IPB 3.2 - Early Beta Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never understood why people wanted buttons (images), instead of hyperlinks.
Sites loadslower with images.
The "image buttons" for actions like quote, reply, edit and so on were one of the dumbest things ever in web development, because there is no easy way to localize them without editing the images.

Good to see them being replaced by either simple links or css based buttons.

The "image buttons" for actions like quote, reply, edit and so on were one of the dumbest things ever in web development, because there is no easy way to localize them without editing the images.

Good to see them being replaced by either simple links or css based buttons.

Good point, but I must disagree. On a developer standpoint, for those who know what they're doing, yes CSS Based buttons or simple hyperlinks would work wonders. However, most forum software customers aren't extremely savvy with coding languages, and would much prefer to open up PhotoShop, or paint, and design their own button and simply overwrite the old image file to have their new button viewable the way they want it.

I've been on both ends before. I prefer CSS based icons today, but it's a hell of a lot easier to get a graphically detailed button designed in photoshop then it is to try and imitate that button through pure coding.

IPB always follows other board platforms available on the net.
I have never seen IPB come up with anything of their own, new or innovative ideas on their own.

I know what you mean by that, funny how you could say IPB 3.2 looks very similar in theme colour to XenForo, they've jumped on the LIKE button feature idea as well. Also, did anyone else notice things look a lot more sparse in posts too, some unneeded bloat removed. Hmm!

That said, remember they have created numerous add-ons like the "Gallery, Nexus, Blog, Download Manager". Which they've had long before other forum software, so you can't say they don't create anything themselves and just copy stuff from other boards. They had Gallery and Blog way back in IPB 2 days.

You can't blame IPB really doing it to try and keep the edge over XenForo and other community software. They've looked at XenForo strongest points and put them in IPB 3.2.

Good point, but I must disagree. On a developer standpoint, for those who know what they're doing, yes CSS Based buttons or simple hyperlinks would work wonders. However, most forum software customers aren't extremely savvy with coding languages, and would much prefer to open up PhotoShop, or paint, and design their own button and simply overwrite the old image file to have their new button viewable the way they want it.
The thing is - you don't have to mess with buttons if they are not image based when you have to use a localized forum theme. The language pack will deal with it.
I've been on both ends before. I prefer CSS based icons today, but it's a hell of a lot easier to get a graphically detailed button designed in photoshop then it is to try and imitate that button through pure coding.
It's not. You need skills for both methods - just different skills.

Ask anyone who had to deal with localized forum themes in the past and they will tell you what they think about image buttons. Certainly no good things.

I know what you mean by that, funny how you could say IPB 3.2 looks very similar in theme colour to XenForo, they've jumped on the LIKE button feature idea as well. Also, did anyone else notice things look a lot more sparse in posts too, some unneeded bloat removed. Hmm!

That said, remember they have created numerous add-ons like the "Gallery, Nexus, Blog, Download Manager". Which they've had long before other forum software, so you can't say they don't create anything themselves and just copy stuff from other boards. They had Gallery and Blog way back in IPB 2 days.

You can't blame IPB really doing it to try and keep the edge over XenForo and other community software. They've looked at XenForo strongest points and put them in IPB 3.2.
I might be wrong, but I could of sworn phpBB had a Photo Album & Gallery and Blogs that could integrate with livejournal and Xanga. way before IPB.

Anyways regardless, I remember installing those Add-ons and playing with them before IPB made them publically available in their store.

No probably, It's definitely better than vb4 to the point it would be a crime to even compare them both.

Another thing I like about IPB 3.2 and suggested this via a tweet months ago is the removal of the threadmarker legend. They did both so that gets a mega thumbsup from me. They are heading in the right direction, Matt and charles treat their customers well which is something I don't think anyone can argue with.

Funny you tried to criticise me for making an IPB comparison.

I think IPB3.2 looks and feels excellent. Like many other people here I can't help feeling a lot of the move towards less clutter and a cleaner experience is borrowed from XenForo. I get the sense of a big shake-up now with forum software which XenForo has started, this competition can only be a good thing.

Not a good day over at vB because they only have to make a small mistake and the stored up resentment of their customer and ex-customer base comes back to haunt them. Plus a serious spate of hacked vb3.x forums and no-one knows why yet (suspected Advanced rules add on).

Stating the blindingly obvious again, but I feel the pressure is on XenForo now to get a more robust set of features rolled out quickly - especially for moderation and user management, plus custom fields etc - ideally before IPB3.2 is gold.

I think IPB3.2 looks and feels excellent. Like many other people here I can't help feeling a lot of the move towards less clutter and a cleaner experience is borrowed from XenForo. I get the sense of a big shake-up now with forum software which XenForo has started, this competition can only be a good thing.

Not a good day over at vB because they only have to make a small mistake and the stored up resentment of their customer and ex-customer base comes back to haunt them. Plus a serious spate of hacked vb3.x forums and no-one knows why yet (suspected Advanced rules add on).

Stating the blindingly obvious again, but I feel the pressure is on XenForo now to get a more robust set of features rolled out quickly - especially for moderation and user management, plus custom fields etc - ideally before IPB3.2 is gold.
xenForo could respond after IPB 3.2 is released. I do not understand the rush for a xenForo release.

No pressure on XenForo what-so-ever. At the moment, I would let the competition roll out the previews and see what they have. Gives K&M ample time to develop, refine and release any changes upcoming with 1.1. As it has been stated in a few threads, we will see quite a few maintanence releases before 1.1. So I would love for them to take their time and make 1.1 a monster of a release that leaves the competition like o_O.

xenForo could respond after IPB 3.2 is released. I do not understand the rush for a xenForo release.

Everyone is in a different position Fufu. If you are already a licence holder then there is no rush :) If on the other hand like me you are a vb3.x forum owner ready and waiting to migrate to an alternative platform, and the best solution is either IPB3.2 or an updated XenForo, then there is a rush.

I would also argue that commercially, there is always a rush to be the first to bring a new or updated product to market.

Everyone is in a different position Fufu. If you are already a licence holder then there is no rush :) If on the other hand like me you are a vb3.x forum owner ready and waiting to migrate to an alternative platform, and the best solution is either IPB3.2 or an updated XenForo, then there is a rush.

I would also argue that commercially, there is always a rush to be the first to bring a new or updated product to market.

Of course this is all based on perspective, BUT...I wouldn't want a rushed product. Would you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom