IPB 3.2 - Early Beta Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like it realy,

It "feels" heavy and like they have tried to copy features from xenforo, yet haven't quite got it right.

Could someone clarify this for me?

Is it not IPB 3.x series IPB's "refractor" process to IPB code set?
Ultimately they are leading to a "refractored" core.

I really like their memberlist page. I've got a few suggestions though I'll post later regarding that. Another thing I do especially like is (if I read rikkis post correctly) the toggle sidebar is now admincp controlled which is another good move. I guess the features/layout structure I do like I'll post and give credit where it's due. (y)

Ok. To me IPB 3.2 looks boxy and bulky. Visually it's not as smooth, natural and personal as XenForo. I see board, but I don't see myself as part of it. And no pop-up user info page. To look up a user you have to leave the page you are on. :eek:
I like boxy design. I don't like bulky, though.

Looks like a better and overall improvement over the previous IPB versions that I've seen.

Have to ask, what new features or functionality has Mecham introduced that isn't already available at competitor products, (though I can't think of another forum product right at the moment)? Huge step forward for IPB and congrats for those guys seeing the writing on the wall, get back to us when you have something innovative however.

I feel sorry for the IPS skinning community, oh wait I don't, but another major upgrade for those folk to get all hot and bothered about.

What's funny is try doing this! Go visit the new preview site first, then go visit the IPS forums using the old style and tell me which you think looks best?

The old one is heavier. It feels like somebody tied 55 pounds of iron to it before throwing it to the bottom of the sea. The new one looks like the oldie that's undergone liposuction procedure and then been touched by Kier's magic wand tool. I like IPB 3.2 better. Judge for yourself: Old vs New

ipsold.webp

ips1.webp

Honestly,

IPB I think has the most potential between Xen, Vb, and IPB. In their current situation Vb is a dog, set on code that is badly managed at this point and being mangled as time goes on. Xen is perhaps the best forums, but is bogged down in lawsuits and burdened with the difficulties of a ultra small startup and likely unable to offer 1st party addons in the time that IPB is going to be able to iterate their existing addons to mimic the feature de jour.

That said, I love what Xen has done so far. I just wish it wasn't saddled with weights it has now.

Honestly,

IPB I think has the most potential between Xen, Vb, and IPB. In their current situation Vb is a dog, set on code that is badly managed at this point and being mangled as time goes on. Xen is perhaps the best forums, but is bogged down in lawsuits and burdened with the difficulties of a ultra small startup and likely unable to offer 1st party addons in the time that IPB is going to be able to iterate their existing addons to mimic the feature de jour.

That said, I love what Xen has done so far. I just wish it wasn't saddled with weights it has now.
You're always free to go with IPB or vBulletin, not like anyones coercing you to keep an eye on XenForo. You've made it clear time and time again that it doesn't fit your needs, and you're dissatisfied with its direction :).

You're always free to go with IPB or vBulletin, not like anyones coercing you to keep an eye on XenForo. You've made it clear time and time again that it doesn't fit your needs, and you're dissatisfied with its direction :).

Now we are loyal customers but (i hope...) not childish fanboys, i don't like messages like yours. I don't see anything offensive or "ipb biased" in the message you quoted. I see anything bad in costrustive criticizism...

I rarely use member cards.It's not a feature I would actively look for in forum software.What aspects of the Member Card do you find so important ?

The fact that you can see the important info of a user without the need to abandon your forum page and you can have a very clean discussion area interface. The first time i see the xenforo software i'also thinked "no, this member card is useless, i prefer the ipb system", but now i think is a great idea. It's just question of habit, and your users will like it's
functionality.

Now we are loyal customers but (i hope...) not childish fanboys, i don't like messages like yours. I don't see anything offensive or "ipb biased" in the message you quoted. I see anything bad in costrustive criticizism...

The fact that you can see the important info of a user without the need to abandon your forum page and you can have a very clean discussion area interface. The first time i see the xenforo software i'also thinked "no, this member card is useless, i prefer the ipb system", but now i think is a great idea. It's just question of habit, and your users will like it's
functionality.
The post was directed at no one else but Shelby due to how he has posted in the past, and wasn't meant as criticism of any other person. If you read his older posts you can see why I said that to him, as many of his posts have been little more than digs at XenForo. And it wasn't a fanboyish post, I'll admit flaws that XenForo has, and I'll admit strengths that other platforms have over it. I do not think its the end all solution to forums, only that it is the best solution I've seen yet and has the most potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom