Isn't Reply & + Quote Confusing?

TheBigK

Now that we have +Quote option that lets people quote messages; I think Reply should only take the user down to the post editor; and *not* quote the message!

Also, in order to make the user not lose the reference to the post he/she is replying to; why not just open the reply box right below the message the user is replying to; instead of taking the user all the way down to the bottom of the page? Our forum has 20 posts/page (most forums do) and it makes no sense to scroll back up if I want to read the next message.

Indeed Reply + Quote is very confusing.

Thankfully it's very easy to disable multi-quote:

Admin CP -> Options -> Messages -> Enable Multi Quote

That's what quick reply is for.

To the right of each post, there's a Reply link, and it's pretty obvious it indicates you'll be replying to that person, so I personally see nothing confusing about the current setup.

For me it's not confusing; because I'm used to it.

But think from the standpoint of a person who's totally new to XenForo. I press 'reply' -> the message gets quoted. If I want to quote just one message, I use 'Quote'.

Im used to XDA-Developer which has "Reply and ""MultiQuote so I am already use to Reply meaning reply with quote. If you are replying to a specific post you should be quoting. If your replying to the thread only well yeah sure you might be used to having a jump to bottom button on every post but thats not the same as reply to post. That said they also had a quick reply button which means no quote.

I'd prefer to read "+MultiQuote" and "+Quote" below a post, but I heard it is possible to rename/translate this very easily.

I also like the reply button, if it was having a different functionality such as the one mentioned above:
Why not just open the reply box right below the message the user is replying to

I am not sure though, if three buttons (or even four, considering there is also the "Like" button) is the right way to go... :unsure:

Last edited:
I'm not "confused." I don't know where you got that notion from.

"+Quote" is really, really self explanatory.
think from the standpoint of a person who's totally new to XenForo. I press 'reply' -> the message gets quoted. If I want to quote just one message, I use 'Quote'.
+ Represents "plus" therefore, it's telling the user that you can multiply that "quote." So, really, the word "Multi" isn't really required.

I don't find it confusing and neither do my users as I always post about new features so I've given an explanation or Reply and + Quote.

As has been said, if the phrases "Reply" and "Quote" bother you, then just rename them.

The phrases are multiquote_add, multiquote_remove and reply (and you may also want to change reply_quoting_this_message).

Reply has been Quote on my forum since I first installed it.

I have mentioned this before but the use of the word Reply in this context makes no sense to me, especially now there is multi-quote.
When I click Reply here, yes I may be replying directly to the post author but I am also explicitly quoting them.

Now we have two different words for the same function.

Still, no big deal, I just edited the phrases to suit my particular preference.

I changed "Reply" to say "Quote" years ago because Reply just encourages pointless quoting of the previous message. When I upgrade to 1.3 it will say "+MultiQuote" and "Quote" and I will also change the tooltip hover text to make it a bit more clear.

Top Bottom