Hover Over Title Is Awesome

Brandon_R

You're probably reading this from an overlay in the forum or search results, if so doesn't it rock?

Just a mockup of what a thin vs think border looks like.

Thick
screen-shot-2010-08-27-at-8-54-24-am-png.1289

Thin
screen-shot-2010-08-27-at-8-53-36-am-png.1288

It is great that you guys are listening to the customer feedback and willing to reconsider choices and testing things out, before you decide on something that makes it into the final build that will go on sale.

I still find it privileged that we can be here and be part of that. And really appreciate it that we can voice ourselves.

Keep up the good work :)

It is great that you guys are listening to the customer feedback and willing to reconsider choices and testing things out, before you decide on something that makes it into the final build that will go on sale.

I still find it privileged that we can be here and be part of that. And really appreciate it that we can voice ourselves.

I second that well said floris.

Turning it off requires that you uninstall XenForo, format the hard drive on your server, move it to a new data center and turn yourself around three times while throwing salt over your left shoulder ;)

I am not a techie, can you help me with this ? :p
Salt is in the kitchen, though.....

While it's possibly true that your pageviews will decrease from users not clicking the threads, pageviews don't necessarily equal happy users. Just something to think about. Obviously every board has different needs, and I'm not suggesting that all boards should leave it on. But consider your reasons for disabling it before changing that setting.

Turning it off requires that you uninstall XenForo, format the hard drive on your server, move it to a new data center and turn yourself around three times while throwing salt over your left shoulder ;)
Maybe XenForo isn't right for me. I was fine until you told me to turn myself around three times. Not worth it.

You said: ... and I pointed out that the exact same border and shadow are used on the quick navigation menu, the style chooser, the poll results and 'show all likes' overlays. If you think that the border styling is not in keeping with the rest of the XenForo style, surely these other components which use the same border styling are also not in keeping? I am confused as to what you are suggesting.

Hehe :)... it is sometimes difficult to communicate electronically. What I mean by 'the otherwise light style design of XF' is the style that surrounds the tooltip. Meaning... all the elements that you see when the tooltip is active. So, this doesn't include the Style Chooser, Likes Overview etc. This is what people mean in this discussion mean when they comment on the style of the tooltip not in line with the rest of the design. Yeah, I understand your confusion because it has the exact same style as the elements you've pointed out.

So my point is just that: '...those elements you refer to are not in the way of my browsing experience... the tooltip is. That is the difference.'.

It's just a minor thing that more people commented on initially and I understand why. Still... it looks really great to begin with :cool:.

(ps to XenMods... why is this discussion placed in Offtopic?)

I warmly (<--- is this even correct English?) agree with everything you state. XenForo ltd. is doing such an awesome job, on many levels. I am sincerely very thankful for that.

In the coming week, we will be moving the tooltip above the title, which I'm sure will make the popup less intrusive. Unfortunately, doing so means that we have to abandon out current javascript implementation for it, as it doesn't support some of the positioning logic, otherwise I would have already rolled it out here.
Does that mean a change in this?
If first post snippets are to be fetched along with the list of threads, it requires joining the post table to the thread table in the SQL query that grabs the list of threads. This has a major performance penalty and we decided not to do it for the sake of thread previews that are often not going to be seen.

Personally I am deeply grateful for any thread preview at all, thank you!!!!

We will fine tune the delay for our site as needed. I could be completely wrong, but setting the delay to an extremely high value such as 2-4 seconds could have the effect of 'semi-disabling' the thread preview, where it could still be used when it is truly needed, but not be popping up for the novices or during normal use if that is what is desired.

Sometimes, especially as an admin, I there are threads that I "don't want to deal with right now" because clicking on the thread could consume a considerable amount of time. But once the thread is clicked on, I need to address the situation or leave a browser tab open so remind me to come back and deal with it. I have a lot of tabs open all the time for that reason already. :oops:

I just don´t like it..

It´s to big and bloated for my taste, it tooks to long to load and it´s just irritating if you move your mouse over threads/forumslists to see boxes pop up and fade out...

Will there be an admin-option to turn it off?

I just don´t like it..

It´s to big and bloated for my taste, it tooks to long to load and it´s just irritating if you move your mouse over threads/forumslists to see boxes pop up and fade out...

Will there be an admin-option to turn it off?

You should be able to restyle it as you like also, so not to worry :)

Top Bottom