How will the Lawsuit affect customers?

Well, drop out of the conversation Sagar, you can bet that the lawyers are reading, this is how their research assistants build a case, on information in the public sector, nothing is hidden in the end unless censorship is engaged in by the administrators.

Sorry but here is my problem with purchasing this software. If some how this lawsuit is won by IB then I would be left with another $100 or $140 dollar software that is useless. So in the end I could have the same issue with xF as I do with vb now. There is no way the devs here would reimburse everyone with the costs of the litigation.

To make it clear I would love to purchase xF but for the reasons I would leave vb could also happen here. Might not be this year or next but it can happen. I have really be checking here almost every hour on the hour hoping to see some official comment but I understand if they don't make an announcement.

An "official comment from Kier" is no assurance of anything in regard to the legal outcome of this case.

So if you are that worried about your XF software "being taken away from you" go to MyBB and get a free script.

I think you should purchase it. You will save $40 and I doubr Mike or Kier would go through with this.. if they had any doubts. The last thing the guys want to do is rip us all off. We gave them so much support, that it doesn't make sense for them to screw us over.

I do not think they are out to screw us at all. I do think they can deliver the product that everyone needs.

As mattter is in legal courts, XF has shown enough maturity not to utter a word about it and do their job. No one expect the judge can tell you which way case will go. As I said, there is a risk, worst case IB will win and shut down XF. If you are prepared for worst case that may takes months, years or ages, don't buy it. If you are willing to take risk and support a startup, buy it.

PS: This is not against you, I am talking in general for anyone who is asking I want to buy but tell me if XF can win, then only I will buy folks.

Very reasonable, it just has the feeling like the vb pre-sale "get it now or else" especially with it being for 1 day. Granted they do not have the huge price increase or the mess in the license agreement. It's vb fault too but I just feel the need to be cautious and I'm sure their our others that feel the same.

There is fundamental difference. First price difference between current price and sale price is decent not ridiculously high like VB4.

Second and more important, you get the Beta moment you pay, you get the software which is running without issues, carrying 100s of users and huge load due to unprecedented circumstances successfully. So you are getting immediate access to software that has been tested in decent production environment.

I do not think they are out to screw us at all. I do think they can deliver the product that everyone needs.
Very reasonable, it just has the feeling like the vb pre-sale "get it now or else" especially with it being for 1 day. Granted they do not have the huge price increase or the mess in the license agreement. It's vb fault too but I just feel the need to be cautious and I'm sure their our others that feel the same.

It's not about the product. It's about them closing due to some uncircumstance.

The fee is reasonable and they HAVE to charge a presale fee. Why? Because, they can't really go out anf give the beta for free. And they probably need some start up costs too. If they have 10,000 downloads.. they need to pay for a server too.

$100 is WAY reasonable than vB with $200. You paid double essentially for beta, where here we pay half that much and at least get a better community. Heck, back in the day vB costed $160.. so this is nothing. Although I believe in 1-2 yrs the price for XF will go up from $140 to $160 sooner or later with enough demand.

I think there is some misunderstanding regarding the purpose of this thread, guys. And do correct me if I am wrong.

This thread is meant not to speculate or post about how the lawsuit is going to affect XenForo or who is going to win the lawsuit. It is from a purely customer point of view, as the title "How will the Lawsuit affect customers?" suggests.

We are not asking anyone, not even the XenForo team, to come here and post or guarantee us that the accusations / lawsuit are baseless and shall not stand, which I am already pretty sure they are. We all realize that only time shall tell us how this is going to work out and may I once again wish the XenForo team the VERY BEST.

At the moment, we are only trying to understand that if things do not go as we all are hoping they do, (that XenForo TOTALLY kicks IB's behind, regarding sales as well as in court), what could be the impact on customers. We are all going on a new path with XenForo, and I personally think that this would have crossed all of our minds.

This happens to be the only point where I am a bit shy of buying a license right now.

I think there is some misunderstanding regarding the purpose of this thread, guys. And do correct me if I am wrong.

This thread is meant not to speculate or post about how the lawsuit is going to affect XenForo or who is going to win the lawsuit. It is from a purely customer point of view, as the title "How will the Lawsuit affect customers?" suggests.

We are not asking anyone, not even the XenForo team, to come here and post or guarantee us that the accusations / lawsuit are baseless and shall not stand, which I am already pretty sure they are. We all realize that only time shall tell us how this is going to work out and may I once again wish the XenForo team the VERY BEST.

At the moment, we are only trying to understand that if things do not go as we all are hoping they do, (that XenForo TOTALLY kicks IB's behind, regarding sales as well as in court), what could be the impact on customers. We are all going on a new path with XenForo, and I personally think that this would have crossed all of our minds.

This happens to be the only point where I am a bit shy of buying a license right now.

I almost could swear this thread was in the Pre-Sale forum, for some reason it's now in the Off Topic forum.
I also thought/and I still think this thread was directed to XF team to form a potential customer who is worried about the future of XF and the license that he might purchase.

Am I thinking wrong?

You are right, Ahmed. This thread was in the Pre-Sale forum, but I think that the move is justified because this is not strictly about the Pre-sale or even sales as a whole, rather about the impact on the customers.

Your second point is valid too. :)

Here are my thoughts. There is the law and then there is the reality. Frequently the two do not meet. The issue is whether you believe that the chance you will lose your right to have a XF is very small.

Even if you assume the worst that IB has a case and will win, do you even think for a second that IB will shut down the thousands of XF community sites that are up? If you thought this lawsuit created negative publicity, what do you think will happen when tens of thousands (and perhaps more) of people will think after being displaced? I'm sure that many of these people are the same forum obsessed people who have participated on IB's own forum communities. They will have to work out something with those XF community owners.

Best guess:
(a) At worst, you'll be paying someone else for upgrades
(b) This is all assuming that there is a valid case, none of which has been presented yet other than what amounts to bare allegations at this point in time.
(c) XF will pay damages and everyone will move on
(d) Given all of the above, it's not a whole lot of money to "risk"

Here are my thoughts. There is the law and then there is the reality. Frequently the two do not meet. The issue is whether you believe that the chance you will lose your right to have a XF is very small.

Even if you assume the worst that IB has a case and will win, do you even think for a second that IB will shut down the thousands of XF community sites that are up? If you thought this lawsuit created negative publicity, what do you think will happen when tens of thousands (and perhaps more) of people will think after being displaced? I'm sure that many of these people are the same forum obsessed people who have participated on IB's own forum communities. They will have to work out something with those XF community owners.

Best guess:
(a) At worst, you'll be paying someone else for upgrades
(b) This is all assuming that there is a valid case, none of which has been presented yet other than what amounts to bare allegations at this point in time.
(c) XF will pay damages and everyone will move on
(d) Given all of the above, it's not a whole lot of money to "risk"

I really hope that that is what happens, Michael. :)

For me I don't care about the money we pay for XF, I'm only scared about losing XF itself as a product and a forum software. I also don't wish to see Ashley, Kier and Mike get eaten by IB.

For me I don't care about the money we pay for XF, I'm only scared about losing XF itself as a product and a forum software. I also don't wish to see Ashley, Kier and Mike get eaten by IB.
There is nothing anyone can do about it, unfortunately. I read the article in The Register. It seems all the details about the legal issues are contained in the complaint which couldn't be provided to them. I'll have to wait to get mine since they are all out of PDFs.

There is nothing anyone can do about it, unfortunately. I read the article in The Register. It seems all the details about the legal issues are contained in the complaint which couldn't be provided to them. I'll have to wait to get mine since they are all out of PDFs.

Be interesting to hear your opinion when we do get proper information

I don't think anything will be drastic if XF loses. Actually, iB has the cash and resources to purchase the whole thing.

This.

This thread probably needs some attention, I will let another mod do that. In the meantime *please* stop with the personal insults regarding individuals.
Thanks Dean. I hope that you realize that we do not mean to insult anyone here or cause any trouble. :)

Dear Kier, Mike and Ashley,

I hope it wouldn't be too much to ask if you could perhaps pay us a visit here and help us out a bit. :)

Top Bottom