1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IE 6, yawn

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Vincent, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

Ya'll heard the IE 6 things lately.

vB is supporting it,
    IPB isn't...

What's it gonna be here devs? :)

My opinion is that it shouldn't be. It is a waste of time. IE has reached version 8, no need to use 6 than...
  2. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

From what I've read, XF works pretty well in IE6 except for a few minor issues.
  3. Greg

Greg Active Member

My opinion is that sites should all break in IE6 so we can try and get everyone using it to use a real browser.
  4. TNCclubman

TNCclubman Well-Known Member

ie6 should still be supported as there are still many public internet stations around the globe using windows98. Also some people have old laptops that wont run xp or higher and use windows 98 with ie6 and use it as an internet station only.
  5. Rhydian

Rhydian Active Member

It's not needed to support ie6 it's a tiny % visitors chances are they'll not want to spend $100+ on a forum license if they can't afford to leave the 20th century.
  6. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

The goal is to be "acceptable" in IE6. That means the layout can't be broken completely, and functionality still needs to work, but it doesn't have to be perfect.
    Sonic2k, pipedreams, MordyT and 2 others like this.
  7. x3sphere

x3sphere Active Member

Funnily enough, XF looks better in IE6 than vB 4.x does, despite them "supporting" it :p
  8. Quillz

Quillz Well-Known Member

I agree completely. Don't go out of your way to support IE6, but also don't try to break anything, either. The problem with IE6 was it was so non-standard that websites used IE-only coding and effects, causing sites that literally break in any browser other than IE.
  9. zenlan

zenlan New Member

Many institutions still use it unfortunately. I'm developing an app for a major London university and they are insisting on IE6 compatibility as that is all that they have in their offices. :(
  10. Disjunto

Disjunto Well-Known Member

yeah, every visitor to a forum runs a forum? There's still a lot of people stuck on IE6 for one reason or another
  11. NolF

NolF Active Member

I think a plugin like Chrome Frame would be enough support for IE6, I hope the site doesn't break in IE6 but it would be very low in the priority order
  12. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

Indeed, as web masters we need to be tying to make everything work with as wide an audience of people that we can... having a site that doesn't work for all those users who are forced to use IE6 for what ever reason just limits your market.
    RockCake likes this.
  13. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

Most cases where people cant move from IE6 is on public or business systems, they also won't be able to install a plugin like chrome frame.
    RockCake likes this.
  14. pipedreams

pipedreams Active Member

Agreed. Many of us would like to see IE6 gone now, but alas it's going to be around for a long time to come yet. :mad:

I am a developer on a busy news site in Ireland, and nearly 17% of our visitors still use IE6!
  15. Floris

Floris Guest

Make a stand, boycot IE access to your sites. Stand tall and fight the war of ignorance.

If a company can install 5 additional programs to their system to have their employers play FarmVille better, they can also install Chrome.
    RockCake and Disjunto like this.
  16. Alluidh

Alluidh Well-Known Member

I’m working in a company with more than 100.000 employees and we had IE6 included in our rollout because of the security bugs in IE7 at the time the image had build. In my opinion it is good to support IE6 with XenForo because our company isn’t alone with that usage ;)
    RockCake likes this.
  17. ridcully

ridcully Member

Well, the ie6 is nearly 10 years old and it is not support by micrsoft anymore... The Operating Systems it run's on are not support by microsoft anymore... If you are still using ie6 you are a security risk for the internet...
    RockCake and CBI Web like this.
  18. Disjunto

Disjunto Well-Known Member

maybe so, but people are stuck on XP/98 at work/public machines etc.
    RockCake likes this.
  19. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

Agreed it is not always their choice... Again we can't limit our users, for all I would love to see IE6 go away it isn't going anywhere anytime soon
    RockCake likes this.
  20. ridcully

ridcully Member

you are right. but nothing changes, if you don't change it. if the site looks perfect in ie6, nobody has a reason to update. if "the internet" breaks, they maybe would use a modern browser. or at least, think about an alternative...

anyway, i believe, those public places, will get a security problem very fast. you can't do anything about this, without using a modern operating system!
    RockCake likes this.