iOS 7

Will be downloading as soon as the dev site stops crapping out. Apple really do suck at online services.

Also for what it's worth, as dev's we're all under NDA - not even allowed to post screenshots.

Will be downloading as soon as the dev site stops crapping out. Apple really do suck at online services.
This... this is my issue. I just backed up my phone (which took less than I was expecting considering I have 238 free space)

It's not a gaming rig, its a rendering rig ;) Never understood why people assume the Mac Pro was designed for gaming. It's designed for professional media (e.g video editing, rendering, etc)

Understood, but I can still build or buy PC which can do professional media rendering for less. Or gaming, or insert X here. For a computer its usually overpriced.

Love the design of the new mac pro, but likely its going to cost enough to get me 2 - 4 normal gaming pc's
Have they said what the cost is going to be? The most expensive part of the Mac Pros has always been the CPU, which would be the same cost as if you put that CPU in a windows "gaming" machine. For example, the "current" Mac Pros have 2 Xeon X5670 CPUs... which run about $1,400 EACH... so right out of the gate you have $2,800 for the dual CPUs it uses.

Basically they are not gaming machines... they are using server-class CPUs.

So you are comparing apples to oranges unless your gaming machines are using the same CPUs at least.

I just had to put E5-2680 x16 CPUs into 8 servers, but yeah... I'm sure I could have gotten 32 complete gaming machines just for the price I paid for the 16 CPUs... but they aren't for gaming. :)

Understood, but I can still build or buy PC which can do professional media rendering for less. Or gaming, or insert X here. For a computer its usually overpriced.

Not really. You wont build a machine with 6 thunderbolt 2 ports built in - thats the sole purpose of the Mac Pro, along with gigabit write speeds.

Clearly people buy them or they wouldn't exist. Professionals dont really want to screw around with a home-build when they can buy something already kitted out, with good connectivity and a solid warranty. I'd love to see someone try and build a machine with equal specs to the new Mac Pro.

Have they said what the cost is going to be? The most expensive part of the Mac Pros has always been the CPU, which would be the same cost as if you put that CPU in a windows "gaming" machine. For example, the "current" Mac Pros have 2 Xeon X5670 CPUs... which run about $1,400 EACH... so right out of the gate you have $2,800 for the dual CPUs it uses.

Basically they are not gaming machines... they are using server-class CPUs.

So you are comparing apples to oranges unless your gaming machines are using the same CPUs at least.

I just had to put E5-2680 x16 CPUs into 8 servers, but yeah... I'm sure I could have gotten 32 complete gaming machines just for the price I paid for the 16 CPUs... but they aren't for gaming. :)
Not released any pricing, but I'd imagine 3K+ especially with the new features. The 40GB/s PCIe bandwidth will be blazing.

The Thunderbolt 2 ports will stick it up a fair bit too I'd have thought.

Not released any pricing, but I'd imagine 3K+ especially with the new features. The 40GB/s PCIe bandwidth will be blazing.

The Thunderbolt 2 ports will stick it up a fair bit too I'd have thought.
I bet they can get an entry level one under $2k since it looks like they are just using a single 12-core CPU.

I want an iMac, but can't bring myself to spend that much cash on a new computer, considering I only 18 months ago spent over £2000 on this machine.

Not really. You wont build a machine with 6 thunderbolt 2 ports built in - thats the sole purpose of the Mac Pro, along with gigabit write speeds.

Clearly people buy them or they wouldn't exist. Professionals dont really want to screw around with a home-build when they can buy something already kitted out, with good connectivity and a solid warranty. I'd love to see someone try and build a machine with equal specs to the new Mac Pro.

They'd probably sell more desktops if they added in the E3 series. The E5 series is probably overkill for many users. I'll probably build myself an E3 series or an AMD steamroller based workstation next.

Top Bottom