Is there a CMS planned?

This is somewhat tangential, but the term "CMS" means something different to so many people. I personally think that making a simple article/review manager would be a mistake if the end goal is a full-fledged CMS. Because the concept is so varying, it's important to understand requirements and goals, otherwise you may simply end up with a system that has to be rewritten to be more generic. The requirement gathering/understanding process isn't going to be simple IMO.

If you are not interested in a CMS, and are just looking for great forum software, you would be frustrated if we delayed the release of the forum in order to pursue a CMS. What we have here is a great software platform for future development, and what we think is a very good forum system built on top of it. We want to get the product into customers' and third-party developers' hands as soon as we can, so that we can start to build the ecosystem of add-ons, and get valuable feedback from people actually running the software for themselves.

This. Thank you. :)

To me, a CMS is a system whereby content can be managed.

I.E, the publication of pages or such, with user intervention. A forum, to me, is a special type of CMS.

I don't need an article blah, all I would like to do is create a simple page with information, as seen here.

What we have here is a great software platform for future development, and what we think is a very good forum system built on top of it. We want to get the product into customers' and third-party developers' hands as soon as we can, so that we can start to build the ecosystem of add-ons, and get valuable feedback from people actually running the software for themselves.
Thanks for your detailed reply. Now we know the road ahead of us. I think in a couple of years XenForo will be the best one out there.

The site I will probably use XenForo on will need a CMS eventually, but I can honestly do without until a time where the forum has been developed to a point where the developers, and customers (Including me) are happy with the product.

This is somewhat tangential, but the term "CMS" means something different to so many people. I personally think that making a simple article/review manager would be a mistake if the end goal is a full-fledged CMS. Because the concept is so varying, it's important to understand requirements and goals, otherwise you may simply end up with a system that has to be rewritten to be more generic. The requirement gathering/understanding process isn't going to be simple IMO.

That makes quite a bit of sense but I wonder. Would it work if the right names were used and get a standardized language to define things.

I am betting that people use the (CMS) from vB in a variety of ways. I only use it as an article system.

Perhaps it will be ok to have a simple article system and call it that. Those who want something more robust would later get something else.

perhaps an article system is with in reason for the after market Code Monkeys to provide to us for those no needing something quite so robust.

These two goals cancel each other out:

Read the forums vs. develop software

It is very easy to lose a lot of time browsing the forums. The best outcome would be for you to see Kier & Mike only posting during one short block of the day.

Especially if the forums are hard to walk away from; fun new toys that work very very well.

I agree.

It is fantastic that they are interacting with us but this has to be eating up a ton of their time.

Being out here is killing my time.

Mine too! My GOD... it is again 03:00 o' clock in the bl**dy morning overhere in The Netherlands! I wanted to go to bed early, but xenForo is soooo addictive! Imagine what it does to our users/members, if this already works like glue on us administrators! I am really so excited. Hopefully the days of Internet Brands' vBulletin are soon over...

Luckily for me I have nothing much to do today, as the interns I'm in charge of are still working on a task set yesterday.

I want CMS myself, but I totally agree it's right to launch with the forum only first, so people can start moving over and XenForo can actually start seeing some cashflow.

If, as I understand, only Mike & Kier are working on this they need more time before adding CMS and a decent calendar, but I'll struggle with the waiting as I am so keen on making a move myself.

To get me to switch immediately, it would have to have some type of CMS system or bridge that gave me the ability to use something else. While I don't regret kicking vB to the curb, our existing solution doesn't meet our needs and any replacement MUST do so. Tired of playing code monkey to get things working the way I want it to work.

With a CMS i move my forums over immediately :) Have been browsing this new forum the last couple of minutes and I must say I love it.

I am so sick of vB 4 and all its bugs and I am dying for a solution/alternative. Seems that its here now! Keep up the great work guys!

I help run and maintain a large site - having a platform that's extensible and not bloated is of high priority. We do not need a CMS, an article system, nor a blog system. All we want is a powerful platform that runs an equally powerful forum application.

I agree.

It is fantastic that they are interacting with us but this has to be eating up a ton of their time.

It should be 80% planning and research and 20% execution especially at the start. Kier/Mike's time is well spent getting a feel on what potential customers want in xenforo :D

I help run and maintain a large site - having a platform that's extensible and not bloated is of high priority. We do not need a CMS, an article system, nor a blog system. All we want is a powerful platform that runs an equally powerful forum application.

Currently i use wordpress as a stand alone front end to my vB 3.8.x forum can't be bother with a bridge etc so xenforo as standalone should be okay. A nice bridge system would be nice especially if it's done through magic of Kier/Mike's hands hehe.

Currently i use wordpress as a stand alone front end to my vB 3.8.x forum can't be bother with a bridge etc so xenforo as standalone should be okay. A nice bridge system would be nice especially if it's done through magic of Kier/Mike's hands hehe.
How well does that work for you, (meaning, using WordPress as standalone instead of bridge)? I'm thinking about doing the same thing with my 3.8 sites.

Top Bottom