Resource icon

iPhone / iPad Home Screen Icons 1.0

No permission to download

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
Yorick submitted a new resource:

iPhone / iPad Home Screen Icons (version 1.0) - Solution to a small problem

So, on Apple iOS devices such as the iPhone and iPad from Safari you can add an icon to your favourite websites to the Home screen.

Let's look at XenForo.com purely as an example. I come here regularly so I've added it to my Home Screen on my iPhone.

By default, the icon is created from a quick screenshot of the page and it updates usually every time the page is accessed. Another option is to have a URL to a suitable icon coded into the page. By default XenForo doesn't include this so it...

Read more about this resource...

I have both a iPod Touch and an Android phone so I will be able to test this addon.

Customizing the icons right now though. http://www.quirco.com/iPhoneIcon/

Android and Windows 7 PC Browser Test with Firefox and Chrome

Alright it's not working on my Samsung Infuse 4G Android device. When I bookmark the site as a shortcut on my home screen it uses the regular favicon of my website.
favicon.ico
When viewing the site's mobile theme on Firefox or Chrome it also only shows the original favicon. The new mobile iphone home screen icon does not show on the android even after clearing the iphone browser cache and cookies.

This is the one I created. It only shows as a firefox fav icon when viewing the site in a normal theme but does not show it as the favicon in Google Chrome even after clearing the entire browser cache.

xf_icon_144.webp

iPod Touch and Mac OSX Lion Test With Safari

It's not showing up in either the iPod Touch home screen or Mac OS X Lion Safari browser as a favicon.

How do I add a bookmark as a desktop icon in Mac OS X?

I'll see if I can check out out on an Android device, but it should definitely work on iPod.

It works on my iPhone:

Photo 1 (1).webp

It isn't supposed to work on Chrome or Firefox for Windows or for Safari on a Mac, so that's expected.

As for Android: Let me see if there's specific instructions...

I'll see if I can check out out on an Android device, but it should definitely work on iPod.

It works on my iPhone:

View attachment 30043

It isn't supposed to work on Chrome or Firefox for Windows or for Safari on a Mac, so that's expected.

As for Android: Let me see if there's specific instructions...
Wait a minute. Let's look at a few things. First, isn't it true that "all Mobile Browsers" for iOS & Android (not Windows phones) use 'Safari'? So then technically if this is true then it should work on all mobile devices.

Yorick updated iPhone / iPad Home Screen Icons with a new update entry:

Confirmed: This add on should also provide a nice mobile icon for Android users too.

NOTE: This update is for instructional purposes only. You do not need to redownload or reinstall the add-on.

I have created this update just to confirm that this add on does indeed create a mobile icon that appears when people add a shortcut to your site on their Android device.

DISCLAIMER: This has been tested on the Android 2.2, 3.0 and 4.0 SDK. Due to the nature of the Android software, although I can confirm these icons will work on the stock installs of these Android...

Read the rest of this update entry...

I have both a iPod Touch and an Android phone so I will be able to test this addon.

Customizing the icons right now though. http://www.quirco.com/iPhoneIcon/

Android and Windows 7 PC Browser Test with Firefox and Chrome

Alright it's not working on my Samsung Infuse 4G Android device. When I bookmark the site as a shortcut on my home screen it uses the regular favicon of my website.
favicon.ico
When viewing the site's mobile theme on Firefox or Chrome it also only shows the original favicon. The new mobile iphone home screen icon does not show on the android even after clearing the iphone browser cache and cookies.

This is the one I created. It only shows as a firefox fav icon when viewing the site in a normal theme but does not show it as the favicon in Google Chrome even after clearing the entire browser cache.

View attachment 30035
8thos it definitely works on Android.

But it all depends on how Samsung have modified your device. On a stock installation of Android 2.2, 3.0 and 4.0 adding your site to the home screen does indeed add it with your icons. Unfortunately, if Samsung have removed that feature from your phone then there's nothing we can do about it.

Ensure you're creating the Bookmark with your default Android browser (so not Opera, Chrome or any other) and then tap and hold on the homescreen and select Bookmark. It definitely works with my testing, if it doesn't then it's something Samsung have done.

As for the iPod Touch. I see no reason at all why this doesn't work. I don't have an iPod touch at all but there is definitely nothing that would prevent it happening on any Apple device.

My admin says it works for her. Don't know why it ain't working for me.

I put the icon in my footer with a description anyway so hopefully it will work for others.

homescreenicon.jpg

Yes... I'm not sure of your point, though...
The addon didn't work for my iPod Touch when I had it. I'll probably use that link later. Still using yours ATM. Not for the actual bookmark home screen icons though. Guess what else your addon does cool?

Top Bottom