1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IPB 3.2 - Early Beta Preview

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kim, May 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

http://internal32.invisionpower.com/

Monumental improvement on the clunky chunky jackbooting 3.1 series.... lots of new toys... and lots of new slimmed down design features.... Many of which look ...erm...somewhat familiar ;)

Wonderful to see how a little genuine competition can lift the bar so much, 3.2 is going to be a very popular version I am sure, which should add another nail in the coffin of the tired old software that has for a number of years misguidedly been touting it's self as the "leading" forum software.

Tomble likes this.
  2. Wuebit

Wuebit Well-Known Member

IPB what?? sorry all I hear now is xenforo :3

Vettexl, Shelley and Kim like this.
  3. mrGTB

mrGTB Well-Known Member

Been using the site earlier today, I've got mixed views about it. I'm not blown away by what I've seen, but I do think the CKEditor is miles better than the TinyMCE used here. Also, it would suit XenForo a lot better style wise because it looks more modern and actually would blend in very well with the more modern look XenForo has, very unlike how TinyMCE does here and kind of spoils things I'd say.

4. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

It does look awfully familiar I'll be honest. But I'll give them that they have definitely improved and made it more slim lined. There's still tons (especially in the usercp, amongst other areas) that takes many clicks to accomplish an action where on xenforo it's one click and done. With regards to the other touting they are leaders, i think with ipb making good progress and xenforo leading the way in innovating forum software they're days are truly numbered.

edit: And they removed the threadmarkers/legend. That was def welcomed.

5. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

LOL yeah I hear ya :p I adore my Xenforo.. and only have eyes for it!

Interesting though, this IPB version is such a significant improvement on the last one, which was imho horrible... it's nice to see.

Shelley and Vodkaholic like this.
  6. mrGTB

mrGTB Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more with you on that one, vBulletin really are getting left behind now because of the default style they use for vB4. Which still looks boxy, clunky and has that old look vB3 has. Style wise (not feature wise), vBulletin 4 is heading in the wrong direction and need to see that.

7. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

Don't lynch me, but I like it quite a bit.

Melaidhrin, AzzidReign and Kim like this.
  8. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

No lynchings from me... I agree it is quite nice.

;)

9. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

Now if they did a huge overhaul on the admincp I might consider using that perpetual license thats been collecting dust for many years now.

10. mrGTB

mrGTB Well-Known Member

They have a LIKE button, surprised nobody has brought that up.

mu2010 and krstep like this.
  11. GodForum.com

GodForum.com Well-Known Member

XF is the innovation leader ... the like system and trophy system are divine. :)

hellreturn and Kim like this.
  12. Shelley

Yeah, not so keen on the like placement in 3.2. I dunno, there's something about it maybe it's placement or some other issue I have with it but I prefer the like feature on xenforo.

AzzidReign and GodForum.com like this.
  13. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Indeed! :)

One thing I do like about the IPB 3.2 is the profile.. best I have seen yet I have to say, although the "wall" concept is of course a straight FB copy, but the neatness and UI is spot on in that area.

14. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

and attachment uploading :)

IPB 3.2 is probably better than vB4.
    But they both look like slow ugly ducklings vs the sexy xenforo.
    IPB never attracted a developer following either.

kyrgyz likes this.
  15. GodForum.com

GodForum.com Well-Known Member

I think the best developers will all convert to the XF religion :)

Kim likes this.
  16. Quillz

Quillz Well-Known Member

I think it's great. IPB is a really good BBS and will only cause vB and XF to improve, as well.

Shaun Wallace and Kim like this.
  17. Shelley

No probably, It's definitely better than vb4 to the point it would be a crime to even compare them both.

Another thing I like about IPB 3.2 and suggested this via a tweet months ago is the removal of the threadmarker legend. They did both so that gets a mega thumbsup from me. They are heading in the right direction, Matt and charles treat their customers well which is something I don't think anyone can argue with.

AzzidReign, Kim and GodForum.com like this.
  18. Johnny Large

Johnny Large New Member

It also looks like the skins for 3.2 will be easier to customize. For me at least it was a pain to work with 3.1 skins :confused:

19. mrGTB

mrGTB Well-Known Member

Have you seen the members list in IPB 3.2. I did like how the A,B,C letters are positioned like phone book tabs down the left side. That looked pretty neat.

20. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Do you have to reg a new account or can you login with your regular IPB account?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.