1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I would love to convert to XenForo, but...

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by wii, Mar 9, 2011.

1. wii

wii Active Member

What should I do with the member albums and our photo gallery? Everything else I modded into my vBulletin is not that important, but my members will go crazy if I remove the above.

Any suggestions?

Abracadaniel, gordy and pipedreams like this.
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

King Kovifor is currently working on a gallery add-on which may fulfil your needs.

Of course an importer of sorts will also be required to migrate the data.

3. Jeffin

Jeffin Well-Known Member

I wanted the gallery too. But I still did the conversion. I have the old database to import photos and blogs.

4. wii

wii Active Member

But how can you import them afterwards ?

5. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Well-Known Member

IMO, it's inevitable that an importer will be created...it's just a matter of waiting.

6. wii

wii Active Member

Let's hope so, not sure if I should convert before this happens though.

7. jmurrayhead

If they are heavily used on your site, I would probably wait. Just my opinion, though.

8. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

I did, but the vB4 software was crashing my server almost everyday.. It was a trade off i had to make if my site was to be taken seriously.. I own a few Pet related sites and pictures /album are pretty important.. I left my vB database in tact for when a gallery becomes available.. So now that my members have forgot about them.. They will be shocked when Galleria is released and i can re import those albums.. My members did forgive me just because the XF software is so much better then vB4.. All situations are different but i just didn't have a choice and had to make the jump.. I'm glad i did and haven't regretted it once..

Walter likes this.
  9. jmurrayhead

Might be worth polling your community about it. They might be ok with it knowing that there data is saved and will be imported eventually.

10. TNCclubman

TNCclubman Well-Known Member

In the same boat. Bought an additional license yesterday that is going to sit on the shelf until we get xF user albums.

11. gordy

gordy Well-Known Member

Something I've been considering is converting to XF, set the old forums (vB3x) to read-only and leave the albums open for use, basically turning the old forum into a bloated gallery album..

12. wii

wii Active Member

I did poll about this back in August 2010, like this:

Which features don't we need for the new forum ?

Results like this:

Portal 12,9%
    Chat 12,9%
    Gallery 3,23%
    Social Groups 61,29%
    Member Albums 19,35%
    Calendar 23,26%
    Other 3,23%

dieketzer likes this.
  13. jmurrayhead

That's asking them about not having it at all. Why not ask them if they could do without it for a period of time?

14. wii

wii Active Member

Yeah, that should be the next poll.

15. RastaLulz

RastaLulz Well-Known Member

I would convert to XenForo, but there are just no appealing/professional styles out.

16. Pope Viper

Pope Viper Well-Known Member

What's your definition of "appealing/professional styles? Have any examples?

17. wii

wii Active Member

It's so easy to change the colors, if that's enough for you ;)

18. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

I know what you mean about the albums being important in pet communities with my husky-owners site. Luckily Im using invision at the moment so at least I dont have to bare with vb4. If I did have vb4 on then I would have made the same decision as yourself. As for the time being though I'm not moving anything until I can sort a gallery out. I may even use photopost for the time being if neccesary, however waiting to see KK's loveliness first :D

FredC likes this.
  19. wii

wii Active Member

When thinking about it I could use another system for the Gallery, since I don't need the integration, but albums is a must.

20. kyrgyz

kyrgyz Well-Known Member

I can't believe Mike and Kier skipped Albums considering their statement:

A compelling community experience.

Intuitive. Social. Engaging. Fast. XenForo brings a fresh outlook to forum software.

Albums should have been incorporated from the git-go. (n)