Like/Dislike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir nick

Well i was chatting about the like system and people mentioned reputation system. Well i said their should be a dislike button.

Which IMO would make up for the reputation system. I think you guys maybe have it but disabled it; As it tends to be abused .

/Fail title name :(

Upvote 2
I have mixed feelings about a 'dislike' button. Expressing negative opinions is fine and all, but that's not really what most forums strive for. There will be a percentage of users who will be offended when their posts are disliked, which just leads to bad feelings and a negative tone towards the whole experience. Not to mention, it's usually abused (Digg or YouTube, anyone?). Then again, it's an easy way to weed out posts that simply are garbage.

If it were implemented, an option to disable it would be nice.

I have mixed feelings about a 'dislike' button. Expressing negative opinions is fine and all, but that's not really what most forums strive for. There will be a percentage of users who will be offended when their posts are disliked, which just leads to bad feelings and a negative tone towards the whole experience. Not to mention, it's usually abused (Digg or YouTube, anyone?). Then again, it's an easy way to weed out posts that simply are garbage.

If it were implemented, an option to disable it would be nice.

Yes their would have to be options to disable of course.

There will never be a dislike button.

Not even as an option - disabled by default on all installations?

Interesting...

I personally wouldn't enable a Dislike feature in my forums, but I can definitely see a reason to include that option. Hope you're ready for people to ask for this feature day in and day out :D

The general response to this in the Facebook world is that if you dislike something, it's better to post a comment to say/explain it, rather than a "you wrote something bad" button. It's very easy to do "drive-by disliking", so the comment makes it a little harder and possibly promotes discussion.

The general response to this in the Facebook world is that if you dislike something, it's better to post a comment to say/explain it, rather than a "you wrote something bad" button. It's very easy to do "drive-by disliking", so the comment makes it a little harder and possibly promotes discussion.

I agree whole-heartedly, but I also think it'd be a good idea to leave it up to the discretion of the forum owner on how to use it.

By not including the feature at all, you're deciding how your customers should run their forums.

if you dislike something, it's better to post a comment to say/explain it, rather than a "you wrote something bad" button. It's very easy to do "drive-by disliking", so the comment makes it a little harder and possibly promotes discussion.
This is exactly why reputation comments are needed. With comment moderation and reporting to prevent abuse. Show the comments below posts and you have a winner.
This increased the quality of post content my forum to a extreme degree and really helped my site grow to a big board.
The reason reputation does not work for all vbulletin sites is that vb's reputation system lacks vital functionality.

I like the way Kier & Mike think. Perfect for our needs.

A mod/hack might allow for the 'negative likes', but I would never use it.

I like the way Kier & Mike think. Perfect for our needs.

A mod/hack might allow for the 'negative likes', but I would never use it.

Thats what i was thinking; I am gonna add it if their is one but to certain boards. Example: Site Feedback. If i make a new update people will be able to dis-like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom