iOS 7

^ Of course. They can't talk about what they don't understand (none of them being developers).

However, it will be interesting to see what developers have ready for this fall and how they take advantage of the new API's available.

^ Of course. They can't talk about what they don't understand (none of them being developers).

However, it will be interesting to see what developers have ready for this fall and how they take advantage of the new API's available.

I tend to follow Ars Technica who do excellent technical reviews and articles. However, I wouldn't be surprised if some of these writers do understand, but the general population doesn't care, so why write it?

^ Well, I don't think the general population cares about how many shaders a gaming video card has or how many how many bits wide the memory interface is, but they sure seem to like to spend a lot of time on those topics. ;)

For me I'm very interested in the SDK as Apple seems to have made some significant changes. Whether or not they are all improvements we'll have to wait and see.

The general public only cares about easily falsified or exaggerated "techie specs," like GHz, megapixels, etc. You know, the things that people assume are the only factors in performance. (One of the reasons why the Pentium 4 sold so well despite being far inferior to other options at the time.)

The general public only cares about easily falsified or exaggerated "techie specs," like GHz, megapixels, etc. You know, the things that people assume are the only factors in performance. (One of the reasons why the Pentium 4 sold so well despite being far inferior to other options at the time.)

"My computers got a 3Ghz Pentium 4...you've only got an Intel i3 1.8Ghz - mines better" :LOL: hehe.

What you say is very true. People still dont 'get' that the specs listed rarely mean anything at all.

Thanks for reminding me. Our computers in the shop are all old Pentium 4's at 3 GHz on XP that the company doesn't bother to upgrade since they don't get used much. I ran some browser bechmarks and my iPhone 5 is several times faster at browsing than these POS machines are. Pathetic whan a smartphone can outperform a PC, even an older PC.

"My computers got a 3Ghz Pentium 4...you've only got an Intel i3 1.8Ghz - mines better" :LOL: hehe.

What you say is very true. People still dont 'get' that the specs listed rarely mean anything at all.

So many people I know say things exactly like that. "My new computer sucks, it has an i7 @ 2.8 GHz, while my old computer was running at 3.6 GHz!" (Their old processor was a P4.)

Doesn't matter that the lithography has gone from 130 nm to 22 nm and instead of having 1 hyper-threading core, it now has 8 or more.

Is anyone else disturbed by how inhuman iOS7 looks? They removed all elements that make a UI human and replaced it with a robotic experience copied after the clusterfark known as Windows 8. The problem is that Jony Ive has never done UI design for a day in his life. He tried to replicate his hardware genius, but completely different rules apply in UI design, and I think iOS7 is a humongous flop, that goes totally contrary to the values of deep humanism Steve Jobs explicitly taught in his keynotes, and built into all Apple products.

If shadows and reflections are wrong, then OSX, with its beautiful humanism, has been wrong since SJ championed it from day 1 of his return, and we are supposed to think that Apple was 'wrong' all this time and the robotic inhumanity of Steve Ballmer's Win8 is right? (n)

Last edited:
I personally like the look of iOS 7. It took me about 2 weeks to get over the initial shell shock, but now I find it weird using an iOS 6 or lower device.

I haven't used iOS 7 since Beta fish due to vacation and stuff but initially I was on the fence. I guess I'll just have to see with the latest version when I get back.

"Initial Shock" is a perfectly acceptable phrase to use in relationship to any product. iOS had an "initial shock" when it first came out too.

To be fair to Apple, the screenshots around really don't help - its been polished a lot in recent betas. In all honestly I was a bit concerned with the first few beta releases, text clarity was terrible, there were odd colors, etc. But for the most part its actually pretty much done now and is way better.

It may be a bit of a shock going from iOS6 to iOS7 for the first time, but nowhere near as much of a shock as it was going from iOS6 to iOS7 BETA 1.

Don't worry about it - its nowhere near as bad as the media are hyping it to be. Everything is laid out so much better within apps, and the clarity is now as good as, if not better than iOS 6. My only dislike is the view of folders when you are inside of them. They look a bit unfinished, but then given we're still in BETA they probably are.

There are one or two icons that look like they need a bit of work (mainly Voice Memos, Compass and Stocks), and a few that need replacing (What the hell is Game Center supposed to be?!) but personally I couldn't care less about the icons.

To be fair to Apple, the screenshots around really don't help - its been polished a lot in recent betas. In all honestly I was a bit concerned with the first few beta releases, text clarity was terrible, there were odd colors, etc. But for the most part its actually pretty much done now and is way better.

It may be a bit of a shock going from iOS6 to iOS7 for the first time, but nowhere near as much of a shock as it was going from iOS6 to iOS7 BETA 1.

Don't worry about it - its nowhere near as bad as the media are hyping it to be. Everything is laid out so much better within apps, and the clarity is now as good as, if not better than iOS 6. My only dislike is the view of folders when you are inside of them. They look a bit unfinished, but then given we're still in BETA they probably are.
Yeah, a few developer buddies were telling me how they've made a ton of tweaks and it's much better.

When was the last time any operating system, regardless of device, came with a manual? ;)
That's the apple effect. MP3 players came with thick manuals before the ipod. I remember the clunky windows mobile 6 and old blackberries that came with manuals before the phone revolution in 2007. The idea that the device is supposed to be intuitive is a Steve Jobs concept that others are struggling to reappropriate.

That's point 1. Point 2 is that regardless of usability, the UI has to reflect deeply held human desires and especially the way our eyes and minds work. That's the logic that puts shadows beneath layered objects. Who cares if the layered objects aren't 'really' on top of one another in the flat 2d display. Our eyes and minds think they are. We cannot distinguish them if there are no visual cues taken from the real world.

But to the new team, 'cues from the real world' is exemplified in the GameCenter having a felt background. So to excommunicate every shadow of Forstall's input (and consequently of Jobs, since he's the one who introduced shadows and reflections in the first place), the new Apple team comes to the task from a hard philosophical approach that shadows and reflections are 'frills' and 'decorations' . That an inhuman Windows 8 is honest and supposedly an ideal that everyone should imitate.

My Gripes:
  • Safari doesn't follow anchor tags (Why, Apple, why!?)

This is by far the single biggest reason why I will never purchase an iOS product again, unless by some miracle it's fixed before the release of iOS 7.

Anchor tags are used for the New Posts and also any link that goes directly to a post. On iOS these links take you to the incorrect post if there are inline images in the thread.

I hope everyone on the iOS beta testing will report this major bug.

Last edited:
I've stated it elsewhere, its not a bug. That gripe I mentioned was a legitimate bug where they were ignored, but that was fixed and they are perfectly functional. As I've stated elsewhere.

I've stated it elsewhere, its not a bug. That gripe I mentioned was a legitimate bug where they were ignored, but that was fixed and they are perfectly functional. As I've stated elsewhere.

I've had several members test this using iOS 7 beta 5 and the anchor bug is still present.

Top Bottom