IPB 3.2 - Early Beta Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have removed the post markers completely, and now rely on read posts being shown as "read" by being a different colour background, and no longer bold.. rather than a graphical representation, so the legend would be un-necessary now :)
Yeah, now that I've seen it, I get how it works, but I still think it's a bit of a step backward, as it now gives you less information about the topic than before.

Though clicking on it takes you to a profile page, which I didn't like. I prefer semitransparent pop-up here.

Agree. I like the Member card. Genius feature.

But yes, i'm agree with you. Maybe for a big forum can be a extra load...

Ok. To me IPB 3.2 looks boxy and bulky. Visually it's not as smooth, natural and personal as XenForo. I see board, but I don't see myself as part of it. And no pop-up user info page. To look up a user you have to leave the page you are on. :eek:

View attachment 14556

View attachment 14559

View attachment 14557

View attachment 14560

View attachment 14562

What's funny is try doing this! Go visit the new preview site first, then go visit the IPS forums using the old style and tell me which you think looks best?

Boxy and bulky? It's a default skin that hasn't even been finalized. I don't recall any forum company making a default skin that ever felt personal or visually impressive, not a single one.

Boxy and bulky? It's a default skin that hasn't even been finalized. I don't recall any forum company making a default skin that ever felt personal or visually impressive, not a single one.
I like the default skin for xenforo 1.x :)
and when vBulletin 3 was released ... I liked it (abeit boxy and bulky).

Q: How would people describe the mood of the developers over at IPB ? Are the needed forum addons and tweaks being made and released ?

It's pretty nice, has a more elegant and refined look than XenForo in my opinion, but I wouldn't say it was a better look. Just a different look. Anyway, the default skin isn't usually kept so it doesn't really matter.

Functionality wise it seems to have some nice touches and appears to massively improve how a lot of IPB features were implemented, but as some have pointed out things like the lack of a member card seems a bit of a step back. It's certainly very nice and I think it's great to see two very competitive products as it can only help to spur both on to improve.

Well, now that I've had the chance to use it for a few hours, I really like it. Clearly inspired by XenForo, but hey, that's not a bad thing. The only problem in that by being inspired by XenForo, they also took away some things I found useful (like online/offline status being on the topic view). These are things that can easily be added in manually, but I think it would have been a good opportunity to emulate the XF style while also remedying some things that I perceive as shortcomings.

Not to mention different people like different things. I actually like the "boxy" look of IPB. When I use Windows, I still like the Windows Classic theme, specifically because of it's "boxy" look.

I rarely use member cards.
It's not a feature I would actively look for in forum software.
What aspects of the Member Card do you find so important ?

It's not something I would see as important particularly, just something that on XenForo can be useful as it allows a quick view of someones info without having to leave the page. The pop-up effect though has the downside that it can feel a bit slow sometimes and I find that quite annoying when I want to go to the persons profile quickly rather than wait around for the pop-up to load, and then click on the name there to reach the profile.

Again it doesn't normally feel slow, but it can do and overall it's useful but not essential.

Xenforo innovates, other forum products get inspired. #Fact It's right there before your very eyes. :D
I disagree with this, actually. Kier and Mike are only two people and thus they are always going to miss something that others will see. Thus, there are things that IPB and vB could pioneer that XF later adopts, and vice versa.

As heavily inspired by XF as IPB 3.2 might be, the opposite is true, as well: I don't think we'd have XenForo today were it not for vB and IPB innovating features years ago.

Invision's look has always been boxy and bulky.. it's almost their signature lol. I recall comparing one version to the old square Volvo styling :giggle:

This version is better than previous as it draws very heavily on other products that have better UX and have spent a lot of time on research and development ... but it is still very squared off and boxy.

The makers of Skins will still be doing a roaring trade in replacements I am sure.

I disagree with this, actually. Kier and Mike are only two people and thus they are always going to miss something that others will see. Thus, there are things that IPB and vB could pioneer that XF later adopts, and vice versa.

As heavily inspired by XF as IPB 3.2 might be, the opposite is true, as well: I don't think we'd have XenForo today were it not for vB and IPB innovating features years ago.

Don't forget kier and mike have been around just as long as ipb have been around. I'll still stand by my comment, and most certainly state it as fact so let's hit the ball back in your court. What on xenforo resembles IPB? that xenforo become inspired into implementing?

So, it's your "fact" that only XenForo is capable of innovation and new features? I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

So, it's your "fact" that only XenForo is capable of innovation and new features? I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
XenForo takes more from Facebook and Twitter for most of its innovation, and handles like vB3 does. Really, nothing I can see is inspired by IPB, but I might have missed something.

hmmm you never replied back to my question. :( that's understandable, it's seldom people like to explain what they mean and would rather be vague.

Nope, your taking the whole xenforo is only capable of innovative feature implementation out of context. Of course they are not, but I'm finding hard to locate any innovative feature implementation on other products that I could consider drooling, almost swooning on the borderline of mouth watering material that warrants your tongue rolling out of your mouth and hitting the floor resulting in these celebrities coming along and mistaking your tongue as the red carpet .

You owe me two responses Quillz. :p

Q: How would people describe the mood of the developers over at IPB ? Are the needed forum addons and tweaks being made and released ?

The mood? There's quite a lot of add-ons and modifications being released and maintained. However I will say that since xenForo has a closer knit smaller community, the requests of add-ons are more likely to be fulfilled here for free (although there may be premium option made by the dev) than over at IPB. In terms of the relationship between devs and regular users like me, xF is better because as I said before, we've got a very close knit community here instead of a massive one. If you need something, it's very likely it already exists for IPB but it has been around much longer than xF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom