Internet Speed

Tried it again. Thought that perhaps an early morning would give me better upload speed. I'm supposed to have a 100Mb/100Mb connection.
Upload didn't improve much but the download speed suprised me.

/SK

Wow, you guys are dwarfing me. I'm at University, so my college is my ISP, and I'm averaging 12.5 mb/s download and 14.5 mb/s upload.

My connection still sucks.

I guess it's time to call Comcast and ask why I'm always getting half (or less) of what I'm paying for. :)

941163313.png

My connection still sucks.

I guess it's time to call Comcast and ask why I'm always getting half (or less) of what I'm paying for. :)
Well see this is what i brought up before about commercial services with ISP's. On residential they only have to offer the ability to burst to the advertised speed not a constant at that speed. Where business services are guaranteed up and down.

However, if you connection is slower than you feel it should be...ask Comcast to come out to your house and install a new drop(the service line from the pole) and ask the guy in the van when he gets there to cut you a whole bunch of coax and crimp some ends on them. I ran all new wires in this house and my other one and saw DRASTIC improvements in line quality. The db levels of noise in the line need to be below I think 27db ( maybe slightly off) and too many splits and low end ( cable older than 8-9 years old ) cables cause loss. Also I don't know what hardware from them you are leasing but if you have an EMTA device (with modem and phone both being used) you should ask them to lease you a dpc3000 device for no extra charge as you feel the equipment you have is insufficient for network purposes. ( I've been after them for a year now since they soft released the docsis rollout to make an EMTA that has docsis 3.0 integrated but that would require Cisco to build a new device so my wishes my be a while)

You have to remember that Comcast has to upgrade almost everywhere all the time and I have had my share of problems with them but I realized that part of the problem with Comcast is they use coax which is bulky ( but way better than twisted pair all day ) and most people don't want to replace wires in their wall. Most of those people don't know what a connection speed is and that they can effect their neighbors or anyone else on their node. I have a friend that works for them and took a ride with him one time and he pulled out this gunnish thing I forget what it's called but basically it shows loss coming out of the drop at the coupler where it connects to the house. The neighborhood looked like Christmas lighting strung-up meaning loss everywhere . Thing is it's hard for them to tell non tech savvy customers that things in their walls need to be changed and when they do say that customers want them to do it when Comcast (at least in Connecticut anyways) is not legally allowed to do anything regarding running wire sans install from the pole to the outside of your house. In the end a few calls to them or an upgrade of your package with them would guarantee them going to your house and solving your problem. When I first moved into this home it could only handle 20meg and now I have the 50 and get 60 simply because after installing a new docsis device they cannot leave the installation until you have achieved your appropriate speed.

Well see this is what i brought up before about commercial services with ISP's. On residential they only have to offer the ability to burst to the advertised speed not a constant at that speed. Where business services are guaranteed up and down.

Could always have my problem... Virgin run a very similar Cable network in the UK, but my area the line power is actually TOO great... there is hardly any noise on the line but the over all line power is higher and faster than the equipment can currently take, so they have to actually reduce the power on every line using a equalizer...

Could always have my problem... Virgin run a very similar Cable network in the UK, but my area the line power is actually TOO great... there is hardly any noise on the line but the over all line power is higher and faster than the equipment can currently take, so they have to actually reduce the power on every line using a equalizer...
bottlenecks FTW!
Does virgin provide the modem device? , if so what model?
I don't understand why they do that.... maybe its a safety measure in the way of limiting total bandwidth capabilities at the modem way lower than total capabilities so that no one node ever get overloaded. Who knows? lol

bottlenecks FTW!
Does virgin provide the modem device? , if so what model?
I don't understand why they do that.... maybe its a safety measure in the way of limiting total bandwidth capabilities at the modem way lower than total capabilities so that no one node ever get overloaded. Who knows? lol

Yes they do, currently with the 50Mb/s connection it uses the same modem as always "ambit e08c013" however the new 50Mb/s modem actually contains TWO ambit e08c013 modems in one box and the connections are bridged.

Actual Modem in its original box
21394146.jpg

New Bridged Modem container.
903_31_703---Virgin-Media-50mb-cable-modem_web.jpg

Yes they do, currently with the 50Mb/s connection it uses the same modem as always "ambit e08c013" however the new 50Mb/s modem actually contains TWO ambit e08c013 modems in one box and the connections are bridged.

New Bridged Modem container.
903_31_703---Virgin-Media-50mb-cable-modem_web.jpg

Am I understanding this wrong.
Your isp lets you have two hardline connections with load balancing?

This just blew my mind. If this is the case your lucky as in my local area anyway you may only have one drop-line to your home from the pole for cable in a single home residence. Please elaborate on this modem.

232 mb/s down is quite very nice. However, not even having 1 mb/s upload kinda ruins the advantage of the download speed, in my humble opinion.

Depending where you're based. Well, at least that's Singapore (If you get to know know more about Singapore laws - and it will be much self explanatory). Which the above upload speed is the best you could ever get, unlike download speed. Anyway, surfing speeds have been pretty decent. At the time of writing, I'm getting a download speed of 255.50Mb/s which is really very good considering my location is out of the CBD area. ;)

Depending where you're based. Well, at least that's Singapore (If you get to know know more about Singapore laws - and it will be much self explanatory). Which the above upload speed is the best you could ever get, unlike download speed. Anyway, surfing speeds have been pretty decent. At the time of writing, I'm getting a download speed of 255.50Mb/s which is really very good considering my location is out of the CBD area. ;)
I have no idea, to be honest. To prevent uploading / spam or something?

Thing is, when you upload even a bit with only 1 mb/s up, your download and browser speed suffers big time. That's why I said what I said. :)

Top Bottom