I bought an Apple

I have a lemon.:(
Wanna switch?:)

No I hate lemons, sorry :(

Here's another reason I hate auto-correct on Lion.

So turn it off? :P

What a cowinky dinky. I bought an apple today too. It was fat, red, juicy, and very tasty!
Only cost me .45 cents.

Bet my apple was cheaper than your apple. ;)

Darn I think I've been scammed :(
Should have gotten a Pear Book :)

Pear_book_pro.jpg

Nah, I'm allergic to them :P

I have 4GB Ram, wouldn't that be enough? I'm not so enthousiastic to open up my Macbook and replace it :P Is it "dangerous"? :D

Yes 4gb is plenty. But as with always, a bit more never hurts, and the discussion wasn't that you should get it (just explaining) but more that buying it from apple usually means you're paying tenfold the value of ram. They're at a markets low right now. I rather pay $35 or $150 for maxing out my machine. Than pay $200 to $1999 at apple to do that.

my imac has 4gb since 2009 and it doesnt need more, it has no problems handling big files, etc. But if the ram for this imac gets cheap i am investing a bit to help avoid swap and prep for the future when programs demand a bit more memory.

My mac pro server has 6 gb atm.
I don't really need more, swap is at 64mb or 128mb.
Only quite recent when the minecraft server i also run on it is demanding more when there's more players online that i hear the hard drive do some overtime. maybe ill upgrade next year to an ssd for minecraft and add 4gb extra to the system (take out 2x512 and replace it with 2x4gb)

Macs use ram very efficiently. In normal usage, 4 Gb is plenty. If you turn on your resource monitor, you can verify the amount of ram usage. If you see that you are using swap significantly, you need to add ram.

The only difficult part about swapping ram in the MacBook are the number of tiny screws. You need a high quality Phillips Head jeweler's screw driver. Once the cover is off, the two ram boars just clip in and out, very easy. The ram providers all have videos available that demonstrate the process. You need to be very careful about static control. All of the electronic components in the Mac are naturally very sensitive to static.

Jeff

Any tips, programs or any other Mac stuff I should know off to install on my new Macbook?
Being relatively new to mac myself, I went and got some mac help books from the newsagents, which shows a lot of helpful beginner tidbits, ie. how to fly through finder when using it, not just clicking things, then having to find your way back, etc... its all shortcut based, and getting used to those shortcuts is taking time, but finder pissed me off the most navigating in and out of files initially... then I learnt the tidbits to make it easy. Knowing these things, its easier than explorer now.

Learner help books really help me to understand and unlock the power of a mac. Its just getting away from the windows mentality of click everything, to keyboard shortcut based, which is proving far faster as I learn it.

Got one of the new Mac Minis when they came out 2 months ago. Barely turn it on, so it's a glorified speaker riser ATM :) Did recently toy with it as a test to try to get Exchange email with it... Yeah, not as easy as the Apple store said it would be. They only know "Exchange 2007" and higher. In reality it's Exchange 2007 SP1 RU4 and higher.

Got one of the new Mac Minis when they came out 2 months ago. Barely turn it on, so it's a glorified speaker riser ATM Did recently toy with it as a test to try to get Exchange email with it... Yeah, not as easy as the Apple store said it would be. They only know "Exchange 2007" and higher. In reality it's Exchange 2007 SP1 RU4 and higher.
Throw it up on ebay =D

Top Bottom