Implement AMP Project framework

thumped

https://www.ampproject.org/

The Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) Project is an initiative to improve the mobile web and enhance the distribution ecosystem. If content is fast, flexible and beautiful, including compelling and effective ads, we can preserve the open web publishing model as well as the revenue streams so important to the sustainability of quality publishing.

AMP HTML is a new way to make web pages that are optimized to load instantly on users’ mobile devices. It is designed to support smart caching, predictable performance, and modern, beautiful mobile content. Since AMP HTML is built on existing web technologies, and not a template based system, publishers continue to host their own content, innovate on their user experiences, and flexibly integrate their advertising and business models -- all within a technical architecture optimized for speed and performance.

Upvote 196
Absolutely. This is now essential with Google splitting their index into desktop and mobile, specifically making point about AMP taking precedence in results.

Amp pages won't have any more precedence over normal mobile friendly in search from what I've seen, at best for a forum site you'll just get a normal mobile result placement replaced by the amp page. If your sites already quick theres no point imo. As for the carousel, forget it unless you're news worthy, is forum content even news worthy? seems like more of a carrot that Google is dangling thats causing threads like these.

Some good reading here:

https://webmasters.googleblog.com/2016/08/amp-your-content-preview-of-amped.html

https://moz.com/blog/google-amp-search-results

Amp pages won't have any more precedence over normal mobile friendly in search from what I've seen
Actually, they will... especially when they're the fastest page from the result set to be returned. Read: https://xenforo.com/community/threa...le-performance-xf-designers-take-heed.122321/

If your sites already quick theres no point imo.
Your site can be as quick as you "think" it is, for desktop viewing, but how does that stack up for mobile viewing? And then, how does your supposed quick mobile viewing stack up against the same page in AMP?

Honestly... do you follow what Google do? I do, its kind of my job, and Google very recently admitted that their new mobile result set that is being split from the desktop set, WILL be their primary result set, and performance WILL be everything to be shown in that result set. They said they will add additional results to complete the set in broader match terms where say a person types in "cabinet maker" from their standing position with their mobile, however, if the same person types in "local cabinet maker" or "cabinet maker suburb" then everything else will be stripped, and the fastest pages will be the primary results in the mobile database.

unless you're news worthy
Ignorance is seems. AMP started with news pages. Google are now splitting their index into two sets, desktop and mobile. AMP now takes precedence in the new mobile only index for ALL pages that are the fastest. Any content can be delivered in AMP, you can make an entire design purely upon AMP if you want, however, to be shown in AMP results the page must validate AMP, which means the underlying software must cater every requisite for AMP to ensure that each page containing user generated content automatically adjusts (images, image size declarations, attachments handled correctly, blah blah) so the page can be listed in AMP results.

is forum content even news worthy? seems like more of a carrot that Google is dangling thats causing threads like these.
Again... ignorance of where something started, and where Google have now pushed it. Go research what Google have recently just done and their current stance on this. They even gave us a couple months notice before this happens.

Will everything just go AMP in the next year? No. As such, no different than responsive design, this will rollout over the next 2 - 3 years in essence.

The difference though, is how gets there first gets to capitalise on that additional traffic, subsequent revenue generation.

Sticking your head in the sand about how Google are shifting their entire index of search into two distinct databases... you will be closing up your site in no time due to no mobile traffic.

I don't know about you, but right now my sites traffic is 61% mobile. Lets do the math here. 14k daily uniques * 61 / 100 = 8540 daily traffic up for being lost to someone else who has far better mobile performance (AMP) and matches similar for the result search.

You're right -- I should just ignore that and stick my head in the sand as though mobile performance can just be ignored. Hey... that way in a few years I can just close up shop because members will have moved elsewhere because their mobile searches will be directed elsewhere. Yer... good plan. (sarcasm)

To clarify, this is not a ranking change for sites

https://webmasters.googleblog.com/2016/08/amp-your-content-preview-of-amped.html

Feel free to cite where google have said amp takes presidence over a normal mobile friendly page.

https://twitter.com/JohnMu/status/761309751145820162

John Mueller from google also confirmed it. Shame your answer isnt as good as your sarcasm ;) when certain features to make forums work and precedence are added to amp you can pick up your pitchfork again.

Stick head in sand and see who wins! What changes in just two months? http://searchengineland.com/google-whats-important-2017-machine-learning-amp-structured-data-261150

There is actually a tweet, which I'm sure you can go find if you choose, where Gary Illyes just a day or three ago (remembering is tough at times) did actually clarify in loose, yet direct terms, that AMP will rank higher due to AMP being faster to load than say a standard responsive design that requires a lot of CSS and JS to do the same thing. The inference in one of his latest tweets, was that due to AMP being so light, clean and fast, it will be seen far more than other results.

Google make no secrets over performance. I do this for a living, and let me just add, shaving a few hundreds of a second from a servers page load time, shifts a page from #5 to #2 / #1, without anything further done.

Google quality guidelines updated: full PDF

Even retired, I still do this for a living. What is your living @Mark3121? SEO / SEM?

Last edited:
Google always first says "It won't affect your search ranking."

Few months down the line... that statement changes. We've seen this happen countless times. They speak for "now" not the future. And if you think Google won't force AMP down our throats at some point in time then you've not been a webmaster for long enough.

So instead of rushing at the last moment, if there is a foundation its always better. Other forum products are also adding AMP support.

The biggest issue that everyone is going to endure once the mobile index rolls out, is that organic results are being pushed further below the fold when anything local has the opportunity to be shown. For informational sites, you're really now playing against top authorities to be seen in the knowledge graph (KG) pack, which means those with the most authoritative domain / page, and the fastest, will get the mobile traffic above the fold from that pack. Otherwise you have to still fight it out as usual for organic results, just way below the fold of immediate search results. Organic listing conversions will drop, especially if you aren't looking towards AMP and lots of authority for your pages.

A good local results study was done for anyone interested in what's important to be seen in the local listings: http://www.localseoguide.com/guides/2016-local-seo-ranking-factors/

Short version - you can spam yourself into local listings, even when not local, to boost your traffic, using targeted local page construction combined with creating yourself a citation history and the #1 factor, local keywords in inbound links.

Not very good support for it though.
No problem here, Keep in mind you need a active licence from xfrocks to get support. The support given here on this forum is an extra for free and not if xfrocks is busy he doesn't always have time for that. If you have an active webmaster badge I'm sure he will get back to you.

Google cert
No problem here, Keep in mind you need a active licence from xfrocks to get support. The support given here on this forum is an extra for free and not if xfrocks is busy he doesn't always have time for that. If you have an active webmaster badge I'm sure he will get back to you.
I don't know about a badge, but I pay for support on the forum there. I find with amp that all the images are huge and I cannot find a way to fix this

Just ran across this, and as @Brogan said way back, AMP is more or less only good for purely static web pages. Google's website isn't AMP enabled. Google's static pages (like their help section) aren't AMP enabled. Even some areas of the ampproject.org aren't AMP enabled (for example the AMP validator since it's not a static page): https://validator.ampproject.org/

Even Google's blog post (which is relatively static content) highlighting why AMP is so great isn't "AMPed". lol https://webmasters.googleblog.com/2016/08/amp-your-content-preview-of-amped.html

AMP pages are good if you have a super slow static website from 1995 and you need a step by step guide to make your site faster because you haven't heard of HTML5 yet.

because you haven't heard of HTML5 yet
What does HTML5 have to do with making a site fast? That is the silliest thing I've heard in a while. Let alone for a mobile device, being the purpose of AMP.

I think the only thing that will stop AMP is when and how fast telco's rollout 5G when it appears in the next couple of years. If it takes a decade to appease the masses, AMP will grow in popularity until 5G is an everyday occurrence, which I would anticipate phones are all meeting a minimum of the new iPhone 7 specs, reading / writing faster than 2 to 3 Gbps.

5G is a fix... HTML5 doesn't do **** for speed. Pages were lighter in size when we were coding using HTML2 back in 95. Pages were infinitely smaller then, factually, being the average page size in 95 was just 15kb compared to 2016 at 2Mb.

I don't think using HTML5 is a good comparison for performance. All we've accomplished with faster connections is to bloat our pages with unnecessary crap that keeps slowing us down for getting the content we want, as fast as possible.

I didn't mean it as a comparison to performance, only that someone with a dated/old site hasn't heard of modern things. Could have also said it's good for people don't use Google because they haven't outgrown Lycos (also no relevance to speed).

It wouldn't be terribly difficult to AMP enable certain XenForo content types that are relatively static (like threads) with an addon. Just not sure it's worth the effort is all. You basically would be making a dumbed down version of your content that really isn't useable to your users (think like vBulletin's old "archive"). Then again, I don't see a point in a lot of things (for example I don't use sitemaps). :)

I'm all for "fast", but I'm not going to buy into the only servers that can be fast are Google's cache (AMP users never come to your site).

Just not sure it's worth the effort is all.
Prior to Google deciding to split their index, I would have agreed with you. Now they're splitting it early next year... around 60% of my sites and client sites traffic is mobile... that will be a significant potential loss when Google are looking to load the fastest possible page versions for their mobile index, no longer comparing against desktop pages to decide which is delivered. Obviously no such issue for the desktop index.

Obviously people aren't going to sustain 60% losses when they transition, but I would anticipate those with responsive, heavily bloated pages, to find a dent in traffic from that portion when compared against rivals who are delivering mobile fast pages without bloat.

Google have clearly stated that is what they want to give their mobile users, relevant and fast loading, for the mobile index.

I think people are going to be a little shocked with some initial 10% plus losses, more with heavily bloated pages. Those with super fast responsive pages, should see up-to 10% increases, at a rough estimate.

I didn't mean it as a comparison to performance, only that someone with a dated/old site hasn't heard of modern things. Could have also said it's good for people don't use Google because they haven't outgrown Lycos (also no relevance to speed).

It wouldn't be terribly difficult to AMP enable certain XenForo content types that are relatively static (like threads) with an addon. Just not sure it's worth the effort is all. You basically would be making a dumbed down version of your content that really isn't useable to your users (think like vBulletin's old "archive"). Then again, I don't see a point in a lot of things (for example I don't use sitemaps). :)

I'm all for "fast", but I'm not going to buy into the only servers that can be fast are Google's cache (AMP users never come to your site).
You should have a look at Progressive Web Apps and the power of service workers @digitalpoint They are really powerful. You can do amazing things with it.

Top Bottom