Is there a CMS planned?

I help run and maintain a large site - having a platform that's extensible and not bloated is of high priority. We do not need a CMS, an article system, nor a blog system. All we want is a powerful platform that runs an equally powerful forum application.

There could be a perfect solution for you... oh you've already figured it out ;)

I help run and maintain a large site - having a platform that's extensible and not bloated is of high priority. We do not need a CMS, an article system, nor a blog system. All we want is a powerful platform that runs an equally powerful forum application.

Well you, my dear, have found it. :D

How well does that work for you, (meaning, using WordPress as standalone instead of bridge)? I'm thinking about doing the same thing with my 3.8 sites.

I have almost always used WP as my forums' home page. I don't allow comments on it. I use it for announcements, advertisements, showcasing, etc. etc etc. That keeps my forum clean, free of ads and such, and a comfortable place for my members to post.

Why even waste time focusing on another CMS? There are already two great CMS' freely available in Drupal and Joomla.
If they were to, or if someone else were to create something like converge from IPB and link Xen to Drupal or Joomla; you then have the most extensive CMS available without sacrificing anything.
IPB's IP.Content however is truly awesome. Much better than the so called CMS from vBulletin.

Why even waste time focusing on another CMS? There are already two great CMS' freely available in Drupal and Joomla.
If they were to, or if someone else were to create something like converge from IPB and link Xen to Drupal or Joomla; you then have the most extensive CMS available without sacrificing anything.
IPB's IP.Content however is truly awesome. Much better than the so called CMS from vBulletin.

Why did IPB make one if there's already Drupal and Joomla? ;)

People like getting their products from one source that also takes full advantage of the system they're using.

I have almost always used WP as my forums' home page. I don't allow comments on it. I use it for announcements, advertisements, showcasing, etc. etc etc. That keeps my forum clean, free of ads and such, and a comfortable place for my members to post.

I'm going to play around with the idea...although, I might want to try and integrate because I DO want to allow some comments.

I think noone here what this forum to become ODD. CMS would kill XF.

What Kier and so may lose time doing is on integrating the board on a framework OR somekind of API OR integrating with something like drupal. IMO losing time with a custom cms is crazy.

However, i approve "Pages" just like in the home.

How well does that work for you, (meaning, using WordPress as standalone instead of bridge)? I'm thinking about doing the same thing with my 3.8 sites.

I use it in same manner Peggy outlined, comments closed etc, use it straight news/review system in wordpress. Although i still use openx + memcached for ads across wordpress and vB forums. Just makes updating wordpress and vB much easier knowing their separate and not to mention any security issues on wordpress won't effect vB directly at least.

I know they said it won't have a blog/CMS initially but I'm looking forward to when it does. I suspect that will be my conversion point.

That pretty much sums up my opinion also. I currently use CMS from vB4 and I'm looking to make it the entrance page on my website altough still a lot to do on url, style, speed, content, ...

I'll elaborate on this...

Why the need of a CMS: Our revenue comes from advertising, CMS is another good possibility of displaying ads, advertisers also tend to prefer other formats than forums to place theire ads, they give it more value, at least perception for forums from advertisers is that it is a bunch of kids or geeks that do not have a potential interest for them.
On the other hand to use a forum you have to have some knowledge of internet browsing and still you'll loose a lot of the content of a forum (unless you are addicted and spend hours on it, and still it depends on how big it is), thus a CMS is ideal for 1. your audience that does not know how to navigate trough a forum and 2. to enable you to present the most important content to a casual user that will be able to find and read it without deep browsing.

Having it integrated has advantages and disadvantages, at least that is what I learned from vB4...

Biggest advantage is one login common to platform, being able to promote users to publishers, editors, etc, all in one commom user db, upgrade sw and management is one process only, etc.

Disadvantages also come into, at least on vB4 I now have a slow cms, and I am unable to split it from my db/http server (at least with my knowledge), thus we are evaluating switching the cms to wordpress (with some amazing out of the box themes).

I still have a lot to optimize on my forums as it is for me almost a part time and I do not have neither the time nor the knowledge to do it but nevertheless what I look for is scalable alternative very straight forward.

Honestly a CMS or some kind of Wordpress or content management being intergrated is critical. Content is king. Give me articles, comments, categories, tags and I will be happy.

Honestly a CMS or some kind of Wordpress or content management being intergrated is critical. Content is king. Give me articles, comments, categories, tags and I will be happy.
Content truely is king, and that being said, being able to aggregate said content in a variety of different ways is what makes social networking successful.

Wordpress is a good front page and blog, but a CMS it's not. It's not multiuser enough.

A lot of things get called a CMS which are not a CMS.

Wordpress is a good front page and blog, but a CMS it's not. It's not multiuser enough.

A lot of things get called a CMS which are not a CMS.

A CMS doesn't need to be Multiuser to be called a CMS, considering CMS simply stands for a Content Management System, as long as you can create and manage content via the system then it is a CMS... Wordpress allows this, so do other CMS's like Modx and Joomla etc.

Then we need to redefine CMS because used as a generic term like that, Frontpage, Yahoo! Page Builder, vBAdvanced, and Notepad.exe qualify, and that's just wrong.

Then we need to redefine CMS because used as a generic term like that, Frontpage or Notepad.exe qualify, and that's just wrong.

Well each to their preferred choice right... But I wouldn't go as far as saying Frontpage or Notepad.exe qulaify because they are document creators/text editors not content managers.

My definition of a Content manager is one where the content is easily created and managed. Normally upon a template system neither frontpage or notepad fit that category.

For me, a CMS is a piece of kit that allows me to publish content and do whatever I want with it. I've made a very simple implementation of it on a company website, http://www.radonsystems.net/business/profile.html. Basically, the site template is dynamic, and the CMS script is independent of the style.

Here's what the CMS script on that site does:

get the data from $_GET[do], checks database for it. If found, retrieves the content from that. If not found, spit out error message.

The CMS backend (I love this word, don't I?), is basically a page, which lists the pages there. There's a simple interface to edit/add content, but not delete. Here's a few pics.
index.webp

edit.webp

For me, a CMS is a piece of kit that allows me to publish content and do whatever I want with it. I've made a very simple implementation of it on a company website, http://www.radonsystems.net/business/profile.html. Basically, the site template is dynamic, and the CMS script is independent of the style.

Here's what the CMS script on that site does:

get the data from $_GET[do], checks database for it. If found, retrieves the content from that. If not found, spit out error message.

The CMS backend (I love this word, don't I?), is basically a page, which lists the pages there. There's a simple interface to edit/add content, but not delete. Here's a few pics.
View attachment 991

View attachment 992

Indeed that is a perfect example of a CMS :D... A Content management system, where the content can be simply created and edited, and it independent of the style etc...

Top Bottom