How will the Lawsuit affect customers?

Dwayne

I have to ask, what happens if IB wins and xenForo is asked to shut down? Or is it just to early to tell? Would we be required to remove the software from our sites?

I have no idea but if that happens I will do something I don't really want to do. If it comes to that I will use the domain name vbulletinsucksforums and will have a section in there to explore if there are any avenues for class action against IB. Lets just hope it does not come to that.

It won't, if anything "money people" will be looking at investing in XF due to all the free publicity Bob Brisco gave them with this idiotic stunt of a "so called lawsuit" !!!!

IB has not legs to stand on, don't worry, you will not be stopped by any court in the world from using this software due to anything IB brings to the table in this lawsuit.

In addition this could go on for years before anything will be decided.

Yer... I doubt they have a shread of anything that will actually standup in an English court. It ain't US court... and English courts don't do all this silly USA suing nonsense well. From reading that statement it absolutely says that IB believe the intellectual property created here is theirs to own... absolute rot. Unless Kier and Mike created this in their spare time whilst working for IB, or mapped it out as the next VB when employed by them... then IB don't stand a chance of getting this software. That is inheritably what their statement makes... they believe XF is theirs to own via intellectual property.

Maybe they lack the creative ability to produce VB5.x?

Well if VB did win we'd almost certainly be told to stop running XF immediately and those who don't would be treated like those running pirated VB with calls to our web hosts to shut us down if we don't comply. We can't be sued or anything, worst case is we're out the cost of our license(s).

LOL Anthony, you are right on, I guess if IB hired a bricklayer they would tell him he could not build another building after leaving their employ.

What a joke and that is how the UK courts will view this lunacy !!!

Well if VB did win we'd almost certainly be told to stop running XF immediately and those who don't would be treated like those running pirated VB with calls to our web hosts to shut us down if we don't comply. We can't be sued or anything, worst case is we're out the cost of our license(s).
vBulletin can't win. If they "win" in court, they will still "loose" in society. In fact they already have. This court case will hopefully be the final nail in the coffin.

LOL Anthony, you are right on, I guess if IB hired a bricklayer they would tell him he could not build another building after leaving their employ.

What a joke and that is how the UK courts will view this lunacy !!!
That is a good example, I did not think of it that way. I have been holding out on updating my forums from 3.8 because I don't like what I see in 4.0. When I seen XenForo I was a bit excited, and now this Lawsuit.

Thank you for posting this, Dwayne. :)

The fact is that only IB and the XenForo guys know the actual content of the lawsuit, and can say something credible (with legal consultation I presume) whether there is any substance to the lawsuit or not. I personally do NOT think that the XenForo team would have ever even have thought of doing anything so absurd and unethical, but the reality is that there IS a lawsuit.

Like a few others over here, I would really love to hear something from the XenForo Team, because I REALLY REALLY want to buy XF and support the guys too, and any comment from their side would probably help us make the decision to go on with the purchase of a brand new shiny XF license.

I think as product is now out and case in court, we all should stop this discussion. We all know, there is a certain amount of risk and we bought after considering that.

Let's not do more speculation, lets focus on install and reporting error, so Gold comes out ASAP

just my .000002 cents

I think as product is now out and case in court, we all should stop this discussion. We all know, there is a certain amount of risk and we bought after considering that.

Let's not do more speculation, lets focus on install and reporting error, so Gold comes out ASAP

just my .000002 cents

My friend, it is exactly speculation and risk which we want to avoid through this thread. We aren't expecting members to speculate over here, rather to hear, if possible, from the XenForo team anything which can help us out. :)

just my .000002 cents

LOL. it is the biggest story in the IT news sector at the moment, not just in the forum space.

Microsoft was reading a thread about it on my forum today.

07:37 PM Guest Viewing Thread
Internet Brands, Inc is sued in Federal Court by former owner of Flyertalk.com
tide539.microsoft.com
Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0)

I'd appreciate if members (like me) who are not sure about the facts of this matter stop speculation.
Let's hear the right answer from the right people (Mkie, Kier and Ashley). :)

Thanks.

Sorry but here is my problem with purchasing this software. If some how this lawsuit is won by IB then I would be left with another $100 or $140 dollar software that is useless. So in the end I could have the same issue with xF as I do with vb now. There is no way the devs here would reimburse everyone with the costs of the litigation.

To make it clear I would love to purchase xF but for the reasons I would leave vb could also happen here. Might not be this year or next but it can happen. I have really be checking here almost every hour on the hour hoping to see some official comment but I understand if they don't make an announcement.

Dwayne, don't worry about the software being taken from you, XF has lawyers to defend their position, IB is not going to win, this is a bluff man, it is all hot air just like Ray Morgan's pre-sale scam and Bob Brisco's fraudulent licensing scheme.

Exactly.. That is why they changed the rules now at IB for licensing. They tried to get away with it all and really.. realized it didn't help much.

Biggest story does not mean every one has to waste their time gossiping about what may happen. Initial thread I think was okay as there was curiosity on whether XF will release it today or not. That thread cross some 1000s of posts.

Licenses is released, lot of people bought, what's the point again creating similar thread and discussing same thing again?

LOL. it is the biggest story in the IT news sector at the moment, not just in the forum space.

Microsoft was reading a thread about it on my forum today.

Sorry but here is my problem with purchasing this software. If some how this lawsuit is won by IB then I would be left with another $100 or $140 dollar software that is useless. So in the end I could have the same issue with xF as I do with vb now. There is no way the devs here would reimburse everyone with the costs of the litigation.

To make it clear I would love to purchase xF but for the reasons I would leave vb could also happen here. Might not be this year or next but it can happen. I have really be checking here almost every hour on the hour hoping to see some official comment but I understand if they don't make an announcement.

I think you should purchase it. You will save $40 and I doubr Mike or Kier would go through with this.. if they had any doubts. The last thing the guys want to do is rip us all off. We gave them so much support, that it doesn't make sense for them to screw us over.

As mattter is in legal courts, XF has shown enough maturity not to utter a word about it and do their job. No one expect the judge can tell you which way case will go. As I said, there is a risk, worst case IB will win and shut down XF. If you are prepared for worst case that may takes months, years or ages, don't buy it. If you are willing to take risk and support a startup, buy it.

PS: This is not against you, I am talking in general for anyone who is asking I want to buy but tell me if XF can win, then only I will buy folks.

Top Bottom