Google API to convert it to a geographical location. We don't control how Google handles such cases, most likely it returns the closest point's coordinates.

5. It would be nice to search for 10,50,100,200km only (doing it in template? I have not searched for now)

Yes, that can be done easily with a template modification, just use a select element instead of input, but make sure to keep its attribute.

6. When i use provinces, i got just some cities, maybe 7 from 40 really large ones. Nobody will understand why they are there and others not.

Areas and cities can be managed via the admin panel - https://xenforo.com/community/resou...y-addonslab.7424/#lg=attachment211739&slide=0

Thank you!

Thank you. I have now deleted all data, that is not needed directly in mysql, is there a tool to add new cities or do i add them also directly in mysql?
I found it. :)

Bug-fix: location_options field missing default value

In case of executing direct queries to create custom fields, a column added by this product would throw an error as it does not have a default value. This update fixes the compatibility issue with the Gamer Profiles add-on.

The new version is available for all licensed customers at

Thank you!

Harutyun,

since with RMS you can use Google adresses with auto-complete, could you manage that this addon uses this field values instead of having to create additional custom fields? Would make things a little bit easier to setup.

Bug-fix: location custom field in filter add-ons reloads the form before the address is specified

The release fixes a JavaScript issue, that happens if you use the Location field with our Filter add-ons. The filter form would reload before users have put the address fully.

The new version is available for all licensed customers at - https://customers.addonslab.com/marketplace.php/my-services/

Thank you!

When i choose "range" the range search doesnt work.
If i choose Country/State/City selection, the range searc is working, but with this i dont want to have a range search. I want to have selection fields.

Probably i have to change the form field for the range by template mod to offer 0, 10, 50, 100 kilometers?

Last edited:
setup clean forum on intern server.
installed rm
installed rm filter, thread filter
installed location field

added custom field location for rm and threads.
setup both just in the same way, step by step

choose for both Country/State/City selection
resources shows range search plus field for country
threads show country, area, town like it should be.
resources shows range search plus country

Last edited:
I tried it again in a clean forum.

I can choose "range search" or "Country/State/City selection"

If i choose "Country/State/City selection" i still have the "range search" in the filter_form,
but no selection for city, only for country.

Please, which apis are needed from Google to use the distance functions?

Maybee i have missunderstood the way the addon works?
I thought
a) "range search" means to say: Show me all places 100km around New York.
b) "selection" means: Choose New York and you will see all people from New York.

Now i am in your forum here:

I have added a thread with a "custom location" of a larger city.
Then i search for 200km but with the name of the next city to this city.
Normaly a search with <30 km should show nothing, a search with > 50km should show it.
But nothing is happen.

If the search with Google doesn't work, it would be nice to say: Show me all threads with
=> Country => area => city from a specific list, but it seems that the "location_field" dont do that?

Please try to find this thread with the search for 10km and "San Diego" or "91911 San Diego California, United States "

Location within 111 Kilometers from 1234 Alabaster Alabama, United States Clear all
There are no threads matching your filters.

Top Bottom