iOS 7

By the way I figured out that it was music app that ruined headset controls. So I installed Ecoute and everything works perfect now.

They demoed Mari on the Mac Pro at WWDC. The Foundry was given advanced access to the Pro for testing and in the words of Jack Greasley from The Foundry:

I can tell you that the speed and power of this machine really stands up. Mari running on this machine out of the box is the fastest I have ever seen it run.

The pro does look like it'll be beastly. The 6 Thunderbolt 2 ports will be the big thing for professionals, and I'd imagine we'll see support for 3rd party graphic card/PCI-e caddies and such. It is in a sense a modular mac given that you could (theoretically) plug in not only hard drives but anything that fits into a PCI-E slot (graphics cards, displays, raid cards, fiber cards, etc).

Sadly I cant really justify getting one anymore. Nobody really needs anything more than a MacBook Pro for web dev and app dev, especially now that you can have 4 monitors running off the same laptop with no lag, in addition to other thunderbolt bits and bobs.

While I know at first appearance and first glance Apple appears to have ripped off Android and Windows 8 Phone, I would have to say though a lot of the features being criticized for appears to originate from the Apple iOS Modding community or even the Apple App Store.

While I know at first appearance and first glance Apple appears to have ripped off Android and Windows 8 Phone, I would have to say though a lot of the features being criticized for appears to originate from the Apple iOS Modding community or even the Apple App Store.

The current design styles simply bring similar results. You cannot say it is a rip-off, because it has the same optical patterns. XenForo also looks very much like vB4 and others. And you know what happened to the last guys who said it was a rip-off. :D

I'm seriously not getting this iOS 7 -> Android thing. Features, easily get. UI? That strikes much more Windows Phone / Metro than android to me (and plenty of others that I've talked with).

There's obvious inspiration from WP and Android in this iOS release, from notifications (such as accessing it from the lock screen, syncing), auto-updating, control center, iTunes radio, multitasking, navigation drawers, live wallpapers, AirDrop, etc. There's nothing wrong with that, iOS grew stagnant and is now playing catch up. Some will call it copying, but I see it as necessary progression. I welcome the changes.

Anyway, I'd say the most striking resemblance to Android is the lock screen. It's almost a direct homage to it.

Last edited:
^ Some of iOS 7 also came from the 2005 prototype iPhone. It hints at the power struggle between Ive and Forstall (long since fired). Many things in iOS 7 were actually present in Ive's prototype but were removed/changed before the iPhone released in 2007. Now Ive has brought them back.

I think the originators of most of these ideas goes back to before iOS and Android even existed. Windows Vista had Aero with transparency which we see in iOS 7. There have been all sorts of notification systems running back to the late 80's/early 90's (some of the accessories and docks for OS/2 had really cool features, not to mention how folders were handled).

Lots of Palm/WebOS people complain, but WebOS only came out in 2009, so I think they're the ones that copied a lot of things. Has anyone ever looked at album cover flow on an iPod Touch/iPhone or Mac Finder? If you take cover flow and make it vertical suddenly you've got the new Safari tabs. People say Apple copied Safari tabs, but did they copy or take an existing idea of they already used (cover flow) and simply rotate it 90 degrees?

I think a lot of people have a very short memory when it comes to the history of computers. They only look at the major players in the last couple of years and don't realize many of the ideas have been around for a very long time.

The pro does look like it'll be beastly. The 6 Thunderbolt 2 ports will be the big thing for professionals, and I'd imagine we'll see support for 3rd party graphic card/PCI-e caddies and such. It is in a sense a modular mac given that you could (theoretically) plug in not only hard drives but anything that fits into a PCI-E slot (graphics cards, displays, raid cards, fiber cards, etc).

Sadly I cant really justify getting one anymore. Nobody really needs anything more than a MacBook Pro for web dev and app dev, especially now that you can have 4 monitors running off the same laptop with no lag, in addition to other thunderbolt bits and bobs.
My wife is getting one for Christmas this year. :)

I used to build rigs all the time and always had some monster tower case with a bunch of fans and drives inside. It's just pointless these days. I use a server at home to store everything and the family uses Mac Mini's or compact PC's. No more huge ugly case taking up space and creating noise.

I think Thunderbolt ports for external expansion are a great idea. You can add as much storage or external GPU power you need. There's really no need for a massive tower anymore.

^ Some of iOS 7 also came from the 2005 prototype iPhone. It hints at the power struggle between Ive and Forstall (long since fired). Many things in iOS 7 were actually present in Ive's prototype but were removed/changed before the iPhone released in 2007. Now Ive has brought them back.

Yes, the basic UI resembles the 2005 prototype.

I think the originators of most of these ideas goes back to before iOS and Android even existed. Windows Vista had Aero with transparency which we see in iOS 7. There have been all sorts of notification systems running back to the late 80's/early 90's (some of the accessories and docks for OS/2 had really cool features, not to mention how folders were handled).

I don't think anyone is denying that a lot of these ideas haven't existed in some way, shape or form.

Lots of Palm/WebOS people complain, but WebOS only came out in 2009, so I think they're the ones that copied a lot of things. Has anyone ever looked at album cover flow on an iPod Touch/iPhone or Mac Finder? If you take cover flow and make it vertical suddenly you've got the new Safari tabs. People say Apple copied Safari tabs, but did they copy or take an existing idea of they already used (cover flow) and simply rotate it 90 degrees?

I think a lot of people have a very short memory when it comes to the history of computers. They only look at the major players in the last couple of years and don't realize many of the ideas have been around for a very long time.

I think those who pay attention do realize that many of the ideas and features we see today have been around for quite some time. The details are in the implementation, though.

For example, iOS 7's multi-tasking feature is almost the exact same approach WebOS took. No other mobile OS had implemented that feature in quite the same fashion. Notification systems have existed for years; however, Android's current implementation is fairly unique to mobile OS'. The iOS 7 notification center heavily favors Android and Google Now, right down to the proactive weather alerts. Control center has existed in Android for awhile now, but in a lot of the custom roms before Android incorporated it, as well.

None of this matters, though. Mobile technology is an iterative industry; everyone borrows from everyone. Apple popularized touch-friendly mobile design. Blackberry pioneered integrating messaging into a mobile OS. Android showed others how to do notifications. WP showed everyone that less is more.

Last edited:
Ehh… do you know that this is a Preview? :eek:

I'm tired of all the people criticizing iOS 7 when it's not released yet. This is a Developer Preview so they can start making apps for the new OS, but iOS 7 is months away from a release candidate. There will be many changes both to the UI and the functionality.

That's what people were saying about Maps too, and we know how that turned out.

I've owned every iPhone model, and always update to the latest iOS version around the time it drops. In my experience, the full release does not drastically change from the beta (especially UI and functionality). They'll iron out bugs, but don't expect many major changes.

Apple has never had this relentless pursuit of quality that some seem to believe. They ship operating systems fast, and fix problems as they crop up. In time the quirks will get sorted out and if your users don't know when or at what version it became better they will assume that it has always been working well.

Anyone remember the first OS X release? Terrible, barely usable. Current version? It's decent. People assume it has always been decent because they can't distinguish between them. It's still OS X. At best, they may know the code name for the upcoming version. The first iOS release wasn't all that great either, and they refined it over the years. I don't expect iOS 7 to be much different.

The current design styles simply bring similar results. You cannot say it is a rip-off, because it has the same optical patterns. XenForo also looks very much like vB4 and others. And you know what happened to the last guys who said it was a rip-off. :D

Apple would if others did it... rounded corners anyone. :ROFLMAO:
And before you go there... I have 2 iPhone 5's (white and black 64GB), 1 iPad min, 1 iPad original, 1 iPad with Retina display and 1 (soon to be 2) Mac Mini's... :rolleyes:

That's what people were saying about Maps too, and we know how that turned out.

I've owned every iPhone model, and always update to the latest iOS version around the time it drops. In my experience, the full release does not drastically change from the beta (especially UI and functionality). They'll iron out bugs, but don't expect many major changes.

Apple has never had this relentless pursuit of quality that some seem to believe. They ship operating systems fast, and fix problems as they crop up. In time the quirks will get sorted out and if your users don't know when or at what version it became better they will assume that it has always been working well.

Anyone remember the first OS X release? Terrible, barely usable. Current version? It's decent. People assume it has always been decent because they can't distinguish between them. It's still OS X. At best, they may know the code name for the upcoming version. The first iOS release wasn't all that great either, and they refined it over the years. I don't expect iOS 7 to be much different.
I basically agree with you, but in this case there are reports of a later build only two days after the preview release. And there were significant changes already.

Been running the beta since it came out. It's nothing new, and looks a great deal like Windows Phone and Android, but hey, at least the iOS is finally catching up with the competition. And I actually quite like the new UI, though it's obviously unfinished at this point. Be curious to see what improvements come in the next beta, I've already submitted a number of bugs and feedback.

I jumped ship after the disappointment of the iPhone 5. I now have a Samsung Galaxy S4. I still use my old iPhone 4S, but I have not yet tried the iOS7 yet. I have heard all the normal "it's great, it's fantastic" but after using a modern Android phone, it still seems a little lacking and primitive compared to a 'Droid phone.

^ I'm the opposite. Being involved in software since the 80's I still hold the idea that hardware (no matter how great) is useless without software. When you were looking for a solution for your business you always picked the software first and then bought hardware that would run it.

While Android and iOS basically have all the same "top 100" Apps (Facebook, Twitter, Yelp and so on), where Android lacks is in the lesser known Apps. For example, my local butcher has an App that I use to order with. He first got the App 2 years ago just before Christmas and had a section where people could custom order a brined turkey. I went in to pick mine up and the placed was packed. He sold 400 turkeys in 2 days ($30,000) through his App, and paid off the development costs (third party developer) in his first week. I play rec hockey and our association has an iOS App used to track player statistics, perform scheduling of games and keep players up-to-date of last minute changes (if your goalie is sick, you could "rent" a goalie from another team for a single game). My daughters school has an iOS App to provide parents with information or allow parents to view reports cards (and digitally sign them).

None of these Apps are on Android, BB or Windows. Most people still pick iOS when they decide to get into making an App for their business or association and may expand to Android or others depending on how successful it is or what their user base is like. Big businesses (like banks) will always have Apps for all the major platforms. As you start to get smaller they will drop Win or BB and concentrate on iOS and Android only. Get smaller still and it's usually iOS that gets preference.

This brings up an important change in the App Store that was mentioned but hasn't got much attention. That is, listing Apps by location. I discovered this butcher because I was driving by and he had a large App Store poster in the window. A large portion of Apps for iOS are made by local businesses or associations, but would never show up in the App Store under a search unless you knew the exact name. Now you could be shopping in a certain district and discover Apps from locals that you might have never heard of unless you actually visited the store. Or if you're travelling on holidays you could discover Apps specific to where you are.

This is one big reason why I prefer iOS. There are more Apps I use and the aftermarket is much larger (made easier by there only being a few devices to develop for - think cases/docks).

Android has next to none quality control, it takes weeks to get your app approved on the App Store whilst only a few hours for the Play Store.

Both have their own strengths and weaknesses, my personal motto is to not get tied in with anything, when the time comes I use and prefer both.

You'll certainly make a hell of a lot more on the AppStore vs Play Store. We're at about 600% more profit from the AppStore with the same apps we distribute across the two.

The only way to cover off multiple revenue streams on android is to get into all the independent app stores such as Amazons. Even then I highly doubt you'll get anywhere near AppStore income.

I've been watching some of the posted WWDC videos and it's clear they've spent a lot of time with typography and dynamics. And not just "we changed the system fonts," they have written an entirely new framework (TextKit), a system that can automatically pick the right font on a semantic basis and then take into account whether or not the user has changed the accessibility preferences. And then another system, UIKit Dynamics, is a built-in way to add the so-called parallax function into every app.

The point is, that's one of the things I like about Apple. They aren't usually first to the party anymore, but I really think they care a great deal about getting something right. iOS 7 has been automated to the point that the developer simply has to call to the new APIs and all that functionality is added in automatically. It's one of the reasons why things on OS X tend to have a great deal of consistency, at least compared to Windows.

^Agree. Also started playing with the new Xcode and watching the WWDC videos. All the news sites/tech blogs are talking about is how iOS 7 looks. The real changes are what's underneath with the new API's and frameworks.

It'll be interesting to see how developers go with these changes to build even better Apps.

Most people don't care about the underlying frameworks. That's why new features and some flashy elements are required in a release. So, naturally, this is what media will focus on.

Top Bottom