1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Isn't Reply & + Quote Confusing?

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by TheBigK, Mar 13, 2014.

1. TheBigK

TheBigK Well-Known Member

Now that we have +Quote option that lets people quote messages; I think Reply should only take the user down to the post editor; and *not* quote the message!

Also, in order to make the user not lose the reference to the post he/she is replying to; why not just open the reply box right below the message the user is replying to; instead of taking the user all the way down to the bottom of the page? Our forum has 20 posts/page (most forums do) and it makes no sense to scroll back up if I want to read the next message.
    feldon30 and Veer like this.
  2. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

Why not just open the reply box right below
    the message the user is replying to
    Agree with this (y)
    feldon30, gldtn and TheBigK like this.
  3. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

Indeed Reply + Quote is very confusing.

Thankfully it's very easy to disable multi-quote:

Admin CP -> Options -> Messages -> Enable Multi Quote
    Claudio and Veer like this.
  4. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

That's what quick reply is for.

To the right of each post, there's a Reply link, and it's pretty obvious it indicates you'll be replying to that person, so I personally see nothing confusing about the current setup.
  5. whynot

whynot Well-Known Member

Very confusing for users not familiar with XF.
  6. Renegade

Renegade Well-Known Member

Rename +Quote to +MultiQuote
    DFI, imno007 and LiLChris like this.
  7. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Good suggestion. I hadn't even thought of that.
  8. TheBigK

TheBigK Well-Known Member

For me it's not confusing; because I'm used to it.

But think from the standpoint of a person who's totally new to XenForo. I press 'reply' -> the message gets quoted. If I want to quote just one message, I use 'Quote'.
  9. rainmotorsports

rainmotorsports Well-Known Member

Im used to XDA-Developer which has "Reply and ""MultiQuote so I am already use to Reply meaning reply with quote. If you are replying to a specific post you should be quoting. If your replying to the thread only well yeah sure you might be used to having a jump to bottom button on every post but thats not the same as reply to post. That said they also had a quick reply button which means no quote.
    TheBigK likes this.
  10. TLMD

TLMD Active Member

I'd prefer to read "+MultiQuote" and "+Quote" below a post, but I heard it is possible to rename/translate this very easily.

I also like the reply button, if it was having a different functionality such as the one mentioned above:
    I am not sure though, if three buttons (or even four, considering there is also the "Like" button) is the right way to go... :unsure:
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
    TheBigK likes this.
  11. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

I'm not "confused." I don't know where you got that notion from.

"+Quote" is really, really self explanatory.
    + Represents "plus" therefore, it's telling the user that you can multiply that "quote." So, really, the word "Multi" isn't really required.
  12. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

I don't find it confusing and neither do my users as I always post about new features so I've given an explanation or Reply and + Quote.

As has been said, if the phrases "Reply" and "Quote" bother you, then just rename them.

The phrases are multiquote_add, multiquote_remove and reply (and you may also want to change reply_quoting_this_message).
    CyclingTribe likes this.
  13. whynot

whynot Well-Known Member

+ Quote Reply ?

Multiquote Quote would suffice.
  14. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Reply has been Quote on my forum since I first installed it.

I have mentioned this before but the use of the word Reply in this context makes no sense to me, especially now there is multi-quote.
    When I click Reply here, yes I may be replying directly to the post author but I am also explicitly quoting them.

Now we have two different words for the same function.

Still, no big deal, I just edited the phrases to suit my particular preference.
    soloarquitectura, Amaury and feldon30 like this.
  15. Ingenious

Ingenious Well-Known Member

I changed "Reply" to say "Quote" years ago because Reply just encourages pointless quoting of the previous message. When I upgrade to 1.3 it will say "+MultiQuote" and "Quote" and I will also change the tooltip hover text to make it a bit more clear.