IE 6, yawn

Vincent

Ya'll heard the IE 6 things lately.

vB is supporting it,
IPB isn't...

What's it gonna be here devs? :)

My opinion is that it shouldn't be. It is a waste of time. IE has reached version 8, no need to use 6 than...

ie6 should still be supported as there are still many public internet stations around the globe using windows98. Also some people have old laptops that wont run xp or higher and use windows 98 with ie6 and use it as an internet station only.

It's not needed to support ie6 it's a tiny % visitors chances are they'll not want to spend $100+ on a forum license if they can't afford to leave the 20th century.

Ya'll heard the IE 6 things lately.

vB is supporting it,
IPB isn't...

What's it gonna be here devs? :)

My opinion is that it shouldn't be. It is a waste of time. IE has reached version 8, no need to use 6 than...

Funnily enough, XF looks better in IE6 than vB 4.x does, despite them "supporting" it :p

The goal is to be "acceptable" in IE6. That means the layout can't be broken completely, and functionality still needs to work, but it doesn't have to be perfect.

I agree completely. Don't go out of your way to support IE6, but also don't try to break anything, either. The problem with IE6 was it was so non-standard that websites used IE-only coding and effects, causing sites that literally break in any browser other than IE.

Many institutions still use it unfortunately. I'm developing an app for a major London university and they are insisting on IE6 compatibility as that is all that they have in their offices. :(

yeah, every visitor to a forum runs the a forum? There's still a lot of people stuck on IE6 for one reason or another

Indeed, as web masters we need to be tying to make everything work with as wide an audience of people that we can... having a site that doesn't work for all those users who are forced to use IE6 for what ever reason just limits your market.

I think a plugin like Chrome Frame would be enough support for IE6, I hope the site doesn't break in IE6 but it would be very low in the priority order

Most cases where people cant move from IE6 is on public or business systems, they also won't be able to install a plugin like chrome frame.

The goal is to be "acceptable" in IE6. That means the layout can't be broken completely, and functionality still needs to work, but it doesn't have to be perfect.

Agreed. Many of us would like to see IE6 gone now, but alas it's going to be around for a long time to come yet. :mad:

I am a developer on a busy news site in Ireland, and nearly 17% of our visitors still use IE6!

Make a stand, boycot IE access to your sites. Stand tall and fight the war of ignorance.

If a company can install 5 additional programs to their system to have their employers play FarmVille better, they can also install Chrome.

I’m working in a company with more than 100.000 employees and we had IE6 included in our rollout because of the security bugs in IE7 at the time the image had build. In my opinion it is good to support IE6 with XenForo because our company isn’t alone with that usage ;)

maybe so, but people are stuck on XP/98 at work/public machines etc.

you are right. but nothing changes, if you don't change it. if the site looks perfect in ie6, nobody has a reason to update. if "the internet" breaks, they maybe would use a modern browser. or at least, think about an alternative...

anyway, i believe, those public places, will get a security problem very fast. you can't do anything about this, without using a modern operating system!

Top Bottom