[Liam W.] Thread Solutions

[Liam W.] Thread Solutions 2.5.0

No permission to download

Liam W

in memoriam 1998-2020
Liam W submitted a new resource:

Thread Solutions - Mark posts as a solution to a thread.

This add-on allows your users to mark a thread as 'solved' by choosing a post as a solution. These posts are given markup, to make them more obvious, and a link at the top of the thread allows the user to be taken directly to the solution.

Multiple solutions per thread are allowed, allowing more than one person to be appreciated for giving a resolving answer.

This add-on is currently in late alpha, with new features due to be added:
  • User statistics integration (waiting for a...

Read more about this resource...

Very nice.

A couple of things I'd like:

• Some optional text phrase (or FA icon) to mark the solution post in addition to or instead of the nice mint colour.
  • Style property to choose colour. (Easy enough to use extra.css though)
  • When there is more than one solution post in a thread, I wonder if the link to solution could either allow you to cycle through all marked posts. i.e. link goes to fist post but floats there with a link on the the next one. Alternatively it just shows search results for all marked posts.
  • Restrict to specific forums

Last edited:
Some optional text phrase (or FA icon) to mark the solution post in addition to or instead of the nice mint colour.

I've done that anyway with CSS:

Code:
.message.is-solution:before {
   content: "  Solution ";
        line-height:2em;
    font-style:normal;
    font-size:20px;
    padding-left:10px;
  }

But a phrase would be nice.

Last edited:
This is also implemented, there’s an ‘Allow solutions’ checkbox when editing nodes.

Maybe better unticked by default? If I only want on one node, I have a lot of nodes to go through and untick! But then other people would want them all enabled I suppose. Either way some people will have to trawl through and edit many nodes.

So maybe in Options a box where you select which nodes are solution enabled would be best IMO.

This is already implemented, it’s under the ‘Messages’ property category.

Missed that, I was looking for its own property category.

It's good to have the automatic prefix, however only if a thread doesn't already have a prefix. Would it be possible to either have "solved" as an extra prefix, or some other way to mark solved threads in the thread list?

So maybe in Options a box where you select which nodes are solution enabled would be best IMO.

This wouldn't really be possible - it would be really bad for performance.

It's good to have the automatic prefix, however only if a thread doesn't already have a prefix. Would it be possible to either have "solved" as an extra prefix, or some other way to mark solved threads in the thread list?

An extra prefix might be possible, actually. Let me look into it.

Liam

This wouldn't really be possible - it would be really bad for performance.

Maybe we are talking about things, because what I'm thinking about already exists within xenforo core, when you go to create a thread prefix for example, there is a selection box where you choose which forums apply - I meant something rather like that. Is that bad for performance?

Regardless of whether or not it's bad for performance, it's really bad UX - it's an option directly tied to the forum, and as such, it should be part of the forum creation/editing process - just like the other options applied to forums.

Liam

it should be part of the forum creation/editing process

Yes, I can see that if you are starting a forum scratch, but not if you already have all your forums and then add somethin afterwards, such as this.

just like the other options applied to forums.

- except thread prefixes as mentioned, which as a dropdown selection box to choose which forums apply. This is what I was thinking of.

However, I trust and respect your opinion about that and keep up the good work.

- except thread prefixes as mentioned, which as a dropdown selection box to choose which forums apply. This is what I was thinking of.

Thread prefixes are separate content though, stored separately from forums - and the thread prefix forum usage can be edited from the forum edit page.

Currently only thread starter can mark a post as solved.

My mods have requested there be a permission for them to also mark posts by anyone as solved. It would need to be a separte permission.

• Mark post in own thread as solution
  • Mark post in any thread as solution (e.g. for admin and mod groups only)

Currently only thread starter can mark a post as solved.

My mods have requested there be a permission for them to also mark posts by anyone as solved. It would need to be a separte permission.

• Mark post in own thread as solution
  • Mark post in any thread as solution (e.g. for admin and mod groups only)

That’s been implemented for 2.1.0, along with having the solved prefix in addition to another prefix.

I’m still testing it, it should be released in the next week or so.

Liam

Top Bottom