I would love to convert to XenForo, but...

And in no way do I consider albums an essential part of the core software. They're nice to have, but a good forum, with interesting content, is not going to die, or even lack, without them.

vB didn't have albums until just a couple of years ago. Most other forum software doesn't have them at all. I don't see them failing for lack of albums. I think you've gone just a tad bit overboard with this.
Think beyond Forums and embrace Community. Xenforo positions itself between traditional forum software and Facebook in some ways. Look at Likes.

Can someone explain to me the challenge of the user albums here when the photo attachments when creating a thread here including the amazing uploader and recent activity are already functioning to perfection. Isnt a user album essentially the same thing? Instead of the photos taking up a spot in the database in a thread table, they take up space in a user table?

...and we b i t c h e d about 'the album system' when it was introduced Peggy because it was not full blown photo gallery......
yeah alot of people did, not me. They griped about the albums not having all the bells 'n' whistles of a full-blown gallery, when the albums were not designed to be a full-blown galleryat all, and they were never presented as such.

From what I saw on the vB forum before I was banned when the rebellion started it had little use, I know, I was using it and don't think one could even link to the media outside of the forum.

From what I saw on the vB forum before I was banned when the rebellion started it had little use, I know, I was using it and don't think one could even link to the media outside of the forum.
That's not what they were designed for. They were picture albums. For people to share pics. You could choose your privacy levels, who could view them or not. You could label them, etc. IIRC, you could link to a pic from a post and have it show in the post. But no you could not link to outside media. That was never meant to be an option, that I know of.

Anyway, I think we've taken Wii's thread way off topic.

What should I do with the member albums and our photo gallery? Everything else I modded into my vBulletin is not that important, but my members will go crazy if I remove the above.

Any suggestions?

As Brogan stated, King Kovifor is coding a gallery. However, it may be a while before this is done as he is also in school. If you need something right away in order to come over to the bright side ;), you may want to consider PhotoPost.

....But none the less, once the sole developer and copyright holder of an addon disappears, goes completely inactive or passes away, this is a disaster to communities that rely on the addon. (NuHit, GARS, LDM) Once you find yourself in that situation, you will be extremely cautious with relying on new addons....
This is another reason why Albums should be a part of the core, IMHO.

I agree with Alfa1. Ive been burned before and would prefer the major 'addons' like event attendance/calendar and user albums be in the core. No issues with compatability with new releases etc. But to be clear, Im not whining lol. I know we must wait whatever amount of time. I just would like word if we convert now our vB 3.8 forums, if it would be possible to bring the albums at a later time on their own.

Not true. Albums is a vital tool for users to express themselves and keep others informed on his/her daily happenings. It enriches active communities. Being social is not just talk.
I have a forum of over 20K members and of those who chose to create an album for themselves, i can count about 20 of them.
Of those 20 albums, majority of them have less than 10 pictures in it.
Would it be nice to have it at some point in the future? Yes
Does it stop my forum from being an active community where discussion about topics my site is about? No.
I haven't seen any drop in activity since we convert to XF from VB 3.8

I agree Andy, albums are one thing, a photo gallery is another, like I said prior, I could not even post a link to my images from other websites I posted on when using the 'photo album' on the official vB forums.

Thank you Kier for explaining your post.

What should I do with the member albums and our photo gallery? Everything else I modded into my vBulletin is not that important, but my members will go crazy if I remove the above.

Any suggestions?

You might be best just waiting until those features or add-ons are released. If you know your members are not going to like it, them not being there. They've already made your mind-up for you.

I would also like to see a Gallery function added in XenForo, quite similar to how vBulletin 3 has it. But with better features in displaying then on other forums areas.

About a Gallery though, it does amaze me that people never think about just creating a forum board used as a main gallery photo collection area by members. :D

Michael, I will let you use the butt scratcher Bob Brisco provided me with when the software turned into a white elephant after the licensing changes, it is built into vB thereafter.

just creating a forum board used as a main gallery photo collection area by members. :D

Im way ahead of you. lol Thats what Im going to do. Now if only someone can say something about whether or not we could import the user albums over on their own once xF gets albums so I dont have to keep the vB3.8 software live to keep my sites 100,000 photos in tact all over the web. I dont mind having the future 'albums' from today on as threads... just dont want to lose 3 years of photos by getting rid of vB. Kind of silly having to keep my vbulletin live just for that.

Top Bottom