1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Like/Dislike

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Sir nick, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir nick

Sir nick Well-Known Member

Well i was chatting about the like system and people mentioned reputation system. Well i said their should be a dislike button.

Which IMO would make up for the reputation system. I think you guys maybe have it but disabled it; As it tends to be abused .

/Fail title name :(

Shelby and Shamil like this.
  2. Jason

Jason Well-Known Member

I have mixed feelings about a 'dislike' button. Expressing negative opinions is fine and all, but that's not really what most forums strive for. There will be a percentage of users who will be offended when their posts are disliked, which just leads to bad feelings and a negative tone towards the whole experience. Not to mention, it's usually abused (Digg or YouTube, anyone?). Then again, it's an easy way to weed out posts that simply are garbage.

If it were implemented, an option to disable it would be nice.

Oguritaiki likes this.
  3. Sir nick

Yes their would have to be options to disable of course.

4. Biker

Biker Well-Known Member

Regardless of how the system ends up, the option to disable should be an option.

5. Nix

Nix Well-Known Member

I agree the option to disable the dislike would be nice.

6. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

There will never be a dislike button.

Alien, Acid, alfan and 17 others like this.
  7. Sir nick

thanks.

8. Freddie

Freddie Active Member

9. Nix

Nix Well-Known Member

Nice, that takes any negativity away and the need to have it switched off away hehe

10. Sir nick

11. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Not even as an option - disabled by default on all installations?

Interesting...

I personally wouldn't enable a Dislike feature in my forums, but I can definitely see a reason to include that option. Hope you're ready for people to ask for this feature day in and day out :D

12. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

The general response to this in the Facebook world is that if you dislike something, it's better to post a comment to say/explain it, rather than a "you wrote something bad" button. It's very easy to do "drive-by disliking", so the comment makes it a little harder and possibly promotes discussion.

Alien, alfan, mikoo and 6 others like this.
  13. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

I agree whole-heartedly, but I also think it'd be a good idea to leave it up to the discretion of the forum owner on how to use it.

By not including the feature at all, you're deciding how your customers should run their forums.

rafass, Kyle Casiglio and faeronsayn like this.
  14. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

This is exactly why reputation comments are needed. With comment moderation and reporting to prevent abuse. Show the comments below posts and you have a winner.
    This increased the quality of post content my forum to a extreme degree and really helped my site grow to a big board.
    The reason reputation does not work for all vbulletin sites is that vb's reputation system lacks vital functionality.

Cibox likes this.
  15. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

I like the way Kier & Mike think. Perfect for our needs.

A mod/hack might allow for the 'negative likes', but I would never use it.

16. Sir nick

Thats what i was thinking; I am gonna add it if their is one but to certain boards. Example: Site Feedback. If i make a new update people will be able to dis-like it.

17. Marcus

Marcus Well-Known Member

Thanks. That would destroy every community fast.

18. Biker

Biker Well-Known Member

Then the ability to turn the blasted feature off is a must then.

Mikey likes this.
  19. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Ironically I almost 'liked' your post, but was not sure how you would respond :D

20. dieketzer

dieketzer Well-Known Member

it would be great if we could add multiple 'like' functions and label as needed, such as agree/thanks/laugh/etc

Moses, Apokalupsis and TWTCommish like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.