Live Update

Live Update 4.0.1

No permission to download
I may have a pull request for some functionality to add to 4.1.0 beta coming at some stage.

Basically; the idea is to reduce the amount of polling by separate tabs on modern browsers while still retaining the 'live update' bit :D

Did this stuff made it to the RC of 4.1?

I think Xon and I discussed it, too, and I possibly stated that I was working on it or would be working on it. That's basically not happened yet :)

It will happen, though.

Usergroup permissions for this functionality would be great. Last time I turned this on for my big board did not go well. I had to turn it off to keep my site available.

@Stuart Wright are you providing this functionality to all your members?

Yes, he is. And TAZ is too, I believe. The poll timer can be increased which can help performance. Reports of performance issues seem to be greatly varied and inconsistent though.

Or the editorial system isn't compatible with the add-on...

I don't recall you reporting anything, nor can I think of any scope for such errors to occur, happy to hear about these issues though if you'd like that to be troubleshooted further.

To the Dev,..

Love this addon. Only recently had an issue.

I have multiple favicon's (with a prefix) that are used in different places on my site.

Recently I discovered that when logged in, the favicon always reverts to my root favicon.ico, as the Live Update mod overwrites the favicon with a hardcoded reference to the root favicon.

Until I can resolve that, I need to be able to switch off the "tab icon" or "both" selectors from user preferences as well as do a query to change all users settings.

Does anybody have a query I can run to switch all users to "tab title" so I can prevent the wrong favicon from showing?

The current one, 4.0.1.

I have been looking in the javascript files and see it hardcoded, so I suspect that is where the issue is.

Until I can resolve that, I need to be able to switch off the "tab icon" or "both" selectors from user preferences
Edit the liveupdate_account_preferences_display template and replace the entire contents with:
Code:
<input type="hidden" name="liveupdate_display_option" value="tab_title" />
as well as do a query to change all users settings.

Does anybody have a query I can run to switch all users to "tab title" so I can prevent the wrong favicon from showing?
Code:
UPDATE xf_user_option
SET liveupdate_display_option = 'tab_title'
That should do it :)

Reactions: CTS
Thank you Chris !!

Works as needed.

If you ever find a way to make it so the Live Update feature can assign different favicon.ico's to a particular style, it would be perfect.

Thanks again

@Chris D, not sure if you missed this...

... I am not getting the browser to ask me if I would like to receive notifications. I have to enable it manually in the browser. Then the notifications come through, no problem. (The default in my browser is set to "Ask.")
Not a huge deal, but from what little I understand from Google's documentation, there is some small bit of code needed to trigger the browser to pop open the permission dialog for receiving notifications.

One other minor bug--on our testing forum, the browser notification shows no icon. Yet the version on the lower-traffic forum is showing the logo with no issues. Fluke on my end, maybe? Both are configured and installed the same way. I completely uninstalled Live Update, including the Live Update directories in "js" and "library".
I think this happens since the notifications are on our "testing" forum which is behind an htaccess login. So, I am not worrying about this problem any further.

EDIT: One other minor bug...? My one forum has an ampersand in its name, and it comes through in the notification as the HTML entity &amp; .
This would just need some code to change the &amp; entity back to text?

Top Bottom