iOS 7

I have the 2008 Mac Pro too - have to say I'm drooling at the new model, though I suspect the price will be fearsome, and I'm also concerned at having to have my massive storage (4 x 2TB drives) external to the main box, with all the cooling and noise implications that brings.

There is one big plus the new Mac Pro will have....no more razor sharp handles! Used to hate moving the pro around, weighed a ton and hurt like hell. I remember having to lug it across Brent Cross shopping center (it was the closest Applestore at the time) for a repair!

My tooth against Apple is: They sue everyone at the first "copying" attempt, yet they rip blatantly pretty much everything from other companies and expect everything to be OK. Even the OS is not theirs, they ripped that from FreeBSD.

My tooth against Samsung is they blatantly copy patented IP from others, knowing that by the time they get to court it'll be years and the devices that used the copied IP are no longer for sale. And the penalty you end up paying will be far less than the huge gains you made in market share and profits.

I have the 2008 Mac Pro too - have to say I'm drooling at the new model, though I suspect the price will be fearsome, and I'm also concerned at having to have my massive storage (4 x 2TB drives) external to the main box, with all the cooling and noise implications that brings.
My computer is about 100 meters from my desk/monitor/keyboard, so not that big of a worry for me.

The noise and heat of my current tower drove me so nuts that one day I snapped and put my computer down in my basement and ran fiber to there to run USB/video/audio back to my office. haha

Probably going to be a much simpler thing with the new machines since hopefully will just be able to run one of these cables and not have to deal with the transceivers at all. http://www.corning.com/CableSystems/OpticalCablesbyCorning/products/thunderbolt.aspx

I have the same concerns, but since my rig is a 2010 Mac Pro I'll aim for the second generation of the new design. My current one will last at least two years more, maybe even more. My 5 x 2TB drives internally will make a 'cluttersome' desk when that times come, though.

My tooth against Samsung is they blatantly copy patented IP from others, knowing that by the time they get to court it'll be years and the devices that used the copied IP are no longer for sale. And the penalty you end up paying will be far less than the huge gains you made in market share and profits.

Exactly!

First impression: that's Android.

That said, I still use an iPhone as my primary device/phone and glad to see some long overdue features make their way into iOS 7. I'll probably update a month or two after it drops.

Switched to it right after WWDC Press conference. Really enjoying it but there are 3 things bothering me:
  • Ugly icons (especially Safari and Mail), but they said that the design will change during betas;
  • Short battery life (as always in betas);
  • Headset controls not working, only Voice control or Siri.

Switched to it right after WWDC Press conference. Really enjoying it but there are 3 things bothering me:
  • Ugly icons (especially Safari and Mail), but they said that the design will change during betas;

My Gripes:
  • Safari doesn't follow anchor tags (Why, Apple, why!?)
  • Some ugly icons / extremely vibrant colors (Messages, looking at you)
  • Minor UI glitches (read on messages when the reply is long gets hidden, etc.)
  • Weather in "Today View" requires Location Services. (Again, why? It used to utilize your currently viewed Weather app if you didn't have location on. Why can't it be that?!)

• iMessage in this Beta is broken (you cannot activate it)
  • Personal Hotspot in this Beta out of order
  • Anchor tags don't work in Chrome either (hopefully also only in the current beta)
But overall it will be an optical and functional benefit to iPhone users.

iMessage is working just fine. There are several solutions in the developers forum about it (I haven't had issues personally).

My Gripes:
  • Safari doesn't follow anchor tags (Why, Apple, why!?)
  • Some ugly icons / extremely vibrant colors (Messages, looking at you)
  • Minor UI glitches (read on messages when the reply is long gets hidden, etc.)
  • Weather in "Today View" requires Location Services. (Again, why? It used to utilize your currently viewed Weather app if you didn't have location on. Why can't it be that?!)
Ehh… do you know that this is a Preview? :eek:

I'm tired of all the people criticizing iOS 7 when it's not released yet. This is a Developer Preview so they can start making apps for the new OS, but iOS 7 is months away from a release candidate. There will be many changes both to the UI and the functionality.

Ehh… do you know that this is a Preview?

It is neither a Preview nor an Alpha.
It is a Beta version and it works pretty well already. And also looks pretty good. ;-)
I am sure it will be even better, once released.

What I like very much is the Auto-Update of all the apps. Keeps the system current...

Ehh… do you know that this is a Preview? :eek:

I'm tired of all the people criticizing iOS 7 when it's not released yet. This is a Developer Preview so they can start making apps for the new OS, but iOS 7 is months away from a release candidate. There will be many changes both to the UI and the functionality.

Yes? I'm not complaining in the sense of "OMG, why is this broken?" The icons / colors is just a personal preference which I hardly notice. The other things are bugs I've found and reported. I fullw ell knew what I was doing when I installed it. Maybe "Gripes" was the wrong word.

Top Bottom