Implement AMP Project framework

thumped

https://www.ampproject.org/

The Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) Project is an initiative to improve the mobile web and enhance the distribution ecosystem. If content is fast, flexible and beautiful, including compelling and effective ads, we can preserve the open web publishing model as well as the revenue streams so important to the sustainability of quality publishing.

AMP HTML is a new way to make web pages that are optimized to load instantly on users’ mobile devices. It is designed to support smart caching, predictable performance, and modern, beautiful mobile content. Since AMP HTML is built on existing web technologies, and not a template based system, publishers continue to host their own content, innovate on their user experiences, and flexibly integrate their advertising and business models -- all within a technical architecture optimized for speed and performance.

Upvote 196
There is a trade-off, however. Third-party JavaScript code, for example, has no place in the AMP environment. Even CSS is being constrained; properties like transition, filter, and animation are currently banned. You won’t be able to implement scroll bars either, or have a CSS stylesheet that exceeds 50,000 bytes.

Wow sounds great, I'm sure they're be no add-on conflicts from xenforo merging CSS files

Capture.webp

/s

Last edited:
If it is implemented then hopefully an option to completely disable it would be included.

I wouldn't want content from my site to be presented in this manner.
My thoughts exactly. When I visit a site on my mobile I want the full experience albeit adjusted through responsive design, I do not want a stripped down version. I too would switch this off on my site if XenForo 2.0 included it.

Technical challenges aside, there's some very short-sighted commentary here. Aside from AMP (theoretically) providing a better user experience for people on bandwidth-limited mobile networks, or on feature phones rather than smart phones, here's one reason you might want to have it enabled:

2016-02-29-accelerated-mobile-pages-in-google-search_resized_opt.png

I have it enabled on the Wordpress portion of my site. Without any customisation at all (something i really need to do) it's this -> https://thumped.com/features/interviews/le-galaxie-we-get-that-a-lot-actually/ versus this -> https://thumped.com/features/interviews/le-galaxie-we-get-that-a-lot-actually/amp/.

I hope xenforo support it in future. (And i think It must support if Xenforo wants to lead the field )

We must follow the newest web standards of course and i though google will show first the AMP results on mobile search in next. Why it isn't show ? Faster, cleaner, low bandwidth for mobiles.

I see that some big vbulletin forums did AMP support completely. I don't know how they did but i think custom development. They works and looking perfect ...

XenForo does not have a print template right? Maybe they can deliver on two features with AMP delivery. I assumed XF would at least have a print.css but trying to print this thread does not showcase a very print friendly layout.

I hope xenforo support it in future. (And i think It must support if Xenforo wants to lead the field )

We must follow the newest web standards of course and i though google will show first the AMP results on mobile search in next. Why it isn't show ? Faster, cleaner, low bandwidth for mobiles.

I see that some big vbulletin forums did AMP support completely. I don't know how they did but i think custom development. They works and looking perfect ...
Can you give an example link to one of these forums? I just want to have a look at it how it's done.

I have experienced the speed of AMP pages myself on slow connections. It's amazing! The articles load instantly!

I don't think it's a complex task to develop an add-on that can do this.
Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to do it. I should really start learning it! But I want to do so many things. :eek::sleep:

The AMP project isn't about accelerating every single light text page that already loads quickly because you believe that your forum threads are ever going to appear in an AMP carousel. My guess is that it almost certainly will not happen, at least for the foreseeable future. While the public AMP pages may be unclear, hints of where it is going can be read at the Webmaster Central Blog from time to time. It is a limited rollout which includes certain geographic regions, niches and sites.

Let's think about this for a second. Why would you accelerate your average forum page that contains short text - which the overwhelming majority do? It's not about all the ads that weigh down the content. It's much about the heavy nature of the content itself being delivered and which AMP tries to provide a version that loads more quickly. So... is Wikipedia coming out with an AMP version of their text based site any time soon? My guess is probably not and the question being - why?

That said, I might develop an AMP add-on specifically for pages or areas that are news only because of my own work with AMP and some news-based sections that I have on some of my sites. This is NOT and will not an addon that creates an AMP version of an XF forum. It is a limited use application.

AMP is currently not a ranking signal, but expect that it will become a ranking signal. Because it's about speed, and Google is doing everything to speed up the web and improve user experience.
Google is doing everything it can to ensure that sites load reasonably quickly. Ranking signals for pure speed of whether a site that loads in 2.43 seconds versus 2.48 seconds will be of negligible if any effect at all. Why is this? Because Google's #1 concern is about providing excellent quality search results from sites that provide a reasonably good viewing experience to complement the content that answers a query best of all. It is not about a speed contest.

Is this something to make webpages viewable to ants? What do you have, eye focusing problems or tiny screens?
I hate when mobile versions of websites differ so much that I can't even navigate them.

It's worth asking whose interests are really being served by AMP. Instant page loading will help Google's users - but will not serve webmasters looking to engage users on their own websites, or serve ads.

This smells too much like the Google Accelerator they tried to implement about 10 years ago, which was essentially Google caching websites to the detriment of webmasters - and, ultimately, web users:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Web_Accelerator

OR Google hostedf News, which again was a way to separate content from creators for the benefit of Google's users, but no one else.

I have a ton of articles set up as pages. These would seem to be good candidates for AMP. I suppose I could create hidden (unlisted) doppelgangers of each of my articles and leverage the AMP snippets accordingly... i.e., do it manually. Maybe go through the trouble of this for the top 10 or so trafficked entrance pages which are articles.

Top Bottom