IPB 3.2 - Early Beta Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh, that's why they wouldn't let me in.
Thanks.

This community is currently offline.

The first day of the IP.Board 3.2 preview has been a great success. We thank you all for your feedback!

The IP.Board 3.2 preview will be offline for several hours this evening and will return later tomorrow.

Thank you again for a great first day of the preview!

No big deal, I can wait to see it. It's not like I have any plans to jump into IPB again since switching to xF.

Matt and charles treat their customers well which is something I don't think anyone can argue with.

In my experience of over 8 years in IPB circles, I can agree that your statement applies to at least half of those mentioned ;)

Matt is a gentleman and a scholar...I like Matt and have only ever had very positive dealings with him.
And don't forget Lindy in any mention of IPB Management, he is like Matt, another charming man who does go out of his way to offer exemplary Customer Service.

Don't kill me, but I hope the new IPB is a great success. Competition will only make Xenforo a better product. ;)

IPB already is a huge success ;) But yeah, this new version is going to see some significant changes in the the playing field for Commercial Forum Software.

Xenforo has already made huge inroads, and great innovations, that are rapidly being knocked off by other players in the market, I love that xenforo sprang from no where and shook the whole game up!!! Even if I do wish that there were others who also innovated rather than just copying. Innovative, Sexy, Modern, Great community... already wonderful Developer Community.

IPB on top of it's existing large customer base, had already picked up a big swathe of ex vB users who were disillusioned.. that will only increase with this new version as it not only looks good, but it has all the big add-on's that people are often looking for, and it is mature software with a good reputation in the marketplace for support. Solid Product, Good Reputation, Can be difficult to use, almost too technical often.

vB looks and acts ... so old so tired so out of date that even those desperados still clinging to the ridiculous notion that 10 year old software cobbled together and patched up is somehow better than state of the art software are surely going to HAVE to change their thinking. Appalling Customer Service, Shocking Management tactics, Horrible product... how can it possibly compete I wonder... it staggers me that they are still selling ANY copies.

vB looks and acts ... so old so tired so out of date that even those desperados still clinging to the ridiculous notion that 10 year old software cobbled together and patched up is somehow better than state of the art software are surely going to HAVE to change their thinking. Appalling Customer Service, Shocking Management tactics, Horrible product... how can it possibly compete I wonder... it staggers me that they are still selling ANY copies.
I don't know for some reason it's hard to read these sentences about vB, especially coming from exIPBers. I have fond memories of vB's glory days. There was a real vibrant community there. vB3 is still close to my heart. Oh.., well, I'll just quit reading this thread.

As an active IPB license holder, the steps that IPS are taking to improve pleases me greatly. I think many of us have had enough of IPB vs xF and such threads, what I'm seeing is something great from IPB and xF, both are innovating each other and as a result they are improving their software at great speeds. As a customer of both services, this is a clear win for me - the consumer. WINNING. (Had to do it)

PS: Now... I'd just like to get my hands on the ACP... which I will when we beta testers get the Beta.

I don't know for some reason today it's hard to read these sentences about vB, especially coming from exIPBers. I have fond memories of vB's glory days. There was a really vibrant community there. vB3 is still close to my heart. Oh.., well, I'll just quit reading this thread.

God knows why I am bothering... but...

Some of us never knew the so called "glory days" but that is not to say we cannot be objective observers of the sad sad state of the once great surely.

I am not a one eyed IPBer, I started in forums some 9 - 10 years ago and when it came time to buy software I headed straight for the vB stands and grabbed me a copy of 2. something, which was great for a long time, but it was hard to work with to modify, I never liked the styles system, and the Customer Service even then went from good to very poor, very quickly, after being insulted by both official staff and the posse of wannabe's that answered every forum post with "use the search" or "You n00b" or similar intelligent answers we decided to look elsewhere, at that time I can assure you the Community was anything but vibrant... it was a horrid Troll filled wasteland for me anyway.

IPB came along at the same time we were disillusioned with vB and it was so fresh, especially their attitude to customers, and seemed to have a very techy and very cool and helpful atmosphere, less of the trolls and more of the spirit of adventure and revolution that we see here now with XF, support questions would be answered correctly and intelligently within minutes... it was at that time a free product, but even so we bought a license and never looked back, 1.1 - 1.3 was a lot of fun, then they had the huge debarcle with going from Free (Matt had repeatedly said there would always be a free version) to Paid, there was a huge stink about it, and they lost a lot of support and love then.

2.0 was a stinker of a version, never liked it... 2.1 - 2.3 were great and very stable, around for a few years so a lot of Skinners and Modders built solid bodies of work.

3.0 was supposed to be revolutionary, it was a total change, but not necessarily for the better, and less than 12 months later 3.1 came about, which was even worse.. the product was now enormous, doing skins or mods was a PITA due to both the size of the product and because they kept doing "upgrades" which often meant major changes even to minor point releases.. thus creating an environment of dissatisfaction from the long term customers who dislike change and upheaval constantly, and skinners and modders who found that they were on an endless cycle of upgrade/new release/upgrade/new release thus never being able to actually do anything new, only constantly re-hashing their previous work.

I have had a vB license for a long time now, so was always vaguely aware of the product, but not to the point of wanting to use it.... when Internet Brands purchased Jelsoft, and they announced the whole changes to the pricing model, I could see there was going to be major trouble.... and there was, IPB was overrun with people bailling out of vB.

Given how brilliant Kier and Mike are, I have no doubt that there was a stage when vB was brilliant, and for those of you who loved it then, it must be hard to see the fall of the product... but even you have to admit that the "glory days" were a long time ago now.

Had IPB been bought by Internet Brands or a similar organisation, I would be the one waxing lyrical about IPB's glory days, as under Internet Brands, they would also now be slowly sinking into the abyss of their own crappy management making.

Fortunately for many IPB license holders, Internet Brands also thought vB was the best ;)

Can I also take this opportunity to add....

I ♥ Xenforo, I ♥ Xenforo,

this is not a product x versus product v versus product i thread.. it is just having a look at the new IPB version beta, and commenting thereon.

Another thing I like about IPB 3.2 and suggested this via a tweet months ago is the removal of the threadmarker legend.
If it's what I'm thinking of, why remove it? Seems it would be useful for people who aren't aware of what various icons mean.

If it's what I'm thinking of, why remove it? Seems it would be useful for people who aren't aware of what various icons mean.

They have removed the post markers completely, and now rely on read posts being shown as "read" by being a different colour background, and no longer bold.. rather than a graphical representation, so the legend would be un-necessary now :)

I'm looking forward to seeing the new IPB 3.2 in action but the board is currently down now but the page says it will be back later :eek:

They have a LIKE button, surprised nobody has brought that up.
IPB 3.2 does not have a +1 button yet!
ali_034.gif

First forum software I've ever used was Ikonboard (yes, the predecessor of IPB, designed by the same person) which was written in perl and was a nightmare to set up and work with for most, unless you were already a apache, unix and perl guru back in 2000. I had that running for about 2 or 3 years under a mod_perl environment (without mod_perl, it was painfully slow, being a huge cgi script) and I enjoyed it. By today's standards it was quite crude :)

It's still around, although it does not look very active and really dated now. But back in its days, it was great.

And here's a picture.. sorry my cache could only recover this one image, but it does show the lack of icons and the colour change on "read"

ipb3.2_topicview.png

View attachment 14539
And here's a picture.. sorry my cache could only recover this one image, but it does show the lack of icons and the colour change on "read"
I never understood why people wanted buttons (images), instead of hyperlinks.
Sites loadslower with images.
However, I am glad IPB is starting to see the light of truth.
ali_092.gif

Wow, it looks really solid.

Did they ever fix that gobal attachment asset manager thingy?

Not sure Shelby, it is only a very early beta that they were showing, without the Gallery etc.

It does feel solid and very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom